Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Zenit

Advice on apathy?

I've been kinda down lately, and my energy levels are at an all time low. I go to work, I go home, and I either sleep or stare at the tellie untill I fall asleep. It's not really how I usually act, and I hate it!

I've tried leaving the house for short walks, but I'm panting after half a block.I can't hang out with my friends, because I get angry or sad for no particular reason and bring them all down by just being there... I don't even know how I make it to work in the mornings...

Any advice? Seriously, I need to get my energy up. I've tried eating like a mad cow, I've tried lying in the sun, I've tried talking the whole thing over with my friends. Am I sick, or is this something I can fix without meds? I hate pills!

"Nutrizone can kiss my pale, decayed ass"
-Draconysius
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
TopHaggardDoll

You can fix it without meds.

Try seeing your friends in a less public setting...get them to come over for tea. I went through a phase where I hated going down the pub with my mates because i'd clam up and not talk to anyone, so I would invite people over and all that. It's better to see them than not, I find.

I get like that sometimes, it passes...don't let it overcome you, fight it, the more you let it become routine the more it'll get to you.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
Minyaliel

I've been through that too - my solution was trying to express it through art and music; anything creative that I could make myself do. It was also during this time that I started doing yoga, which I found worked wonders on my mood. That was my way of doing it, though - I couldn't say whether it'll work for you. :/
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Apathy's_Child

Sounds like you're down as hell and sick of everybody's shit. Have some time alone, and I would definitely take Minyaliel's advice on expressing yourself through art. Write, draw, paint, write a song, whatever floats your boat. It's fun, it takes your mind off of feeling low and it's a release. I know I say this every time someone wants advice on anything at all, but getting a little drunk (not puking-crying drunk, just tight enough to really enjoy music) and writing my ass off recharges the batteries like nothing else. There's a reason they use art as therapy in institutions.

Don't force yourself to be around people if you don't feel like it. Bringing everyone down will just make you feel worse.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenit
I've been kinda down lately, and my energy levels are at an all time low. I go to work, I go home, and I either sleep or stare at the tellie untill I fall asleep. It's not really how I usually act, and I hate it!

I've tried leaving the house for short walks, but I'm panting after half a block.I can't hang out with my friends, because I get angry or sad for no particular reason and bring them all down by just being there... I don't even know how I make it to work in the mornings...

Any advice? Seriously, I need to get my energy up. I've tried eating like a mad cow, I've tried lying in the sun, I've tried talking the whole thing over with my friends. Am I sick, or is this something I can fix without meds? I hate pills!
Sign up for either yoga or belly dance. And get addicted to either sushi or pita bread and hummus.
Yoga and bellydance will provide a community of fun people and something to do that will give you exercise (endorphins) and relax your muscles. Both wilh help with that "panting" problem.
Eating healthier (try and lay off the booze if that's a problem) will also help to energize your body and make you feel happier overall.
Hopefully some of my rambling advice works, good luck!
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Barfing_Rat

Try eat about three TBSP of pure honey and see if it give you a bit boost of energy. If it work then you will be able to go out and do something without getting tired so fast.

Stay away from any type of sugar. It will give you quick boost of energy then you'll be exhausted. Honey don't have that downside.

Also try to start jogging some, gradually increasing time of running every couple weeks. That help a lot of people.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
MollyMac

just stop worrying about it so much. just stop caring and the apathy will go away.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Graveyard.Crow

I have advice but it requires pills. Though not bad kind. I have the same issue and I take green tea extract pills, they have natural caffeine that really lasts evenly without making you uber hyper, but just the right amount of energetic. Try it. Also green tea is good for you and has antioxidants in it.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
Zenit

Thank you so much for all the advice I'm kind off stuck in the middle of nowhere, so the bellydancing and yoga classes are a bit difficult, but maybe I can get some books?

I'm trying to break the pattern, finding something to do, but this place I'm stuck in for the summer is dead as dust...Slap middle in the bible belt...I miss Bergen

But thanks again, I'll follow your advice, anything is better than crying all day.

"Nutrizone can kiss my pale, decayed ass"
-Draconysius
Zenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #10
bleedingheart344

You should get a banzai tree, seriously.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
raggedyanne

Actually, I agree. A little bit of green to tend to and call your own. Gives people a sense of purpose. Plus, a well taken care of bonsai can live hundreds of years!
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
bleedingheart344

Oh, apologies for my horrid spelling today.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
Minyaliel

As for yoga books, let me recommend the "Basic yoga for dummies" dvd. It's great, and a wonderful introduction to the subject. There's also another dvd available that's a bit more advanced when you feel ready for it. They were my introduction to yoga too, and I found them helpful and fun to watch.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 06-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
MollyMac

No, "Moving into Stillness" by Erich Schiffman is the best 101 for Yoga, and Seane Corn is a solid DVD. Vinyasa is solid for the mood
Old 06-17-2008, 01:59 AM   #15
Minyaliel

Hm, never heard about those. I guess they aren't readily available where I live.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 06-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #16
Solumina

Thai Chi may be a little easier if you are just going to be doing it at home and may be a bit easier than yoga if you are in less than good shape (There is a dve called Sunrise Tai Chi that is quite good and has beginner, intermediate, and advanced instruction so you can continue to use the same dvd as you progress). I would also recommend St. Johns Wart as it is an all natural mood booster, you can get it in pill form but I have also seen it as a liquid extract that you can add to the beverage of your choice.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:24 AM   #17
Jonathan

Getting involved in a martial art did wonders for my outlook on life. Physical activity in its own right can be a boost. Another side benefit is to be able to look back every few weeks or so and see a progression.

How long have you been at your job? Maybe its time for a change there.

Try to learn something new. Buy a new book, get some language cd's. Do something, but make it yours.

Good luck.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #18
cradle

Be a different person for a few days.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote