Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:28 AM   #101
Anomander

The enormity of your arrogance is amazing. And everyone on this thread was quite nice and polite at first, you're the one that started the agression, so stop trying to make it seem like you're aggreived.

Your entire argument is based on the premise that the human being has arrived in it's final form, that we're at our final destination. So what if there are parts of our bodies that we don't use at present? What if, oh I dunno, tomorrow the entire world gets flooded, and a fraction of humanity manages to survive and continue living as marine beings (Oh thank goodness for the information about gills left in our DNA). Why do you think that everyone must bow to your rules of creation and design?

I'm not a microbiologist, I probably can't argue with you on the specifics of evolution, but I know something about design, and I know you have no business faulting a certain design until you know everything that the design is supposed to take care of. At the moment, you DON'T know this.

Your absolute refusal to even consider another idea makes you appear to me to be an absolute evolutionist, which in my opinion is the same as an absolute creationist.

Let me tell you something about Darwin, who you so eloquently eulogised earlier - His evolution theory was abjectly racist. I wonder whether you share his opinion on that as well.
Anomander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:30 AM   #102
Drake Dun

Man, he gets worse every time. The first time it took him, like, a month to go from "abrasive" to "ravening". The next time it was a week or so. This time he has managed to do it in one day.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #103
honeythorn

I'm pagan. I'm happy with it. End of.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #104
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
Man, he gets worse every time. The first time it took him, like, a month to go from "abrasive" to "ravening". The next time it was a week or so. This time he has managed to do it in one day.

Drake

Now I am confused. Who are we talking about?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #105
Anomander

Kontan, I have an idea, but only the Drake knows for sure.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:14 AM   #106
KontanKarite

Oh man....

It's too early in the day for trolls. Even highly intelligent ones.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #107
Anomander

Ah. now you got me confused...
Old 07-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #108
KontanKarite

Bollocks.

I don't really give a rolling rim job now.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #109
Anomander

<sigh> Can't we all just get along?

Btw - I thought "bollocks" was more of a UK expression?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #110
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomander
<sigh> Can't we all just get along?

Btw - I thought "bollocks" was more of a UK expression?

<Eric Cartman> I do what I want </Eric Cartman>

Sorry, my humor escapes some people.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #111
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

Your entire argument is based on the premise that the human being has arrived in it's final form, that we're at our final destination. So what if there are parts of our bodies that we don't use at present? What if, oh I dunno, tomorrow the entire world gets flooded, and a fraction of humanity manages to survive and continue living as marine beings (Oh thank goodness for the information about gills left in our DNA). Why do you think that everyone must bow to your rules of creation and design?

Let me tell you something about Darwin, who you so eloquently eulogised earlier - His evolution theory was abjectly racist. I wonder whether you share his opinion on that as well.
I'm not with or against onetwothree, I just wanted to clear something up. The junk DNA isn't coding for things we aren't using, it's repeat DNA. That's all it is, that's why it's called junk DNA. If we had the coding for gills, we'd have them now. We wouldn't spontaneously develop gills because we need them. That's not how evolution works.

And why worry about a world-wide flood? Didn't God give us a rainbow for a reason?

Also, Darwin was wrong about a lot of things. He got the big picture, but a lot of his details were proven wrong.

Not only that, but Darwin being a racist has NOTHING to do with this, and you bringing that up is completely unnecessary.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #112
Anomander

You're right, I brought that up just to show Darwin's fallibility, the same way that 123 continually used the "junk DNA" to prove the inconsistency of the design of man.

The rainbow - yeah, God said he wasn't going to destroy the world with water again. I wonder if we could do it ourselved though (there's been a bit of flooding around the UK this year....)
Old 07-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #113
Underwater Ophelia

Ano, are you black? Please don't be upset I'm asking, I have no specific reason to this, other than I'm curious. If you don't want to say, I understand.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #114
Anomander

Yes Ophelia, I am black, or should I say I am of African descent. (It's a pc world nowadays).

Does this by any chance weaken my previous arguments?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #115
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

Does this by any chance weaken my previous arguments?
Jesus Christ. No. You being black doesn't. I'm not that kind of person.

You saying that kind of pisses me off, though.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 AM   #116
Anomander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Jesus Christ. No. You being black doesn't. I'm not that kind of person.

You saying that kind of pisses me off, though.

Noo... you misunderstand me. I was hoping you wouldn't think that was the reason why I was using racism as one of Darwin's beleifs.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #117
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Noo... you misunderstand me. I was hoping you wouldn't think that was the reason why I was using racism as one of Darwin's beleifs.
Oh, I see. Well, black or white, that's still completely irrelevant.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #118
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetwothree
I have a few questions:

1) Why did you pick this faith?

2) How old were you when you made this choice.

3) Did your parents approve of the choice?

4) Do you regret anything about making the choice now?

5) Omit questions 1-4 if you didn't make a choice and you were merely indoctrinated into the religion at birth.

6) Do you think you understand why we are alive now?

7) Do you believe you understand our purpose?

8) Do you understand evolution?

9) Do you believe you are wiser than an atheist when it comes to understanding the universe?

10) Why don't you believe in another deity?
1.) I have actually read up on different religions. And I have listened to my father and I have some of the Bible. What I believe makes sense to me and through my experiences I have felt that God is there and I have felt Him and my angels with me in this moment in my life. Although I know I probably have a lot more to learn about my beliefs, I also understand that I can only gain that knowledge through my life experiences and by trying to understand what I can and by asking questions.

2.) I am 15, and that is when I made this choice.

3.) My father is the one guiding me through my choices and is the one who has really tried to help me understand that they are other religions and no matter what I follow, he will always support me. As for my mother, she doesn't care what I do.

4.) I regret nothing in making this choice.

5.) My parents never baptised my brother nor I so we could have the freedom of choice in what we chose to follow as a religion.

6.) I don't think I do know that. But that's why I read the Bible and try to ask that. I want to understand why we are alive, but I don't truly think I will ever fully understand it.

7.) No, I don't.

8.) Not quite, but that's why I also know I still have a lot to learn.

9.) When it comes to religion, I don't believe that one is wiser that the other in anything because you believe in what you believe in. I believe in freedom of choices and freedom to follow what you think is right.

10.) I feel as though God is with me now. I also feel as though that my angels are with me, and when I pray at night. I feel that God is listening. To me my image of God is what is there.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #119
Lapin

I'm a pagan who believes in the Mother and her various forms throughout the world.

1) Why did you pick this faith?

I sort of fell into it to be honest. My eldest cousin took care of me a lot as a child and she is a devout Wiccan.

2) How old were you when you made this choice?

I must have been about eleven when I realized that I didn't really believe in Christianity. I was seventeen when I confirmed what I really believed.

3) Did your parents approve of the choice?

My stepfather is a rather unobservant man. I doubt he even notices. My mother and I had a long discussion in which we concluded that though we called our gods by different names, we still held almost the same morals.

4) Do you regret anything about making the choice now?

Why would I? It has brought no harm or shame upon me, and even if it did, I feel better following this path.

5) Omit questions 1-4 if you didn't make a choice and you were merely indoctrinated into the religion at birth.

6) Do you think you understand why we are alive now?

No. I'm human. I don't understand everything. I just choose to accept that we are here and we should make the most of it.

7) Do you believe you understand our purpose?

I doubt we even have one.

8) Do you understand evolution?

I recieved top marks in all my science classes, and I've read Darwin.

9) Do you believe you are wiser than an atheist when it comes to understanding the universe?

No. I don't think I'm wiser than anybody. I think atheists understand as much as any of us do.

10) Why don't you believe in another deity?

This one feels right for me, as I'm sure Allah, Yahweh, God, and Thor feel right to others.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #120
Godslayer Jillian

Onetwothree, I'm behind you in most things, but not all (all things that are logically possible are possible. That they are improbable is a whole new deal).
But there has begun a whole new argument only about evolution, so I'm going to open a thread on that, because this thread is about personal beliefs and requires tolerance (but not necessarily acceptance) to a certain extent.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #121
biohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
I'm going to tear off my ears and use them to cover my eyes out if anyone ever says that again.

I cannot understand how someone can claim "I don't believe that because it shouldn't be true." Something is either true or it isn't, and belief will do nothing change that. Just because religion is a 'personal matter' doesn't give believers permission to make stuff up and pretend it's true. At least fundamentalists are drawing their beliefs and morals from their religion, not fucking around with their religion to suit themselves.

If your beliefs aren't strong enough to stand up to attack I don't think I have much reason to respect them.
Do as you wish, I could care less if you respect them or not. I was born with them.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #122
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard
Do as you wish, I could care less if you respect them or not. I was born with them.
How were you born with beliefs?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #123
Onetwothree

I have tolerance for something that makes sense. I am going to get back to this topic later. I am digging up a few articles to explain how Junk DNA <> Redundant DNA, and how Junk DNA stores a lot of previous evolutionary DNA, and perhaps some undiscovered functions.

Also, a few things about what design means, and what a piece of crap is. A design is built with foresight, and evolution shows us there was absolutely no foresight at all in the process. I am tired of people telling me that humans were designed, when all evidence points to a lack of design. If we were designed, we were designed very poorly. We have weak leg joints, child-birth is near impossible, we gag, and choke easily, etc.

Evolution did the best it could, but we humans can do better. It doesn't make us better than anything on earth, but it sure proves that God didn't design it.
Onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #124
Onetwothree

Quote:
Don't you mean his cousin who wrote the book, "Eugeniks?" Because if I recall, he was the one who was overtly racist. I never recall hearing that Darwin was, but I could be wrong. Source please.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #125
Onetwothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I'm not with or against onetwothree, I just wanted to clear something up. The junk DNA isn't coding for things we aren't using, it's repeat DNA. That's all it is, that's why it's called junk DNA. If we had the coding for gills, we'd have them now. We wouldn't spontaneously develop gills because we need them. That's not how evolution works.

And why worry about a world-wide flood? Didn't God give us a rainbow for a reason?

Also, Darwin was wrong about a lot of things. He got the big picture, but a lot of his details were proven wrong.

Not only that, but Darwin being a racist has NOTHING to do with this, and you bringing that up is completely unnecessary.
*sighs* there is no evidence on earth for a 'biblical' flood. The atmosphere would fly off into space, there would be no oxygen, all plant life would die, etc. There is no possible way there was a biblical flood, and you're insane for suggesting it. Also, it's equally impossible to put every species of animal on the planet onto a boat, and not have them kill each other, or be able to have enough food to feed them, etc.

And if he is God, why didn't he just poof everyone away and start from scratch? Well, if you did you research you'd know that all the surrounding religions had their own flood story, and one was done much earlier, and it's exactly the same. It's called the Epic of Gilgamesh. Start doing some research before you open your mouth. kthx.