Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #51
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigeybobert
I think it looks a bit stupid. I mean, seriously... Johnny Depp singing? What a joke!
Well, as they say, don't judge a movie by it's commercials.

It was very very good, but I would now like to see it onstage. [Despite the critics here, I just don't think -anything- can compare to live theater!]
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #52
Linen

Loved it.

I was wondering (before the movie was released) why nobody had started a thread on it yet.

Johnny Depp is teh hotness <3 , and even moreso in this movie. Oh, the hair! *drool* The costumes were amazing. I adored his striped bathing suit, and his facial expressions during that scene were priceless.

Of course Tim Burton is amazing as well. I am a big geek for musical theatre, as well as for horror movies, so this was the perfect combination for me. I've never seen Sweeney Todd on stage, though. Now I'll have to see it for comparison. The end was rather sad, though.

I'm thinking of dressing as Mrs. Lovett for Halloween next year. Now if only I can convince my husband to dress as Sweeney Todd. He probably won't, though. Actually a friend of mine and her husband would make the perfect Mrs. Lovett and Sweeney Todd for Halloween (their hair and their bodies). I should tell them that.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #53
How Low Can You Go Moe

They stole that story from my great grandfather. He knew the guy what did it all. They never'd sing, though.
How Low Can You Go Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #54
leviathanbleedingblack

this movie fucking sucked...i even like some musicals but this was just awful. depp is a great actor and the fight club chick is not bad but this movie was terrible. they sang parts of dialogue that didnt need to be sang and the ending was beyond predictable. a blind infant could have seen the end coming. not to mention the straight razor obbsevie songs by depp. i know he was into his role but a whole song about how much you like a chunk of metal is retarded. both the leads had magnificent voices and sang better than i thought either could but in the end i wanted my throat slit rather than watch this again
leviathanbleedingblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 AM   #55
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathanbleedingblack
this movie fucking sucked...i even like some musicals but this was just awful. depp is a great actor and the fight club chick is not bad but this movie was terrible. they sang parts of dialogue that didnt need to be sang and the ending was beyond predictable. a blind infant could have seen the end coming. not to mention the straight razor obbsevie songs by depp. i know he was into his role but a whole song about how much you like a chunk of metal is retarded. both the leads had magnificent voices and sang better than i thought either could but in the end i wanted my throat slit rather than watch this again
You realize it was a broadway musical before it was a movie, correct?

All musicals are like this. If you don't like musicals, then why did you go see it?
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #56
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
You realize it was a broadway musical before it was a movie, correct?

All musicals are like this. If you don't like musicals, then why did you go see it?
It was a Penny Dreadful London story before it became a broadway as well.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #57
HauntingMist

I watched it the other day and thought it kicked some major ass. It oozed Burton atmosphere, and the singing really enhanced the film thoroughly. Johnny Depp can sing, and I thought Helena Bonham was really fitting for her role. I want to check out the actual musical now.
HauntingMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #58
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I LOVED IT!!!!!

The movie was frickin' awesome. I loved the singing. It added such a great touch. And Helena Bonham Carter was awesome alongside Johnny Depp. It was great.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #59
Gigerpoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntingMist
I watched it the other day and thought it kicked some major ass. It oozed Burton atmosphere, and the singing really enhanced the film thoroughly. Johnny Depp can sing, and I thought Helena Bonham was really fitting for her role. I want to check out the actual musical now.
Yes the movie was absolutely amazing. As for the show, it is spectacular. Just a word of advice; when going to find it, you must find the one with Angela Lansbury. In my opinion that is the best of the stage versions.
Gigerpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #60
Madarame

I just got back from watching it, significantly more bloody than I was expecting. It was great, the atmosphere, the acting, I can't really fault it, thoroughly enjoyable.
Madarame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #61
c130

I saw this last week and, like, it was so awsome I wanna buy the DVD, melt it down, put it in a pie and eat it. I loved it SO much.

What's even more awsome is that a students' musical theatre group at Glasgow uni is doing the original musical at the end of the month, and tickets are really cheap.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #62
JCC

I got bored after about twenty minutes. Insufferably slow.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #63
Clockwork

Wow I'm late to this thread, but I must say, the movie was great. I had high expectations from the start, and was far from disappointed by it. There's just something so refreshing about the tone of this film, as with all of Tim's films, and I was thoroughly emotionally absorbed into the story by the final act.

Of course, major props to Sondheim for the plot, and for the actors for being so vivid, and especially toward the costume and set designers.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #64
HauntingMist

I listened to the broadway version of it yesterday, and that was really good too. Pretty much the same thing, just extended.

I can't wait to grab this dvd... I think it comes out in April.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #65
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
Of course, major props to Sondheim for the plot, and for the actors for being so vivid, and especially toward the costume and set designers.
Dear, it was a Penny Dreadful before Sondheim got his hands on it. All he did was turn it into a musical. xD Not bad of course. I enjoyed before the broadways and the play.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #66
HauntingMist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cogs
Dear, it was a Penny Dreadful before Sondheim got his hands on it. All he did was turn it into a musical. xD Not bad of course. I enjoyed before the broadways and the play.
Yeah I saw the book the other day and was compelled to grab it. Is that the best version in your opinion?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #67
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntingMist
Yeah I saw the book the other day and was compelled to grab it. Is that the best version in your opinion?
Hmmm...the broadway and the stories plot are the same from what I gather. Only one version has singing and the other doesn't.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #68
Altemese

i love all of tim burton movies. but nightmare before chritmas i have to say is my fav. jack skelelington is so sexy. "Bone Daddy"
Altemese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #69
Invisigoth69

Well, I've not seen it yet but DAMN... I sure WANT to.
Invisigoth69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #70
Nytekiss~

Sorry for drudging up an old post. its just that there are Soooo many sweeney todd fans here and i just fynally saw the film the other day. I've always been a big fan of the musical.
First off, i was sooo glad to see that the screenplay kept all the original music. I enjoyed the movie, but i think it was mainly because of the memories it spawned...
I really enjoy Johnny Depps work.. but really, the original broadway production with Len Cariou and Angela Lansbury was sooo much more powerful.. yes,, i think Angela Lansbury was a brilliant Mrs. Lovett.
I love that Tim burton really kept to the original vision of what the story felt lyke from penny dreadful.. but as for a production standpoint.. there was just something about Len and Angela that made it...better. Hard to explain i guess. Johnny supryzed me with the vocals.. he's pretty good.. But Len.. there's no comparison.. no one kan portray pure hatred in a singing voice lyke Len Cariou.
for those of you who have never seen the broadway produktion with the original kast (1979 ) you must see it.. you should be able to fynde it on VHS or DVD.
Nytekiss~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #71
YuriBR

I really liked Sweeney Todd, beautiful ending. Ever since I watched Vincent for the nth time, I've been wanting to complete my Tim Burton DVD collection.
YuriBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #72
Despanan

There are basically two "Sweeney Todd" camps at work, the actors who really liked Johnny Depp's performance, and the singers who felt he was simply too weak vocally to do the character.

Personally he sounded fine to me. I also felt that this was a very good film version, particularly because the story meshed well with Tim Burton's style. My favorite thing about it was hearing the reactions of the non-theatre people in the audience. Since I already knew the story it was a real treat to hear the people around me figure out for the first time just what they were going to do with those corpses.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #73
DarkenedReveries

Does anyone else think that the ending is almost just... completely and utterly perfect? I mean, I was blown away, it was one of the most fitting endings to a story I have ever witnessed. Everytime I watch the film, or the original play with Angela Lansbury, I just get goosebumps. And the music is so beautiful and captivating. Sondheim is a genius.
DarkenedReveries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #74
LiUsAiDh

I prefered it to the stage version <3

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #75
freddy666

wow im late for the post

i loved the movie i have a poster and it reminds me of a window going into the sweeney todd universe.

i usually hate musicals the only exceptions are sweeney todd and phantom of the opera(1989 and modern versions)

the ending was very good these days happy endings piss me off they are the most cliche thing around
freddy666 is offline   Reply With Quote