Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
beauismyhorse

School project, Fairy tale? I think.

I have to write a fairy tale, or make a parody of one. I'm thinking of doing a parody of Sleeping Beauty, with gay princes instead of having a princess. Do you think the teacher will find this acceptable for school? Does this sound way, way too offensive/ potential F/ or worse?

*I'm not going to have them act like queens, they'll just be regular fairy tale-ish guys. I'd also like to add that I'm bisexual, just so no one thinks I'm homophobic.*
beauismyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
Tin_Lizzie

Without knowing your teacher or the attitude of the school towards creative thinking, I see no logical way to advise you on your potential grade for a fairy-tale parody.

My advice as a writer? Write what interests you, what obsesses you, whatever idea you want to explore. It's very difficult to put a new spin on fairy tales, so if you think you've got one just go for it. And post it here, I want to read it too.
Tin_Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
beauismyhorse

I decided not to go through with that. My mother told me that the school wouldn't like it, and because she is a substitute there, I took her advice. I ended up writing my own.
beauismyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
JCC

Why is having gay princes funny?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Toy Killer

Parodys are well known for the humor, but they don't have to be.
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Killer
Parodys are well known for the humor, but they don't have to be.
No, parodies are designed to be humorous. I suppose they don't 'have' to be funny, but parodies that don't make people laugh are shitty parodies.

I had a stupid assignment like this once. I adapted the Three Little Pigs, and because my reimagining of a gruesome and bloody story was gruesome and bloody, I was forced to talk to the guidance counselor.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Toy Killer

No, parodies are commonly humerous, many sources will define a parody as being funny versions of original work, but really, a parody is just a re-imagining of previous work. parodies usually share similar names and have some key principles switched. some times, this is for humor, other times, it's to add a specific spin to the moral of the story.

Romeo and Juilet was a parody, for example, of an Arthur Brook play. This is just an early example of defining the line between parody and plagiarism.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Toy Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I had a stupid assignment like this once. I adapted the Three Little Pigs, and because my reimagining of a gruesome and bloody story was gruesome and bloody, I was forced to talk to the guidance counselor.
Actually, I had an Ex-girlfriend with this exact same experience...
Old 06-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
Barfing_Rat

Gee school have really went down hill hard! When I was in school, I often write some of the sickest story to point where the teacher would read it first before I turn it in. If it is too extreme, he/she simply tell me to tone it down a bit.

Once I wrote a christmas poem about a boy who went ski got eaten as a christmas dinner by group of bears. The teacher didnt even blinks at all.

I should have been wearing a straitjacket and thrown in padded room ever since middle school if the teachers were as thin skinned as they are now.

No wonder people aren't creative any more. The school keep tell students what they can or can't do, fight over stupid thing like religion, hide away some of truly gruesome subject, give fiction version of history, etc... And cut budgets away from arts while throwing bottomless pit of moneys at sport. This make me want to throw up.

I'm so grateful I'm in college now. I LOVE college and will attend at least one class a semester my whole life!
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Killer
No, parodies are commonly humerous, many sources will define a parody as being funny versions of original work, but really, a parody is just a re-imagining of previous work. parodies usually share similar names and have some key principles switched. some times, this is for humor, other times, it's to add a specific spin to the moral of the story.

Romeo and Juilet was a parody, for example, of an Arthur Brook play. This is just an early example of defining the line between parody and plagiarism.
Look up 'parody'.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
I Am Great.

Don't bother, dude. It's hopeless.
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
TheBloodEternity

Well apparently I'm lucky, I've had the same English teacher for the past two years and he doesn't care at all about the subject matter as long as it's well written.
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote