Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
TwistedKitsune

Woman Nabbed Driving Corpse...

BERLIN (Reuters) - A 53-year-old German woman who was driving her dead mother across country to save on mortuary transportation costs was fined by police for disturbing a dead person's peace.

"You're not allowed to transport dead people in your private car," said Ralf Schomisch, police spokesman in Koblenz, where the car was found after a tip-off from a mortuary.

"The corpse was on the back seat without a seat belt, which in this case didn't really matter. But it was covered up with clothing. It is a misdemeanor."

He said the woman, who was not identified, was charged with violating burial laws and disturbing a dead person's peace. She would face a modest fine, Schomisch said.

The woman had already driven 450 km (280 miles) after picking up the body from a mortuary in the northern city of Bremerhaven. She wanted to bury her mother, who died of natural causes aged 90, in her hometown Daun.

found here
____

I'd really like to know how transporting the body on your own would be a problem? And who knows, maybe the dead old lady was very at peace being driven around by her daughter!

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Sobeh

Well, it was Germany. If she was being driven around some boring parts, maybe that was painful enough. Maybe the daughter was playing ABBA the whole way, which while fine for a few hundred kilometers... I mean come on, everyone has their limit!

---

In all honesty, it is too bad that the ability to handle the death transition privately has been taken away. Most people were happy to have authorities do the work back in the day I'd imagine, but now there ought to be a way to make a clause of a Will allow family members access and jurisdiction over the corpus sans spiritus.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
roserougesang

That's something you don't read about everyday....
It's quite sad though, yet rather ridiculous. If you really love someone, you'd pay for their transportation and not find strange ways of trying to save on the transportation costs.
She probably had her reasons though..
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:10 AM   #4
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedKitsune
BERLIN (Reuters) - A 53-year-old German woman who was driving her dead mother across country to save on mortuary transportation costs was fined by police for disturbing a dead person's peace.

"You're not allowed to transport dead people in your private car," said Ralf Schomisch...
That is a very interesting law. I wonder if it applies in my country too?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
bjork_freak

It's a law in Germany to not disturb dead people's peace?
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
TwistedKitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeh
Well, it was Germany. If she was being driven around some boring parts, maybe that was painful enough. Maybe the daughter was playing ABBA the whole way, which while fine for a few hundred kilometers... I mean come on, everyone has their limit!
*cracks up*

On another note though, wouldn't it be rather uncomforatable to tote your dead mother's corpse about in the back seat of your car?

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
A Simple Poet

Of course she could have been undead, and I wonder what the laws say about that?

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:05 AM   #8
DarkIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeh
Well, it was Germany.
So are we offending Germany here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjork_freak
Whatīs so wrong about that law? Would you like to be driven through *insert your country* after your parachute didnīt open as it should have?! Just think about what kids would think if they saw a corpse in the car next to them waiting for the stoplights to turn green. Thereīs a reason why ambulances have frosted glass windows... And normally morticians put corpses into nice little caskets to transport them, unless itīs a cremation...
Old 04-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #9
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIce
Whatīs so wrong about that law? Would you like to be driven through *insert your country* after your parachute didnīt open as it should have?! Just think about what kids would think if they saw a corpse in the car next to them waiting for the stoplights to turn green. Thereīs a reason why ambulances have frosted glass windows... And normally morticians put corpses into nice little caskets to transport them, unless itīs a cremation...
I have no problem with this law, but If I'm dead I won't care about anything, I reckon...
And I hope the kids would be fascinated by a corpse. If not, the idea of giving little brats the heebie-jeebies and nightmares for weeks quite tickles me.

But that's only because I'm a weak and immoral person.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
Sobeh

Quote:
So are we offending Germany here?
'We' aren't doing anything. I wasn't offending Germany, because Germany can't be offended - it's a damned nation. Maybe 'you' were offended by the comment? If yes, fucking say so. Say, "What you said offended me." Don't piss around with this 'we' stuff.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:57 AM   #11
Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjork_freak
Yes, that law does exist here - no lugging around your dead loved ones unless you are a properly licensed undertaker using a properly licensed hearse However, you can obtain special permission from the local authorities.

Honestly though, I do see the need for that kind of law, because many people probably don't have a clue how to transport a corpse (keeping it cool, for example, or what to do if there is danger of contamination).

The same law mentioned above can however be applied, too, if you decide to hold a little graveyard party - so you better be very mindful of others sensitivities when you visit a cemetary - especially at night. Rather 'the stillness of the night' and definitely not 'Happy Day of the Dead'. Otherwise you might get arrested. But I digress...

The woman in the news article did not have the money for the transport, or did not want to pay so much. (We're talking several hundreds of Euros here). She was obviously unaware that she could obtain a special permission or financial aid from the public welfare office. Until recently, the costs for such a transport were covered by the national health insurance, but with recent budget cuts, this money is no longer paid. Burials can be very very expensive
Nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:08 AM   #12
DarkIce

Itīs always exhilarating to read your comments Sobeh. Reading them makes me feel youīre going to have a cerebral apoplexy soon. You take this stuff too seriously. Maybe anger management might help you *grin*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xng
Hmm, are you upset that people are stereotyping your country? Gee, I wonder how that feels.
Actually, Xng, I donīt care if anyone insults Germany (itīs not my country). But obviously you are refering to an exchange of postings in another thread (could it be?). And as you do - so did I. And thatīs been the point, why I wrote the sentence. Just to let Sobeh know, that now he was the one who insulted a nation.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #13
Sobeh

Quote:
Itīs always exhilarating to read your comments Sobeh.
Here's the deal: I don't like you. You sound a lot like a troll at times, and at others quite arrogant. These recent two post of yours are a great example of that.

et finis
Old 04-28-2006, 05:44 AM   #14
DarkIce

This is officially to decline "the deal". Iīm not signing it! Despite the fact that I donīt always find your statements adequate or correct - somehow - I still like you. At least you try to be nice to others. Thatīs charming.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:29 AM   #15
bjork_freak

Quote:
I didn't say it was a law. Usually when a sentence ends with a question mark, it's because the person who wrote it is asking a fucking question. Please don't act like I'm feebleminded just because I didn't know it was a law.
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote