Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:03 PM   #1376
Pathogen.

"The Pit & The Pendulum". I love Poe. I love Vincent Price. Never seen this flick, but your post has inspired me to check it out. The closest flick I've seen to it was "Fall Of The House Of Usher". Oldschool Hammer horror flicks. Cutty. And I agree with Beo & Ben on this one; modern horror films are more spectacle-oriented [blood-&-guts and C.G.I. effects] rather than focused on telling a story & actually frightening folks on a visceral [emotional/psychological] level. That's why older horror flicks were better. That's why modern Japanese horror flicks ["The Grudge" & "Ringu", for instance] are so much better than some absolute garbage like the 2005 remake of "House Of Wax". That's what I enjoyed about
"The Others".
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #1377
Pathogen.

*Point Blank [1967] [1 of the world's 1st Neo-Noir films. A simple revenge story well-done].

*A Patch Of Blue [1965] [I'm not a big fan of romance films at all, but what made this 1 special was the story. A young man helps out/befriends a blind White woman from a dysfunctional home--grandfather's a drunk & her mother's an abusive, racist whore--who doesn't realise that the man she's fallen in love with is Black. A perfect film for the Civil Rights Movement period].
Old 03-21-2006, 07:49 PM   #1378
roserougesang

Last movie I saw was Tim Burton's Corpse Bride which I bought on DVD. It's nowhere near as good as Nightmare Before Christmas but it is still fun to watch. I like how it is set in the Victorian era, I love period films and, of course, Johnny Depp films like Sleepy Hollow and From Hell.
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:20 AM   #1379
Pathogen.

Boyz N The Hood [1991].
Old 03-22-2006, 09:39 AM   #1380
cinaria

I watched the Return to Oz last night then I watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for the millionth time. Hee hee, we can't stop here......this is bat country!!!

I really want to see V for Vendetta. I have a hard-on for Hugo Weaving.....But unfortunately he doesn't have elf-ears.....Mmmm......elf-ears....
cinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #1381
tenet_2012

I watched "Syriana" last night.

Excellent movie.

*George Clooney is really hot*

Going to watch "King Kong" today. I can't wait.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #1382
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenet_2012
I watched "Syriana" last night.

Excellent movie.

*George Clooney is really hot*

Going to watch "King Kong" today. I can't wait.
OOh, King Kong is so good! Hehe, it's too long though. Have a great time tenet!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #1383
tekajo

i watched Donnie Darko this morning. Actually this is the second time i've watched it. The first time was at my friend's house, we were a tad bit stoned, so all i could remember was a big ass bunny rabbit.

i found it at Wal-Mart yesterday for five bucks.

Interesting movie to say the least.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:38 AM   #1384
tenet_2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekajo
i watched Donnie Darko this morning. Actually this is the second time i've watched it. The first time was at my friend's house, we were a tad bit stoned, so all i could remember was a big ass bunny rabbit.

"Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:40 AM   #1385
tekajo

"What are feces?"
"Baby mice"
"Aww."
That was classic.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #1386
+If I Died Would You Cry+

The last movie i watched was "The Hills Have Eyes" it was pretty good kinda scary but mostly just disturbing.
+If I Died Would You Cry+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:50 PM   #1387
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by +If I Died Would You Cry+
The last movie i watched was "The Hills Have Eyes" it was pretty good kinda scary but mostly just disturbing.
The original 1977 version or the new 2006 remake? Which?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #1388
cinaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekajo

I ADORE Donnie Darko! I love when he tells that motivational speaker (pedophile) that he's the fucking antichrist. That one line sent me into gales of laughter for about ten minutes.
cinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #1389
Beowulf

Cool There's something nasty in Lionel's cellar - His family!

Braindead (1992, Directed by Peter Jackson)

101 interesting things to do with a lawnmower

1. Cut grass.

2. Useful for defending yourself against flesh eating zombies.

This is one of my favourite films by Peter Jackson, it is a fantastic mix of horror, gore, and humour, it`s brilliant.

"Braindead (New Zealand 1992), released as Dead Alive in North America, is an extreme zombie horror-comedy directed by Peter Jackson. It is in the same vein as Jackson's earlier works Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles but Braindead is rather more polished, with a budget of around $3 million. Although it starts with the capture of a zombie-creating creature on the eerie Skull Island, the opening half of the film is a relatively low-key period piece. It isn't until the film's second half when it spirals into a gore-caked zombie film - which many consider the goriest movie ever made. "Website
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:31 AM   #1390
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Ultra Violet.

It's complete shit.

They don't delve nearly enough into the character's backgrounds for one thing.

The fight scenes are a blatant rip-off of everything ever done in The Matrix. They're also timed badly. When you can see someone waiting to be signaled to attack, that's just bad. The editors should be fired.

None of the technology is explained it's just kind of there.

And if you didn't clearly here the word "VAMPIRE!" in your brain the first time the phrase 'hemophage' is uttered, then you haven't read enough horror.

Meh! Recycled plot line, bad acting, I almost fell asleep!

Don't watch this movie.

Read a book.

WOLFMOON: I knew that "Ultraviolet" was complete shit! I came to that conclusion after seeing the preview for it! 3 words came to mind: "Aeon Flux" rip-off! Enough said.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:43 AM   #1391
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Pathogen,

That `Goth Box` DVD sounds intresting, what else is on the DVD (I`m always on the quest for good music) ?.

I think I saw that Poe Documentry on the Biography channel a few years back, it was really good.
BEOWULF: Other music videos included on the "Goth Box" DVD are by the following bands:

*Christian Death [featuring the late Rozz Williams].
*Nosferatu.
*Eva O. [of Christian Death & Shadow Project].
*Alien Sex Fiend.
*Red Lorry Yellow Lorry.
*The Prophetess.
*Ghost Dance.
*Lords Of The New Church [featuring the late Stiv Bators of the 1970s Cleveland Punk band the Dead Boys].
*The Chameleons U.K.
*Skeletal Family.
*Executive Slacks.
*Usherhouse.
*Corpus Delecti.

The "Goth Box" DVD also has bonus audio tracks by the following bands:

*Switchblade Symphony.
*Big Electric Cat [retch!].
*The Wake.
*Alien Sex Fiend.
*Corpus Delecti.
*Christian Death [with Eva O. & the late Rozz Williams].
*Nosferatu.
*Two Witches.
*Mephisto Walz.
*Aurora.
*Die Form.
*I Will I [retch!].

[This makes me miss having the original 4-CD box set!]
Old 03-23-2006, 06:02 AM   #1392
Loy

Hold on a second.....did somebody actually say "Crash" was a good film? OK, I NEVER wanted to think about that POS again, but here goes....

"Crash"-Imagine Spike Lee's "Do The Right Thing" remade for rich white "liberals" who feel a twinge of guilt over having underpaid overworked Mexican maids....yeah, that's about it. If it weren't filled with actors who were able to go above the crappy script, it would've sunk into the world of Stanley Kramer "issue" films.

Really, what IS the main point of this film? "Racism is bad". Thanks for the update there Mr. Mencken! As if I couldn't figure that out by....oh, I dunno....living a fucking life? Really, the racist characters are so 2 dimensional and simplified that I was expecting some "whites are superior" speech to pop out from some character who was going to die a horrible, horrible death 30 seconds after spewing said speech.

Now, why the comparisson to Spike Lee? Simple-"Do The Right Thing" (aside from being a great fucking film) points out that racism isn't so much a blatant impetus to this system, but something much more subtle and abstract...it's something that develops and festers and is barely audible until the preassure is turned up....this is what Lee was so deftly able to convey with his little masterpiece, and the fact that he was not able to just confront the audience, but force them to reconsider their views...well, that just points to the backwards slide in philosophy and sociology that "Crash" had to make in order to exist even more offensive..."Racism=Bad!" Why don't you also explain that "killing is wrong" and "fucking makes babies" while you're at it.

How much did I hate this film? This much-When me and my girlfriend broke up, she took my TV. Now, as most of you know, I am a hardcore movie nerd. However, my life is so active that I don't have the time to get a new one (thus making my 1800 film movie collection call out in the middle of the night "we miss you"...really, it's true!). So a friend of mine gave me his TV. I took the TV home from work, and ended up on the phone with another movie nerd who had watched the oscars. After asking "how many awards did 'Brokeback' win?", he broke the news...I thought for a moment or two about whether I should toss my new TV out the window or not (as I said, I am very active, and it'd be another month or so before I had the time to actually get a new one), and when the thought "these people voted 'Crash' as the best film of the year", my brand new TV went out my third story window (by the way, 45 inch screens don't make as cool of a breaking sound as you'd expect...in case you were wondering). THAT's how much I hate this film.

If this film somehow brought some new light about the way racism affects our lives, all I can say is this-move out of your parents basement. Really. I have NO idea how this film can bring any new insight into this subject. At least Spkie Lee had the balls to not only be a bit more intelligent about the subject, but to also make a fucking great film, both things "Crash" is sorely lacking.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #1393
Pathogen.

Two Neo-Noir films:

*After Dark, My Sweet [1990].

*U-Turn [1997]. Directed by Oliver Stone.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #1394
Beowulf

Smile

Hi Pathogen,

I shall definatly look out for that box set (can you still get it?).

Last film I watched is an all time horror classic...

The Mummy (1932, Directed by Karl Freund)

In 1921 a field expedition in Egypt discovers the mummy of ancient Egyptian prince Im-Ho-Tep, who was condemned and buried alive for sacrilege. Also found in the tomb is the Scroll of Thoth, which can bring the dead back to life. One night a young member of the expedition reads the Scroll out loud, and then goes insane, realizing that he has brought Im-Ho-Tep back to life. Ten years later, disguised as a modern Egyptian, the mummy attempts to reunite with his lost love, an ancient princess who has been reincarnated into a beautiful young woman. IMDB

This is one of the best horror films ever.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #1395
horrorgirl

Rage:20 Years Of Punk Rock

Great movie about the early west coast punk movement featuring interveiws with Jello Biafra,Jack Grisham,Gitane Demone,etc...It was great hearing their opinions about Green Day,Rancid and all of the other radio friendly dreck being played on MTV and the radio. Basically what they said was that none of that music is punk. Why? Because it isn't filled with any rage or real feeling.It's safe sounding, which isn't what punk was ever meant to be. Which is what I have been saying for the last 10+ years. Makes me happy knowing that I am in good company. Seeing it made me want to go to some punk shows. I haven't been to any in quite a while. I won't be going into any pits,like I used to,but I will be in the back bouncing around! Both my boyfriend and I have come to the decision that we want to move to Seattle to participate in the punk scene again.

Breakin'

I love early rap/hip hop and this movie is great! It's got break dancing,early Ice-T and cheesey acting! Gotta love it!

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #1396
Loy

Horrorgirl-the punk scene in Seattle? Sorry, but most of the "punk" bands are little Eastside kids who're trying to piss off mommy and daddy. If the "Eastside" reference is lost on you, "Eastside" is interchangable with "OC", except there are more trees and Microsoft is there.

I don't neccesarilly have any beef with the Eastside kids....let's see, Modest Mouse, the Blood Brothers, and Pretty Girls Make Graves were all Eastside bands before crossing that 5 mile bridge over to civilization...but most of the bands suck now.

As far as "punk"...well, OK the Spits ARE the best punk band in the world, but most of the bands would laugh in your face if you called them "punk". Why? Most of them have already gone through puberty. And the term "punk" is as confining as any other genre.

My call? Drop the "punk" schtick, and just look for good bands. THAT'S something Seattle beats out every other city for (sorry Austin, you have cooler clubs, but we have the better groups. Deal with it, you whining Texans)
Old 03-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #1397
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
Horrorgirl-the punk scene in Seattle? Sorry, but most of the "punk" bands are little Eastside kids who're trying to piss off mommy and daddy. If the "Eastside" reference is lost on you, "Eastside" is interchangable with "OC", except there are more trees and Microsoft is there.

I don't neccesarilly have any beef with the Eastside kids....let's see, Modest Mouse, the Blood Brothers, and Pretty Girls Make Graves were all Eastside bands before crossing that 5 mile bridge over to civilization...but most of the bands suck now.

As far as "punk"...well, OK the Spits ARE the best punk band in the world, but most of the bands would laugh in your face if you called them "punk". Why? Most of them have already gone through puberty. And the term "punk" is as confining as any other genre.

My call? Drop the "punk" schtick, and just look for good bands. THAT'S something Seattle beats out every other city for (sorry Austin, you have cooler clubs, but we have the better groups. Deal with it, you whining Texans)
Since I don't live in Seattle for the moment I have no idea about what is going on there. A lot of the so called mainstream 'punk' being put out these days is indeed created by spoiled suburban brats. However, there are still bands touring whose members don't ask for money from the parents and who still believe in the punk ethos.You can be an adult and still particpate in the subculture. I volunteered at Gilman in Berkeley a few years back and I am 35. Also, there are still plenty of bands in their 30's and 40's still playing shows. Just because I am getting older doesn't mean that I have to buy into what society tells me. I will always question authority.

I listen to a lot of music besides punk, including early hip hop/rap.So I will try to catch all sorts of shows.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #1398
Loy

I dunno. I just cringe everytime somebody flies the freak flag in any way, shape or form. If you actually call yourself a punk/goth/whatever without a hint of irony in your tone, chances are you're one of the fucktards thats making it not fun for anybody anymore.

And yes, I am a former punk rocker (first show I paid for-Black Flag, with Social D and Gone opening up. And yes, we got tear gassed). And no, I'm not all anti just because it's popular. I just look at it (and any other "counterculture" movement) as this-it happenned at a specific time, and was created by a specific group of people. To try to tag somebody elses counterculture onto yourself is just a form of cannibalism, and is about as fucked up as ad agencies sending out cool hunters. In other words, create your own damned culture and stop ripping off everybody elses.

And at least come up with better names....or better yet, let others come up with the names, and you just do your own thing.

Sorry.....just got back from a shitty military town....and had to deal with all kinds of "hardcore punkers"...you know, the kinds that work at the mall, but were punk since, you know, '99.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:39 PM   #1399
horrorgirl

Was that show in LA, because if it was it could have been the same one that my ex talked about. He went to that Bad Religion show way back when down there that erupted into a riot. I have heard a lot of stories about those times.

I first got into it in the mid/late 80's. I was born a little too late to catch the first wave but I knew a lot of people from that era. I never purposely tagged myself a 'punker'. I fell into it because the music I got into(Dead Kennedys,Exploited,7 Seconds,etc...) expressed how I felt better than anything else. I spent my teen years in an upper middle class suburb but my family wasn't well off. So, basically I was a liberal stuck in the middle of a Young Republicans convention. Not fun. At my graduation ceremony people actually booed(sp?) me.HA! I laugh looking back at that. I was threatned by people where I lived and almost jumped on several occasions. If the music,etc.., didn't really matter to me I would have dropped out of all of it because having to deal with that crap all of the time was a pain in the ass.

I understand what you are saying about people trying to co-op subcultures that they have no idea about. It is very frustrating to see kids who have happy home lives and who have no real worries complain about how bad they have it. Then they will turn around and call themselves punk/goth/ghetto because they think that just by acting a certain way that they can automatically become 'something'.When I volunteered at Gilman a few years ago I would have obnoxious know everything 'straight edge' kids try to tell ME what to do. Hillarious.

I don't take myself very seriously all of the time. Trust me. However, I have always been pretty political.I have never in my life forced my views onto other people, because I think that's crap. The music is always going to mean something to me, and represent certain points of view that I still have to this day.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #1400
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy

I dunno. I just cringe everytime somebody flies the freak flag in any way, shape or form.

There's a song title in that quote of yours somewhere..

You're a beautiful man..

*sniffle*

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote