Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #251
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Auriel~~
Also scientists have found that they ways that they previously measured the age of the universe is incredibly innaccurate. I haven't recently looked into where they are at with that as of now.
Depends what you mean by incredibly, it's improved a lot in recent years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Auriel~~
Alright well, that's entirely off topic! I do agree with that theory, and to my knowledge scientists have been leaning towards that theory in recent years more than other theories. Unfortunately, there isn't enough proof to make it a science.
Proof of the big bang being created by a higher power? There is nothing to suggest what started it, so there are no theories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
That reinactment of the big bang is idiocy
What? The LHC?
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:08 AM   #252
~~Auriel~~

[quote=Raptor]Depends what you mean by incredibly, it's improved a lot in recent years.

Proof of the big bang being created by a higher power? There is nothing to suggest what started it, so there are no theories.

*Snip*[quote]

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I wrote that shortly after I woke up and hadn't finished my 3rd cigarette, lol. (Yes it takes me 3 to wake up!) So that was groggy writing on my part.

Scientists are leaning more towards the Big Bang Theory. Not that it was created by a higher power as science couldn't prove that. They are still having trouble proving the Big Bang Theory as 100% correct.

My personal belief is that the Big Bang was created by a higher power, nothing to do with science, just my own opinion.

Here's an article about Scientist's view on the Big Bang Theory. There's a little history in there too!
http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstud...Prize_5-8.html
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 AM   #253
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
That reinactment of the big bang is idiocy. They should be developing vaccines for AIDS, instead of playing God. Its fun pretending to be God, but in truth isn't really that neccersary.
Good point. I think it is human desire to know where we came from, if we are alone in the universe, etc. So naturally we should be studying it. But you're right, we should be more worried about the problems we have here.
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #254
Saya

Quote:
That reinactment of the big bang is idiocy. They should be developing vaccines for AIDS, instead of playing God. Its fun pretending to be God, but in truth isn't really that neccersary.
That made me laugh. Because all those physicists really know about biology, eh? All scientists are the same and have the same cancer curing powers, right? What good is it if physicists conduct experiments that relate to physics? They should be doing stuff they have no idea how to do, and things that even biologists can't do!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:23 AM   #255
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
That made me laugh. Because all those physicists really know about biology, eh? All scientists are the same and have the same cancer curing powers, right? What good is it if physicists conduct experiments that relate to physics? They should be doing stuff they have no idea how to do, and things that even biologists can't do!
Finding the secrets of the Earth's conception and being able to link different phenomena, breaking new ground in scientific progression and opening a new plethora of opportunities is not neccersary! We want cures cures cures!!!
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #256
Necrophagist

Yes, most people do want cures.

And now the idiots have found anti-matter. Yay! Another weapon of destruction!
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #257
Saya

Anti-matter is way way way too expensive to produce to be a practical weapon. And you are aware there may be medical and fuel uses for it, right? Stop reading Dan Brown.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #258
Beneath the Shadows

We've been able to produce anti-matter for over a decade, now. But even today, it's so difficult to produce that we can only make a few grams at a time.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #259
Necrophagist

I got that from my chemistry teacher.

Even small amounts of anti - matter can be potent.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #260
Saya

Far cheaper to make nuclear weapons. It costs billions just to make a single gram.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #261
Necrophagist

True, or they just use anthrax.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:04 AM   #262
Drake Dun

Okay, finally getting back to this. Frankly I am dead tired of trying to educate people against their will, so I'm only going to continue this if someone wants to do so in a serious fashion... not just by banging out some quick response that sends me off to do four hours of research, the results of which are completely ignored.

That said, I should at least give a few of examples of how evolutionary theory can be tested, since I explicitly promised to do so. Happily for me, it turns out there is a solid response to this in a section of the Wikipedia article "Objections to Evolution".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objecti..._unfalsifiable

Short version: There are all kinds of discoveries we could logically make which would disprove evolution, but we don't. And there are all kinds of discoveries which we should expect to make, assuming the evolutionary picture is correct - and we do.

In case you don't want to read all that and just want one good example, this is one of my favorites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon_eating_bacteria
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #263
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
That was amazing Drake. Explains how some bacteria ends up eating sulphur in deep ocean geothermal vents or reproduces reliably in nuclear reactor cooling water.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote