Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Ben Lahnger

Scientists use nanotech robots as cancer gene therapy for first time in humans

Scientists use nanotech robots as cancer gene therapy for first time in humans

Caltech-led team provides proof in humans of RNA interference using targeted nanoparticles

Mar 21 2010, 2:20 PM EST

Researchers unveil scientific results from siRNA Phase I clinical trial in cancer patients

PASADENA, Calif.A California Institute of Technology (Caltech)-led team of researchers and clinicians has published the first proof that a targeted nanoparticleused as an experimental therapeutic and injected directly into a patient's bloodstreamcan traffic into tumors, deliver double-stranded small interfering RNAs (siRNAs), and turn off an important cancer gene using a mechanism known as RNA interference (RNAi). Moreover, the team provided the first demonstration that this new type of therapy, infused into the bloodstream, can make its way to human tumors in a dose-dependent fashioni.e., a higher number of nanoparticles sent into the body leads to a higher number of nanoparticles in the tumor cells.

These results, published in the March 21 advance online edition of the journal Nature, demonstrate the feasibility of using both nanoparticles and RNAi-based therapeutics in patients, and open the door for future "game-changing" therapeutics that attack cancer and other diseases at the genetic level, says Mark Davis, the Warren and Katharine Schlinger Professor of Chemical Engineering at Caltech, and the research team's leader.

Image Caption: This targeted nanoparticle used in the study and shown in this schematic is made of a unique polymer and can make its way to human tumor cells in a dose-dependent fashion. Credit: Caltech/Derek Bartlett Usage Restrictions: With credit as given.

The discovery of RNA interference, the mechanism by which double strands of RNA silence genes, won researchers Andrew Fire and Craig Mello the 2006 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. The scientists first reported finding this novel mechanism in worms in a 1998 Nature paper. Since then, the potential for this type of gene inhibition to lead to new therapies for diseases like cancer has been highly touted.

"RNAi is a new way to stop the production of proteins," says Davis. What makes it such a potentially powerful tool, he adds, is the fact that its target is not a protein. The vulnerable areas of a protein may be hidden within its three-dimensional folds, making it difficult for many therapeutics to reach them. In contrast, RNA interference targets the messenger RNA (mRNA) that encodes the information needed to make a protein in the first place.

"In principle," says Davis, "that means every protein now is druggable because its inhibition is accomplished by destroying the mRNA. And we can go after mRNAs in a very designed way given all the genomic data that are and will become available."

(more at the article linked in the headline)

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
ape descendant

YES!!!! YES!!!!!!!!! Science FTW!!! This is exciting stuff!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Hmm, very interesting. I wonder if this could be used to target viruses as well since viruses are nothing if they cannot transfer their DNA. A world without cancer and viruses. Though I wonder, with the competition for human hosts cut down, would bacteria and parasites increase in order to fill the void.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
vindicatedxjin

I heard about this... it's amazing and scary all at once.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Raptor

Not nanobots but still awesome technology, good find.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Lethe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Hmm, very interesting. I wonder if this could be used to target viruses as well since viruses are nothing if they cannot transfer their DNA. A world without cancer and viruses. Though I wonder, with the competition for human hosts cut down, would bacteria and parasites increase in order to fill the void.
Another option for the viruses or bacteria would be to adapt to resist the RNAi through a plasmid containing a code for some sort of inducer, keeping the operon for the harmful protein on, and the cancer present.
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote