Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

Need help on a research paper

For my political science final, we have the chance of doing a paper on any topic we want in any of four countries we are studying. I chose France.
You must have heard about the protests this year in France against Sarkozy. Coupled with the fact that I am reading about the event in May '68, I came with a topic that my professor liked: the spontaneity of rebellion in France.

Just think of it:

The storming of the Bastille - There was widespread discontent, but the storming of the Bastille which became the symbol of the beginning of the revolution was entirely improvised.
The paris commune of 1871 - Sieged by Prussia and abandoned by their leaders, the people of Paris took hold of the means of distribution and offices of administration and for two months created the first modern proletarian government of the world.
May '68 - What began as a student protest grew into a General Strike with the support of almost two thirds of the French workforce. They desired a genuine revolution; none of it planned, it merely developed as time went by according to the needs each one saw needed to be met.

I'm focusing on those three for historical background, and in contemporary times I'm planning to contrast the protests against Sarkozy to the planned strikes that the French workers have grown used to participating.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much literature about this aspect of France. So I need as much help as possible into getting reliable information and sources that analyze the history of France, particularly those three events, with spontaneity as one of its main factors.

So far I only have some interviews and writings about May '68, because in that movement the leaders did actively promote spontaneity in the actions of the people, while in the Bastille and the Commune, it just incidentally happened that way.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

I also found this book called Origins of a Spontaneous Reovlution, but it seems it's about Germany in the 90's.
It might offer some good points that are not specific to just Germany, though.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Drake Dun

Sounds like a cool project, but I don't really have any leads for you. All I can say is that Google and the library are your friends.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
Fae-wolf

Hey if you don't talking to me through email, msn messenger, aim, or yahoo messenger, I would be delited to help.

I don't know if you access to proquest or not. If you dont, it's a really great source to use. But, your college has to be registered for it.

That's why I would need an email so I can access the program and send you an email of the articles
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Saya

Great idea, I did read before that the French seem to be far less apathetic than the average Canadian (and I guess American) and are more likely to protest, I think it was Sicko where I heard someone say "the French government is too afraid to do anything really out of line because they know people will take to the streets".

I'll look for where I read about it before, in the meantime, you can include how they even go so far to annoy Sarkozy by buying and reading the book he hates the most:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rite-book.html

I thought it was pretty funny, and pretty amazing that they'll go out of their way to read a book specifically because they know he hates it, as long as its not Twilight I'll go find out what Harper's least favorite book is.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Mealla

Don't know anything off the top of my head, but if you're having trouble finding things, I would suggest libraries, trying to track down firsthand accounts of the more recent events if you can get in touch with individuals who lived through it, and more reputable search engines. I would not recommend google itself, but Google Scholar (scholar.google.com) is pretty good and is supposed to return only academic results. You could also use any more reputable search engines available to your school, of course.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Apathy's_Child

The only thing I can think of which might help you is The Frenhc Revolution and the Psychology of Revolution by Gustav le Bon. No idea if you've already encountered it, but if not you might find it useful.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Fae-wolf

hey, how's your paper coming along?
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

Writing it right at this moment. Not a lot of material seems to talk about France from this perspective so most of the sources I've got are articles of what happened in these actions, but I believe I can make a good synthesis out of it.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Despanan

Shit. My class I wrote a website all about this back in highschool. It's no longer hosted though I'm sad to say...I'll have a look for the book we based most of our research on, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope it's been ten years since i last looked at it and I've moved quite a few times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #11
Still Jack

If you're at all interested, I can PM you a copy of a history paper I wrote where I compared the Irish to the French in terms of taking revolutionary action.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Corpsey

Jstor FTW.

They usually have all the literature references you can imagine. Just saved my ass on finding genuine literature on the Doi Moi.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote