Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #301
Old Spider

Goths are introspective.
Goths tend to prefer things that offend the dull majority of people.
Goths tend to rebel against the status quo.
Goths have accepted the word 'Goth' as a catagory for their tendancies.

Not all Goths are aesthetically gifted.
Not all Goths are artistic.
Not all Goths are introverts, anti-social, or psychopathic.
Not all Goths are drug users.
...etc...

But a Goth will take the time to think and appreciate what the moral majority calls evil, sinister, dark, beastly, scary, etc. To us those things are a part of life and we make them a part of ourselves.

I am a Goth. Since I was born about a decade before the Goth subculture was created I am also referred to as an 'old-school Goth'. In school I was the introverted punk who liked dark clothing, hung out in the back of the classroom, listenned to heavy metal and depressing music, took walks by myself in the woods at night, and just couldn't stand at attention to that damn flag on the wall. I'm still doing that. I'm still rebelling, still spending gastly amounts of time by myself and my other internal selves, seeking new civilizations and boldly going where no sane man would dare to go.

It's just how I'm wired.
Old Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #302
thetiesonyourcorset

Awesome Potatoes...the garlic ones sound soo tasty,i love garlic!
thetiesonyourcorset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 PM   #303
dreamforthedead

The truth is, if they are goth they will accept you anyway. But as for some col clothing brands, CD's etc, heres a few.
Level 27 is pretty cool, I love it personally. But 2nd hand stores are great places to look for clothes. I dont know how good Hot Topic is as Im in Australia and we dont have any here *sigh* but Id imagine it'd be okay. Ebay is good sometimes aswell. As for CD's. Well. 'Say Hello to Sunshine' by FINCH is really good. 'Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge' by My Chemical Romance is awesome. The Murderdolls are grea. Slipknot, NIN, Bauhaus, Killswitch Engage are an okay band. From First to Last, Funeral for a Friend, Story of the Year, System of a Down, anything by David Bowie.... I could go on and on...
lets me live my life like this..."
'Honey, this mirror isn't big enough for the two of us'
dreamforthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #304
juggalette_freakshow

wow ummm i donno
juggalette_freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #305
anti

Goth to me is hawt chicks.
anti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:04 PM   #306
Manimal

There are very many pretty ladies dressed in dark colors - I think we have many of the best samples as members here
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:55 AM   #307
Tanzanari

As silly as it sounds, I don't think this thread is entirely pointless. It IS interesting that, while the view of goths in SouthPark is a humorous stereotype, they found the most accurate stereotype. Before I am crucified, I am NOT saying that the stereotype is true, or any stereotype is true (can I just have fine print at the bottom of all my posts??) They could portray the "goths" as nu-metal kids thrashing around to Slipknot. But they didn't. The goths they have on Southpark tend to have giant 80s hair (think Robert Smith) listen to sad music, hiding in their bedroom, smoking. I think it's funny that they got so close to the truth.
Tanzanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:10 PM   #308
dreamforthedead

Don't know about what?? I'm confused.. but then again I'm always confused- and hungry
Old 12-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #309
Demonista_Ravenesque

What part of Australia are you from?

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #310
angleangel_doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfang
where is for newbies? Do goths have to spell good? I would think that bad spelling could maake you more mysterious.
BWAAHAHAHAHAHA...*snort*...HAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahsnarf wha?
MORE WHAT!?
WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGHFDSADS C SDAXWC~~!!! (OOOoooo...that was MyStErIoUs!!!)
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:07 PM   #311
xXambivalenceXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
Shh. Don't encourage it.
That made me laugh. Thank you. Now, you wanna know how to be goth? Well... in your case, I know the perfect way. Go to the local Hot Topic, buy the baggiest, most studded pair of pants there, along with a nice MCR or Linkin Park t. Any one will do. Buy arm warmers, black eyeliner, and black hair dye. The lipstick should work, also. Don't forget the cheaply made over priced boots, either! Go home, dye your hair, apply the make up, and put on all the clothes.

Ta-Da! Insta-Goth! Just Add One Gullible Dumbass!

Now, to my next topic. What's sad about this, is this guy is older than I am, but so much... dumber. He's as intelligent and mature now as I was when I was 11. By the time I was 13, I was on forums complaining about poor grammar, spelling, and computer leet. Bad spelling doesn't make you mysterious, it makes you stupid.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:19 AM   #312
xXambivalenceXx

I'm just going to say this. Nothing on south park is represented fairly. For the love of all that is real, Kenny died like 700 times. The chef sang about chocolate salty balls, and the handicapped kids joins the Crips. Nothing. Is. Represented. Fairly. OR Realistically. It's a cartoon.

EDIT: Ever post a reply quick so you don't forget, only to read the thread and see that your reply was so painfully off topic and redundant that you feel like a dumbass? I sure do it all the time.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 AM   #313
Demonista_Ravenesque

A quote from the Simpsons:

"Cartoons don't have to make sense" Then Homer clone walks past the window....

Excuse me while I go laugh my head off.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #314
xXambivalenceXx

Hahahaha, I like that... Ahh... The Simpsons, thats some good ole family fun right there.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:20 AM   #315
Sanctus Dei

I've proven myself many a time to be horrible at spelling.. Ofcourse it is much less a stupidity thing as a I don't give a flying fuck thing. I will take the time to pay attention when it actually matters, but I'm far too stressed and busy a person to worry about an opinion of me based on my spelling (or lack there of). That being said, I get upset when I hear word mispronounced even in the slightest. Hmm.. Now that I've discovered I am both an idiot and a hypocrite...wow this IS a good night.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #316
Jane13

Most people here would probably agree that you don't make the change to "goth", you just might change a more mainstream lifestyle/look to a gothic one. To me being goth is being myself and goth as a word is a good blanket term to find good music.... Bauhaus up next for me ^.^
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #317
Sanctus Dei

*identifies w/ spider*
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:27 AM   #318
dreamforthedead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonista_Ravenesque
What part of Australia are you from?
S.A at the moment, but on saturday moving down to tasmania to be "free" as my Mum calls it- all at the ripe old age of 16.. WOO! INDEPENDANCE!! Or as the ants on 'The Simpsons' say "Freedom! Horrble horrible freedom"
Old 12-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #319
Nigredo

I think I would read a booK than watCh South Park.
Nigredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:58 PM   #320
Shadowed Aegis

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
What I've never understood is why stupid n00bs come on here, and we tell them they're fucktards and they continue coming on! Don't get it. Never have.
Why not try an altogether different tactic? Like following them around giving them big hugs, or responding to them with "Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!" Ya never know, might work.
Shadowed Aegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:43 PM   #321
Manimal

mmmmmm... caaaaaandy
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:22 AM   #322
materialfehler

to "become" goth???!

hi, nightfang.

nobody can say, hey, i want to be a goth. gothic is not mainly about wearing black clothes, or listening to sinister music. it is mainly a kind of thinking, the rest follows.
you seem only to have heard about the subculture through the media, and everyone knows that the media's decriptions of gothic are often false.

i once was punk when i was 15, because i wanted to rebel against my parents and my teachers. to that, i didn't really know much about punks, so i was a poser. i never really was a punk by heart. i dressed very authentically, but in my heart i have always been gothic. i only was impressed by punks, by their attitude and i liked the music. that was all. (so i think, i'm right about you being impressed by goths and now want to "become" a gothic)
i have listened to stuff like the sisters of mercy and the cure long before I was punk or knew that this kind of music is considered as gothic. When I was 16 and didn’t want to rebel anymore, i wore more and more black, and turned into a goth without really recognising it. no, in fact, i turned my insides out.
because i was myself. i wasn't a punk anymore, because i only was impressed by their lifestyle, but wasn't one in my soul.
i am still myself, and i dress myself in black velvet dresses because i feel like that. and not because i want to be goth. i simply am.

and this is what i miss in your explanations why you "want to be a goth". maybe i'm wrong, but you only seem to be impressed by the gothic clothing (by the way, manson is not gothic, evanescene, green day and nofx aren't gothic too).
you have to wear black clothes because you feel comfortable with them, not because you want to "disguise" yourself as a goth.
you have to stay yourself! you have to find out if you are only interested in gothic, or if you feel well as goth.
the gothic subculture is very multifarious, there is no "true" goth existing. but one thing is clear: gothic is about individuality.
BE YOURSELF!
if you want to dress in black, if you feel comfortable in black clothes, then wear them!
if you like gothic music, listen to it!
if you like gothic literature, read it!
…but if not, don't.

i will now list some bands you can easily find on soulseek (it's a bit illegal, please buy the albums, if you like a band!), maybe you like it, maybe you don't.
you know, they sound completely different to all the stuff you consider as gothic...

good gothic rock: the sisters of mercy, christian death, nosferatu, rosetta stone
some good batcave: the cure, siouxsie and the banshees, bauhaus, joy division
some gothic metal: theatre of tragedy, the sins of thy beloved, tristania
some dark ambient: dargaard (an austrian band *g*), dark sanctuary (french), arcana
some electronic stuff: clan of xymox, blutengel (a german band), suicide commando, l'âme immortelle
some other bands: die verbannten kinder eva's, weltenbrand, subway to sally, goethes erben

well, i don't know what gothic bands you americans listen to, but these bands are quite popular in germany and austria.

i hope i could help you

materialfehler

PS: you can find many pages in the internet that inform you about the subculture.
But please promise me, that you think over your intentions and decide for yourself if you feel in your heart that you are gothic. and then dress like that because you feel like that.
Otherwise, what about growing up??!
materialfehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:42 AM   #323
horrorgirl

This thread smells of troll. *nods head*

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:58 AM   #324
AlKilyu

MAY! Your avatar is May! That movie is a must see for any goth... ^_^
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #325
Ben Lahnger

I was gonna ask this in Random, but this dead thread actually seems more appropriate.

What comes after "Perky Goth?"

'Cause I've never been called perky in my whole life ... and somehow the minimal laugh of having it happen here doesn't override the strangeness of it.

Can't I just stay mopey forever? (hmm ... can't realistically say I could resist posting, so I guess it's inevitable ... but damn ... PERKY?!?)

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote