Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:28 AM   #26
Cicero

I know I've listened to the Dresden Dolls before, but I can't remember what it sounded like or even what the song was. That's usually a sign that a band just doesn't interest me.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #27
Underwater Ophelia

To everyone saying they're pretentious...under what pretense are they...?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:40 AM   #28
Tea_and_Waxfruit

Whather they are punk or not. I love the dresden dolls. They are my favorite non-J-rocker band. hehehe.

Amanda palmer is an extremely good pianist iI hoep to play like her one day
Tea_and_Waxfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #29
Haunted House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
To everyone saying they're pretentious...under what pretense are they...?
From what I've gathered, they seem to have that "We're so different from everything else and if you think you're original, you're not and if you don't like us then fuck off." kinda thing going. And that one t-shirt that Drewson has that says all that "Fuck the critics, etc" came off as a bit pretentious to me.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #30
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
From what I've gathered, they seem to have that "We're so different from everything else and if you think you're original, you're not and if you don't like us then fuck off." kinda thing going. And that one t-shirt that Drewson has that says all that "Fuck the critics, etc" came off as a bit pretentious to me.
Don't take this as being bitchy, because that's not how it's intended to be. I must defend, though.

First off, that's not even what pretentious means. Pretentious is faking something. Hence my confusion earlier.
Second...you don't even listen to them. We both know that's true.
And really, almost all music is about people having problems and singing about them, so what's the big deal with that? As for the whole "if you don't like us, fuck off" attitude, they aren't like that. At all. They're actually pretty chill. And if they were, GOOD. No artist should care that much if people like them or not, because that's not what art is about.

And pretty sure that shirt Drewson (THAT'S MY NICKNAME, BUDDY!=))has is a joke based on their WWII aesthetic for the second album.

SOOOO. NYAH NYAH.

Last edited by Underwater Ophelia; 06-27-2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: fixing
Old 06-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #31
Haunted House

Quote:
Don't take this as being bitchy, because that's not how it's intended to be. I must defend, though.

First off, that's not even what pretentious means. Pretentious is faking something. Hence my confusion earlier.
Second...you don't even listen to them. We both know that's true.
And really, almost all music is about people having problems and singing about them, so what's the big deal with that? As for the whole "if you don't like us, fuck off" attitude, they aren't like that. At all. They're actually pretty chill. And if they were, GOOD. No artist should care that much if people like them or not, because that's not what art is about.

And pretty sure that shirt Drewson (THAT'S MY NICKNAME, BUDDY!=))has is a joke based on their WWII aesthetic for the second album.

SOOOO. NYAH NYAH.
I'm just saying what I've GATHERED from knowing about them. It's what they portray to ME. I know I havn't listened to them enough (suprising, cause of YOU ya loser! Hahaha) to know them on a personal basis.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #32
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
I'm just saying what I've GATHERED from knowing about them. It's what they portray to ME. I know I havn't listened to them enough (suprising, cause of YOU ya loser! Hahaha) to know them on a personal basis.
Well go gather your nuts and berries, gatherer.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #33
Linen

I love the Dresden Dolls! I got to see Amanda Palmer do a solo performance recently in a small venue (I right up at the stage - about 2 feet away from her), and I got to meet her! She took photos with everyone & gave us all autographs. She was sooo nice & funny, and very talented of course.

To people who say she's whining about her problems... so what? Everyone does it. I'm sure it's theraputic for her, as I know writing poems and songs is for myself and many other people. And who cares if all the things someone sings about are what they really experienced? That's why music is so great. It makes you think, and it makes you WONDER. Some things are better left to the imagination and/or unexplained.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #34
Tea_and_Waxfruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
I love the Dresden Dolls! I got to see Amanda Palmer do a solo performance recently in a small venue (I right up at the stage - about 2 feet away from her), and I got to meet her! She took photos with everyone & gave us all autographs. She was sooo nice & funny, and very talented of course.

To people who say she's whining about her problems... so what? Everyone does it. I'm sure it's theraputic for her, as I know writing poems and songs is for myself and many other people. And who cares if all the things someone sings about are what they really experienced? That's why music is so great. It makes you think, and it makes you WONDER. Some things are better left to the imagination and/or unexplained.
Wow I am very envious!! <3
Old 06-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #35
Circle V

I saw them live, as well. It wasn't the greatest concert (aside from Brian's drumming), but, having watched videos of other live performances, I'm inclined to think that it was a fluke. That, and I had to piss the whole time-- and the crappy opening band didn't help.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #36
BLEED REBELION!!!

* enters fan girl mode

I LOVE AMANDA AND BRIAN SOOOOOOOO MUCH LIKE TO THE PINT WHERE I IDOLIZE THEM.....WHEN I GROW UP I WANNA BE JUST LIKE THEM YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY11111!!!1111111!!!!!

*exits fan girl mode

okay now with that said I wanna see the in concert but tickets cost hella much...wahhhhh....

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #37
Tea_and_Waxfruit

I could have seen them live but I wasn't old enough : ( sucks not being old enough to drink yet. Ah well
Old 06-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #38
IsolatedReptile

I think people are getting too hung up on the Punk Cabaret. It's punk attitude with cabaret style music. It's not punk.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #39
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea_and_Waxfruit
Wow I am very envious!! <3
teehee. Personally I thought Amanda was amazing live...perhaps the people who don't think so weren't close enough to see how into her music she was & how sweaty she was getting from pounding away at the keyboard. She really puts on a show, IMO. And I only paid $10 to see her because it was a last-minute show.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #40
Velvet_Mansfield

Personally, I like that cabaret style they have. They have a very "theatre" aspect to them (if that makes sense), which is kind of interesting.
However, their slower songs tend to bore me a little; it's their more upbeat songs that I like. My favorite songs that I've heard are probably Girl Anachronism or Dirty Business
Velvet_Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #41
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet_Mansfield
Personally, I like that cabaret style they have. They have a very "theatre" aspect to them (if that makes sense), which is kind of interesting.
However, their slower songs tend to bore me a little; it's their more upbeat songs that I like. My favorite songs that I've heard are probably Girl Anachronism or Dirty Business
I'll second that about the slow songs. They're pretty good, just not as awesome as the upbeat ones.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #42
dreamydancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
I saw them live, as well. It wasn't the greatest concert (aside from Brian's drumming), but, having watched videos of other live performances, I'm inclined to think that it was a fluke. That, and I had to piss the whole time-- and the crappy opening band didn't help.
I can't tell you how much I HATE opening acts. They are so worthless and a complete waste of a good few hours. And people, don't tell me how the bands I love started out as opening acts.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #43
St._Exmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamydancer
I can't tell you how much I HATE opening acts. They are so worthless and a complete waste of a good few hours. And people, don't tell me how the bands I love started out as opening acts.
Your post is now the opening act to my headlining post.

**tunes guitar,rocks out**
St._Exmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:05 PM   #44
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Uh...why? It's true.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #45
Lapin

I personally have a strong dislike for the Dolls. She sounds like she needs a cough drop.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #46
Lapin

Or better yet, a cat being stepped on.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #47
dreamydancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by St._Exmin
Your post is now the opening act to my headlining post.

**tunes guitar,rocks out**
Well, thank you. That was mean.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #48
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Well, thank you. That was mean.
I just thought it was funny. Considering they were. Also that you are now.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #49
Underwater Ophelia

I just got back from seeing Amanda Palmer with the Boston Pops.

It was INSANE.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #50
Linen

Quote:
I just got back from seeing Amanda Palmer with the Boston Pops.

It was INSANE.
Wish I could've gone! I read in her blog that she was worried about how that would work out.

I've seen her twice now, and I can't get enough. I'm disappointed that the Dolls aren't coming near me on this tour so far, but perhaps later. Maybe she'll come back to this area for her solo tour as well. I would love to meet her a second time (and Brian too), b/c I'd have a lot more to say to her now then just... "uh... uh... you are an awesome singer!?!" LOL. I get really nervous around famous people, but she was so cool.