Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

Saxophones

I think this is the biggest thing I've bought out of a whim.
Well, I haven't actually bought it yet, but out of a whim I decided I'm going to buy a saxophone.
Now, I know that saxophones run on about a thousand dollars, and I don't have that amount of money. So does anyone have any tips for what to be wary looking for a cheap sax, like at pawn shops or eBay?
Also, what would be better, an alto sax, or a tenor sax? Both have their advantages and uses, but (amateurish as it might sound) let's just say I'm wondering which one would seem to fit me better, alto or tenor.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
PortraitOfSanity

I played the tenor saxophone in high school. I never got really good on it, but I love the sound of a sax. One of the most human sounding instruments in my opinion, it's just such an emotional voice. I really don't like the alto or the piccolo sax, they're too high. The baritone sax is nice, but it's really heavy. Not a fan of it. I'd go with the tenor.

I'm not an expert, but some things to look for:

Pads on the keys, make sure they're made out of good material, cheap stuff will harden and not cover the holes effectively as they get old. It'll start to sound like shit.

Dents are, for the most part, ok. They usually won't effect the sound unless they're on a key. But bent keys are an instant reason to not even consider the instrument.

Key action. If it feels too stiff to you, or too loose, it won't be a good fit. Sometimes you can get used to a fit, but usually you want to find one that feels nice to you.

Mouthpiece. This is of course replaceable, but usually a softer plastic indicates a better mouthpiece. Really hard plastic will crack with age.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'll post more as it comes to me.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Chumley

Go with a tenor. They're way more versatile. What kind of stuff are you going to want to play?
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
PortraitOfSanity

The tenor has the prettiest voice out of all of them too, in my opinion anyway.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

The sax is just for my personal satisfaction and relaxation, although realistically, I might end up on a ska band.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
PortraitOfSanity

Alto is most common in ska I believe, so if you're buying ONLY to play ska, I'd consider an alto.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Saya

No love for alto? I haven't played it in quite some time but I really liked the alto, had a very sweet sound to it, but sometimes I did feel like a tenor sound and sadly an alto isn't capable of the same deep brassy sound a tenor makes. I would recommend listening to lots of sound clips for both alto and tenor, and go with the sound you like best.

I'm personally wary of buying expensive things online, definately just take a look around and see what different stores are offering. I got mine on a rent to own, I'd suggest that if its at all possible, that way you can at least try it out for a while and if you end up not really liking it, you didn't waste a lot of money on it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
PortraitOfSanity

Oh yea, I forgot about renting, good suggestion Saya. A lot of places offer a rent/buy thing, where you rent the instrument, and once you've paid rental fees totaling whatever it would cost to buy it, you own it.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Haunted House

If you learn "Black Madonna" by Theatre of Hate (or was it Spear of Destiny?) I'll love you forever.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
Minyaliel

There´s nothing more sexy than

1) a good- looking guitar god
2) a person with a tenor sax

... I think I´m being very biased, but I´d say go with the tenor sax.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Godslayer Jillian

Ok, resurrecting this thread. I think I've mentioned that I did buy it, but now, I need some tips and suggestions if anyone knows some good ones.
Anyone knows of a website that can introduce me to the basics of playing bossa nova on the saxophone?
Also, any reccomendations on how to improve my technique and improvisation? Pentatonic and blues scales only go so far; or is thinking that my first mistake?
Anyway, things like that, any help is welcome.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Bete Noire

Some scales:

http://drfeezell.com/freesheetmusic/...ales/index.asp
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #13
Appassionata

I personally am not very knowledgeable about saxophones, but I do prefer the sound of an alto sax over a tenor. I think it sounds much more lovelier.
Appassionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
Ebbhead

I've been playing the alto since I was 11, but am hopelessly out of practice these days. I can't remember how much it cost but I'm sure you can get a decent model second hand. It's all about the quality of the reed at the end of the day, a large pack of (kinda expensive) Vandorens should see you through the year if you play constantly.
Ebbhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
Alan

So, I got invited to a band today. But I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about it. How can I make sure I'm ready to actually play in a band?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #16
Duane

Give it a try, you can always quit if you don't feel your ready, but at least make an attempt. Who knows, you might find that you want to go career.

If you guys do a cover of Touch me by the Doors, put it on youtube, or something.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #17
Still Jack

Like Duane says, Alan, just give it a shot. You may gel straight away and your band's gonna be the best thing since sliced bread, or it's gonna be shit, or it's gonna be mediocre, you'll have a few gigs and then call it a day. You've just got to play around a bit.