Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #26
maggot

The Nine Inch Nails.

Some of their stuff is alright, I like something like 3 of their songs, yeah, but I don't even count them as industrial or goth. Far too mainstream and watered down, if that makes any sense.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #27
DarkHeartedDemoness

I think they're just NIN, no The.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #28
Nymphetamine

Firstly, I hate threads like these because they always manage to offend people in one way or another, but seen as there is alot of this 'Mallgoth' thing going on I'm going to have to say something to get it off my chest because it's annoying and everyone feels okay to just call people mallgoth as free as they please.

Okay, I will get many people who hate me for this and I may just become public enemy number 1, but I like Slipknot, they are my favourite band, but any monkey knows they arent mallgoth, they are far from it. Slipknot are nu-metal, like KoRn. But saying that, many people will disagree, so I am open to AGREE TO DISAGREE. Whether nu-metal is nu-metal, mallmetal, crapmetal or whatever the hell you want to call it, don't cause arguements over it. It just shows how closed-minded your brain can get.

Okay.... rant over.
I apologise for offending anyone.
Hell, it's Christmas!
Everyone be happy and merry and stuff your faces because I certainly am.
Much love, Nymphetamine.
Nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:28 PM   #29
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
And, Mir, I have seen a LOT of mallgoths prance around in SoaD shirts. It's a terrible sight.
And that makes SOAD mall goth? SOAD is so far removed from anything Goth-like, its not even funny. They dont write anything that could be remotely considered goth, not do they act as such. Their music actually has meaning. I could'nt care less, what mall goths get up to. That is their problem. I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to type this.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #30
maggot

Thanks for the correction Demoness

--

...Nu-Metal is in mallgoth sound...

That being said, the definition of "mallgoth music" is music that a mallgoth would consider goth, or the media pins as goth, so hordes of p[eople listen to it, just to make themselves more goth. The intails Korn and Slipknot and SOAD.

Don't get me wrong, I like SOAD and Slipknot (not Korn, though), but that doesn't mean it isn't mallgoth sound.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #31
maggot

Eh, I meant "This entails Korn, Slipknot and SOAD."
Old 12-24-2006, 01:42 PM   #32
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I read the name Bella Morte and I wanted to scream "Oh God! Not them! They're talented!"
Anyway, I cannot think of many other mallgoth bands (is Good Charlotte still "in"?) but there seems to be an obsession with Johnny Cash in Hot Topic. Oh, and I don't know how popular he is in Hot Topic, but I would have to say Skinny Puppy also fits into the mallgoth music.
Skinny puppy is an actual band and not just something they made up on Southpark?!
Old 12-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #33
maggot

You're joking?

Yeah. Skinny Puppy exists.

I like some Puppy, but I really prefer his other project, OhGr. I've heard from a heard from a friend that the new Puppy album's gonna sound like OhGr.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #34
Godslayer Jillian

To both Nymphetamine and Mir.
I want to emphasize what Maggot said:
"Mallgoth bands" doesn't refer to a musical style. It refers to bands Mallgoths believe are "goth".
And Nymphetamine, don't be a sissy, I have declared my love for Korn and I still know they're one of the mallgoth bands.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:58 PM   #35
Mir

Oh, that clears things up a bit.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:21 AM   #36
Isotope

Listening to some mallgoth bands beside goth bands doesn't make you less gothic. And doesn't make mallgoth bands gothic
Isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 06:46 AM   #37
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I read the name Bella Morte and I wanted to scream "Oh God! Not them! They're talented!"
Anyway, I cannot think of many other mallgoth bands (is Good Charlotte still "in"?) but there seems to be an obsession with Johnny Cash in Hot Topic. Oh, and I don't know how popular he is in Hot Topic, but I would have to say Skinny Puppy also fits into the mallgoth music.

Johnny cash was the first music I ever listened to. My mum loves him, and I do to.
He was a very talented artist. I am surprised though he has a mallgoth following =/..how odd
Puppet Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #38
Splintered

Being Mallgoth doesn't effect how good the music is.

Let's give you an example that has already had some representation: Johnny Cash.

Johnny Cash is country/rock and roll/whatever. I like Johnny Cash. No. I love Johnny Cash. In my opinion, it's just good music. Yet, a lot of people don't like Johnny Cash. That doesn't mean it's not good, it just means in their opinion, it's not what they like.

How good music is, is based on opinion.

For instance, I consider myself a real big Power Metal fan. Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Demons and Wizards, Kamelot, etc. are all bands that I like. Yet, I don't like DragonForce. They supposedly fall into the genre of Power Metal. Yet, I don't like them. Plain and simple. It doesn't mean they are any more or less skilled; I just don't like them.

So. Whether it's Mallgoth or not, doesn't really matter to how good the music is. This is more just a reflection on what one thinks certain people listen to, rather then the skill, or how good it is.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #39
Puppet Master

Big power fan here, dreamevil, iced earth, hammerfall, camelot, nevermore, helloween.

Love the genre. Dragonforce though are kinda a mainstream atempt at power metal. I like them, but compared to most powermetal, they are kinda average.
Puppet Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #40
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Some mallgoth bands are good to me, I don't really care.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:52 AM   #41
Mir

Ha, I dont care what a band is labelled as. Labels do not interest me. Good music is good music, regardless.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #42
Crying_Crimson_Tears

As long as they have some sort of talent, who cares???

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:05 AM   #43
Mir

Exactly. Also, if they can churn out good music AND talk about something I can identify with, that is a bonus. i.e. Social/Political/Moral/hypocrisy/other serious issues etc.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:45 AM   #44
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master
Big power fan here, dreamevil, iced earth, hammerfall, camelot, nevermore, helloween.
Too bad Iced Earth made the mistake of hiring that scumf**k Ernie Carletti as a guitarist. I hope he's r*ped in the arse every day of the life sentence in prison he receives.

ahem...*clears throat*...sorry, just had to say that.

Anyways, I would like to add the Birthday Massacre to the "mall goth" list. I do like some of the bands mentioned, like Rammstein, Dimmu, and some Manson, but I certainly don't take offense.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #45
SKot

Mir: Yes, just to clarify what was said earlier:

Mallgoth =/= Goth, even if it does have 'goth' in the title (the 'goth' part is meant to be ironic). It basically means 'music that mallgoths listen to, and that mall stores like Hot Topic hype a lot'.

The reason Skinny Puppy or Johnny Cash can never be considered mallgoth is the same reason Bauhaus and Siouxsie can't. They were already classics on their own long ago, and never achieved their popularity through mallgoths. Mallgoths occasionally listen to them when they are told that these bands are cool. Usually it goes in phases, though. The Johnny Cash thing at mallgoth stores is probably related to popularity of the film Walk The Line, and it will likely fade away soon.

By the same logic as above, this is why Slipknot, AFI, System Of A Down and My Chemical Romance are mallgoth bands. They owe their huge popularity to mallgoths, like it or not. They are not goth bands, nor are they even all the same musical style. But when you talk about mallgoth bands, they are definitely on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjork_freak
I highly disagree that Marilyn Manson is the biggest 'mallgoth' band around. I mean, go into your local Hot Topic... how much Marilyn Manson merchandise do you see? The most I've seen is two t shirts and a few albums. Maybe Marilyn Manson was the biggest 'mallgoth' band around a number of years ago... but it seems to me that bands such as My Chemical Romance, Slipknot, and AFI are at their peak popularity at the moment.

Or maybe I don't really understand the term 'mallgoth'.
I actually said that Manson was the number one biggest mallgoth band of all time, not just of the moment. I still stand by that. Right now Manson isn't as popular as he once was (thank Goth for that!), but I've seen more mallgoths with Manson shirts than any other band in history.

Regarding Nine Inch Nails: they weren't really a mallgoth band per se (they originally got their popularity from the legitimate goth/industrial scene), but they certainly did have a hand in kicking off the whole mallgoth thing when millions of suburbanite kids started wearing their shirts and putting the NIN logo all over everything. But it was Marilyn Manson who followed that up by being the first real mallgoth band.

And that's my 2 cents.

--SKot
SKot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #46
Draconysius

Hey, you can get 50 Cent or Eminem when asking for "death metal" if you like, but I happen to LIKE labels.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #47
maggot

SKot, I demand you give me in-depth history! :O :O :O
Insight from people who were there makes me happy ^.^

Ad I agree with Draconysius, labels are really nice. They help you find things you'll like,want, or identify with.

Allow me to elaborate:
What if we didn't label things, so when you asked for "that clear liquid"[wait, we're not labeling,so we can't say it's clear OR a liquid!], instead of recieving H2O, you got pure H2SO4? That'd kill ya, mate.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:28 AM   #48
MotherofMercies

I'll defend that MM, KoRn, and Ev have a considerble about of talent!

Has anyone mentioned Avril Lavgine?
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:46 AM   #49
Isotope

O__O
She's too lame to be mentioned
Isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:36 AM   #50
MotherofMercies

Yeah that's what I thought. Ah well.
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote