Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
bleedingheart344

Third Hand Smoke. Really?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...3smoke.html?em

Parents who smoke often open a window or turn on a fan to clear the air for their children, but experts now have identified a related threat to children’s health that isn’t as easy to get rid of: third-hand smoke.

That’s the term being used to describe the invisible yet toxic brew of gases and particles clinging to smokers’ hair and clothing, not to mention cushions and carpeting, that lingers long after second-hand smoke has cleared from a room. The residue includes heavy metals, carcinogens and even radioactive materials that young children can get on their hands and ingest, especially if they’re crawling or playing on the floor.

Doctors from MassGeneral Hospital for Children in Boston coined the term “third-hand smoke” to describe these chemicals in a new study that focused on the risks they pose to infants and children. The study was published in this month’s issue of the journal Pediatrics.

“Everyone knows that second-hand smoke is bad, but they don’t know about this,” said Dr. Jonathan P. Winickoff, the lead author of the study and an assistant professor of pediatrics at Harvard Medical School.

“When their kids are out of the house, they might smoke. Or they smoke in the car. Or they strap the kid in the car seat in the back and crack the window and smoke, and they think it’s okay because the second-hand smoke isn’t getting to their kids,” Dr. Winickoff continued. “We needed a term to describe these tobacco toxins that aren’t visible.”

Third-hand smoke is what one smells when a smoker gets in an elevator after going outside for a cigarette, he said, or in a hotel room where people were smoking. “Your nose isn’t lying,” he said. “The stuff is so toxic that your brain is telling you: ’Get away.’”

The study reported on attitudes toward smoking in 1,500 households across the United States. It found that the vast majority of both smokers and nonsmokers were aware that second-hand smoke is harmful to children. Some 95 percent of nonsmokers and 84 percent of smokers agreed with the statement that “inhaling smoke from a parent’s cigarette can harm the health of infants and children.”

But far fewer of those surveyed were aware of the risks of third-hand smoke. Since the term is so new, the researchers asked people if they agreed with the statement that “breathing air in a room today where people smoked yesterday can harm the health of infants and children.” Only 65 percent of nonsmokers and 43 percent of smokers agreed with that statement, which researchers interpreted as acknowledgement of the risks of third-hand smoke.

The belief that second-hand smoke harms children’s health was not independently associated with strict smoking bans in homes and cars, the researchers found. On the other hand, the belief that third-hand smoke was harmful greatly increased the likelihood the respondent also would enforce a strict smoking ban at home, Dr. Winickoff said.

“That tells us we’re onto an important new health message here,” he said. “What we heard in focus group after focus group was, ‘I turn on the fan and the smoke disappears.’ It made us realize how many people think about second-hand smoke — they’re telling us they know it’s bad but they’ve figured out a way to do it.”

The data was collected in a national random-digit-dial telephone survey done between September and November 2005. The sample was weighted by race and gender, based on census information.

Dr. Philip Landrigan, a pediatrician who heads the Children’s Environmental Health Center at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, said the phrase third-hand smoke is a brand-new term that has implications for behavior.

“The central message here is that simply closing the kitchen door to take a smoke is not protecting the kids from the effects of that smoke,” he said. “There are carcinogens in this third-hand smoke, and they are a cancer risk for anybody of any age who comes into contact with them.”

Among the substances in third-hand smoke are hydrogen cyanide, used in chemical weapons; butane, which is used in lighter fluid; toluene, found in paint thinners; arsenic; lead; carbon monoxide; and even polonium-210, the highly radioactive carcinogen that was used to murder former Russian spy Alexander V. Litvinenko in 2006. Eleven of the compounds are highly carcinogenic.

People are really grasping for straws to justify the criminalization of smoking but this seems a tad much considering there is STILL no evidence of second-hand smoke killing anyone.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Haunted House

Thats why I think that smoking laws should go back to being like they were in the 20's and 30's. ANYONE can smoke ANYWHERE so everyone is used to it. Sure the life expectancy of people in the US would drop by a few years, but people are living longer nowadays anyway.

Please note, this post is not 100% serious.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
KontanKarite

Oh my god...

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Mr. Filth

Sound like regular old 2nd hand smoke to me.

3rd hand smoke would be more like if I were to shotgun smoke into a girl's mouth, she swallowed the smoke and then farted in a kids face.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
harlow

That's just cruel and unusual punishment to put a kid though fart smoke, don't you know that's the second leading cause of autism
harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Deadmanwalking_05

Then it would lead to Fourth hand and then maybe Fifth hand smoke.

(Stop the endless cycle of smoke you blood thirsty bastards!)

*Lights Marlboro* It's just evil!

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Mr. Filth

The second leading cause of autism is breeding through deadman's bloodline.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Haunted House

I hear they're working on discovering 13th hand smoke. It involves the extradimensional travel of cigarette smoke that soaks into the clothing of time travelers and is brought back with then to their own time to cause absolutely no damage whatsoever to the people there.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Filth
The second leading cause of autism is breeding through deadman's bloodline.
I knew you looked like family

Old 01-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
I Am Great.

This thread = Hilarity.
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Mr. Filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05
I knew you looked like family
I'm the black sheep. The, hugely afraid of raep, black sheep.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
Deadmanwalking_05

*Hands Filth a pistol and ammo* that should take care of things for ya'.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
harlow

Ceder whackers!
harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #14
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingheart344
...there is STILL no evidence of second-hand smoke killing anyone.
Yes there is. Check out the Wikipedia article on this. I don't support most of the recent government actions against smoking, but there's no reason to obscure the facts.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #15
I Am Great.

It's a fact that Wikipedia is a legitimate source of information. It says so on Wikipedia!
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
PortraitOfSanity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia

The most well written and well-referenced article on Wikipedia, is about Wikipedia.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
bleedingheart344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
Yes there is. Check out the Wikipedia article on this. I don't support most of the recent government actions against smoking, but there's no reason to obscure the facts.
From what I've seen so far, they keep throwing out numbers of people dying due to second-hand smoke but I have yet to actually see someone use something like an autopsy report to actually back up what they're saying. If anyone can honestly find concrete evidence besides statistics, please feel free to link.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #18
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Great.
It's a fact that Wikipedia is a legitimate source of information. It says so on Wikipedia!
That's a canard. Wikipedia doesn't pretend to be an authoritative primary source. The point is that it's an enormously useful secondary source. The text of the actual articles can and does contain distortions and errors from time to time, as with any secondary source. That's why you use the references and citations. If you think you're doing good scholarship without doing so, you're kidding yourself, regardless of whether we're talking about Wikipedia, Britannica, CNN, or whatever.

Ironically, Wikipedia is in fact a good (secondary) source on the reliability of Wikipedia. There's an entire article on the topic. It discusses studies of independant third parties, criticisms and accusations, etc. There are no simplistic, self-congratulatory reassurances about how accurate Wikipedia is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingheart344
From what I've seen so far, they keep throwing out numbers of people dying due to second-hand smoke but I have yet to actually see someone use something like an autopsy report to actually back up what they're saying. If anyone can honestly find concrete evidence besides statistics, please feel free to link.
It's the same type of evidence you normally get in epidemiology. It's not like coroners produce reports that say "Subject expired due to cardiac arrest attributable to Big Mac with extra onions, large fries, and super-size Coca Cola consumed at 6:17 pm last Thursday." You can cover your eyes and plug your ears if you want, but it's irresponsible to go around encouraging others to do the same by actively spreading misinformation.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote