Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Crying_Crimson_Tears

An Inconvenient Truth

Has anyone seen this movie??? If so what are your ideas about it???

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Vyvian Blackthorne

Good on some halfs, but bad on some. I saw it. Kind of gimmick-y, I'm too sure I'm afraid of global warming, though.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
ArtificialOne

I've seen clips.... I'm more worried of natural climate change.. historically speaking we are still in one of the nicest times in the globes history.. None of these scientists ever talk about natural change and how we are powerless about it... It's just the typical jump on the bandwagon, make it a religion and it will dissapear thing.Lets look back to the 60's 70's 80's and all the other scares we've had.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Aren't we due for an ice age? O_o

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Binkie

1970s is was all about global cooling.

I sat through Gore's film just to give it its "day in court." While there is no refuting of the rising temperatures, the evidence to support his assertion it's "human-caused" is nill in the film. Therefore it was really taken with a grain of salt.

You know when the New York Times disagrees with him, you may be actually looking at an alarmist.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
ArtificialOne

Yes actually, and I hate ice, I hate the cold...

Lets turn the factories up full blast.. none of this cold business anymore!!!

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 04-17-2007, 02:09 AM   #7
CptSternn

It was a good film. I'm surprised people still try and argue that global warming is not happening, with all the evidence around them. There was an article last week...

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/clim..._N.htm?csp=34#

Which has some more interesting stats on the matter. In fact, many of the problems it outlines are already starting to happen in areas. For example the timber industry is now plagued by various species that before were killed by cold, however their native areas no longer have cold winters. This is causing hundreds of millions in losses to the U.S. timber industry each year now. Two years ago they said it was 'El Nino' (sp?), but now are saying its a permanent change and will directly effect the industry. Same goes for the fishing industry in Alaska - also being effected by species now overtaking fishing grounds due to the raise in temperature. I'm sure over the course of the next 5-10 we will see those get worse, and others appear.

The fact the Supreme Court has now come out last week and admitted that it thinks it is happening is also a big reverse in previous policy and sure to have an effect.

In interviews after they sited this film as part of their studies on the matter.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #8
Binkie

Temperatures rise and fall like that all the time though. Throughout the last 500,000 years or so that's been the trend. In fact the current spike is not as intense as it's been 130,000 years ago or the spikes that came before that.

http://www.koshland-science-museum.o...storical02.gif
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I liked the film. I thought he had some very good points and I thought he presented his information well. Personally I am a bit afraid of global warming. I'm looking at the weather now and it is so crazy. Things like this nor'easter aren't supposed to happen in April. The weather changes and it's ties to global warming are scary to me. My father told me though that it won't be me who has to worry about global warming so much, it will be my grand kids who will have to worry about it.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
Saphyra Runa

Just for a change how about reading: Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1500 Years.

I am all for us becoming better caretakers of this big blue marble we live on. I do what I can to recycle, reduce, etc... Changes should be made to stop the r*ping, pillaging and polluting of our Earth, but not on the use of scare tactics on the masses so a few can make a hideously enormous amount of money.

I sometimes watch with my boyfriend the pieces put out on the Discovery channels about how the Earth will be eons in the future. They give me the willies. The Earth evolved before us, continues to evolve despite us and will continue to evolve after us.

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #11
Drake Dun

There is a global scientific consensus on this issue, including in the United States: global warming is real, and humans are the primary cause. That's a rather big thing to just ignore.

Al Gore's additional commentary is unnecessary.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #12
ArtificialOne

Wasn't there also a concensus on the world being flat at one time and the universe revovling around the earth?

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 04-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
Wasn't there also a concensus on the world being flat at one time and the universe revovling around the earth?
You mean it isnt?
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #14
ArtificialOne

Dude! Get a new text book!!!

lol

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 04-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #15
dark_dragon_of_ice

But all the new books are edited by aliens trying to get us away from the truth!!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #16
DarkGentleman

Interesting movie. some parts kinda scare the hell out of me knowing that we may be causing the global warming and such. Glad I don't own a car anymore.

Will that mean that we should start living "green"?

"YAY!!!! WE'RE DOOMED!!!" - quoted from GIR
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:57 AM   #17
Saphyra Runa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
There is a global scientific consensus on this issue, including in the United States: global warming is real, and humans are the primary cause. That's a rather big thing to just ignore.
I'm not ignoring it. But I also look at what other, just as well respected scientists have to say about it. I just can't seem to help myself from looking at something from all sides.

I'm not overly fond of the word consensus. Just because a bunch of people decided something to be true, doesn't necessarily make it true. You can force someone to say it is true by either giving or taking away something important to them.

Oh I see that was kind of covered while I was at work. The down side of working nights, I miss all the good stuff.

And DarkGentleman, yes we should try to live a little greener. After reading an article in my paper today it will at least save you some money on your utility bills. More money=more fabric

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:41 AM   #18
dark_dragon_of_ice

Global warming is like the earth has fever and is trying to kill off a disease it just caught called humanity=p .Just a day in bed for earth and then it will be all better.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #19
Drake Dun

Quote:
Yes. Just never among scientists. We've been through this. Could they be wrong? Yes. But absent a specific reason to believe so, it makes sense to trust them. Scientists have a really good track record.

Drake
Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #20
ArtificialOne

As I said.. It's more scary to think we can't change this because it's natural.. which they never really address...

And today they said that global warming has stopped the big hurricanes this year... which is opposite of what they said last year...

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 04-18-2007, 11:10 PM   #21
Drake Dun

Quote:
As I said.. It's more scary to think we can't change this because it's natural.. which they never really address...
That's up to the people upstairs, or if you take democracy very seriously (unlike me), us. Or to individuals acting in their own capacity in view of their own interests. Scientists are just in the business of saying what's what - not what to do.

Quote:
And today they said that global warming has stopped the big hurricanes this year... which is opposite of what they said last year...
Before I respond to that, could you cite me something? I couldn't turn anything up using Google.

Drake
Old 04-19-2007, 04:29 AM   #22
Mir

Humans play their part in global warming, I think most people agree on that. Why we can't do anything concrete about it is because economic concerns take a precedence over environmental concerns. I'm just curious as to how long this can go on.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:38 AM   #23
dark_dragon_of_ice

http://www.predictweather.com/global_warming/index.asp
I do not agree with some parts of it, but i think most of it is solid

Fact: The atmosphere on the planet Venus is 100% CO2, produced entirely from volcanoes. Because it is closer to the Sun , its atmosphere is in turmoil all the time. On the other hand Mars, also with a CO2 atmosphere is so frigid its polar caps are solid CO2, which we call dry ice. The coldness comes purely because Mars is further from the Sun . If CO2 alone heated planets up,
Like this is bull right here, a solid has much different properties to a gas.

By the way this is info was given by a friend( he wanted this part in bright colours)
Old 04-19-2007, 05:09 AM   #24
Drake Dun

The enormous number of obvious errors on that page make it very, very difficult to take seriously, much less view as a serious challenge to what real scientists are saying. Congrats for picking out what is probably the worst section - a piece of nonsense that can be picked apart by anybody who has had high school level introductory physics. I'm a little baffled as to how you can agree with its basic thrust, with all the stuff like that in there.

Drake
Old 04-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #25
dark_dragon_of_ice

The information I just provided was what a friend wanted me to tell you, I actually havent looked over it myself. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression that I was the one supporting it.