Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
*aLucidMind*

"Vision without action is a daydream, action without vision is a nightmare"

I'm better at answering questions that just straight out doing an "About Me" section, so I basically jacked this little questionaire off of another forum.

1. What do you do (hobbies, job, etc)?
I study psychology and mental illnesses. In college majoring in psychology, been studying psychology and mental illnesses independently since the age of 14.
I am an assistant manager at a dollar store.
I love studying philosophy, sociology, psychology, mental illnesses, and history. I don't read as much as I used to. I love playing video games, listening to music (don't we all?), making fun of everything that can be made fun of, and just trying new things. And anything else fun that comes to mind.

2. Where are you from?
Pennsylvania.

3. Who is your favorite author?
Many. I take it you wouldn't want to read a list of 50 names.

4. What are your favorite films?
Same as my previous answer. Although Nightmare Before Christmas and The Phantom of the Opera stand out to me as my biggest favorites.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Something instrumental that is a mix of dark, soothing, and romantic ^_^

6. At your funeral?
Something incrediblely random. Like you hear very dark instrumental music and it immedietely breaks into the DDR song, "My Little Butterfly" ^_^

7. How do you want to die?
I want it to die in a way that people will remember and just start laughing because it is just that funny. Like a gang of pinatas beating me to death in retribution of my pummelling their brothers with bats for their sugary organs known as "candy" =p

8. What kind of casket would you want?
I would honestly prefer to be without a casket. I know they won't bury me casket-less so that is why i want to be cremated. I want to be cremated in a gigantic bon fire ^_^

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
I wear...clothes. I don't really have a favorite outfit. I usually bounce from one outfit style to the other. I wear whatever looks good on me and isn't sloppy. My favorite article of clothing, though, is my trenchcoat.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Only thing I miss that is from my childhood is my best friend. She was a great person.

11. What are your favorite bands?
Nightwish, Evanescence, Avenged Sevenfold and HIM. There are many more but I just feel like naming just four of my many favorites.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
Graduated high school with a diploma. In college majoring in psychology. Plan on getting a Ph.D and being a nationally certified mental health counselor.

13. Why did you join?
Read a few threads, most intelligent discussions I've seen in....ever....Yeah, basically I joined to meet people who actually have an IQ higher than that of a catfish.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Male
*aLucidMind* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
epitomeofsleep

Psychology major..Phantom of The Opera..and a act of not being patient for a page to load.

I too love learning about mental illness. For some reason I think being able to recite the symptoms of BPD is a turn on for guys.

...right? Heh!
epitomeofsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by *aLucidMind* View Post
11. What are your favorite bands?
Nightwish, Evanescence, Avenged Sevenfold and HIM.
Hm...we'll have to work on this bit, that being said you do seem like you have the potential to be a rather pleasant addition to the boards.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Apathy's_Child

Hey dude, good to meet you. We have nothing in commo music- or movie-wise, but I AM curious about your favorite authors. You don't have to name every single one, but I'd be interested to hear a few firm favorites.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
*aLucidMind*

Edgar Allan Poe, Joanne Greenburg, Anne Rice, Sylvia Plathe, Shakespeare, R.L. Stine, Flora Rheta Schrieber, and Ellen Schrieber are all pretty much my top eight.

Although my favorite book is Sybil. Basically a biographical novel written by Flora Rheta Schrieber on Sybil Isabelle Dorsett (a pseudonym for Shirley Ardell Mason) ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Hm...we'll have to work on this bit, that being said you do seem like you have the potential to be a rather pleasant addition to the boards.
lol, why must we work on my taste in music?
Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
lol, why must we work on my taste in music?
Because you like shit music.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
*aLucidMind*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
Because you like shit music.
I don't think its shit, I rather like it. I respect your opinion though, you have your taste and I have mine. Anyway, I've actually been looking for more artists to listen to since I am growing rather bored of them since I haven't really looked for anything new in a while. Suggestions?

Lacuna Coil, Hollywood Undead, Seether, Epica, Korn, Disturbed, Joan Jett, Alice, Stone Temple Pilots, Sublime, Cradle of Filth, Papa Roach, Billy Idol, Bikini Kill, Flyleaf, Judas Priest, Limp Bizkit, Within Temptation, Kamelot, and t.a.T.u are a few more of what I listen to.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Apathy's_Child

Don't take the negative shit personally, man - people are pretty harsh in intro threads, and it's very elitist here. However it also performs the valuable function of weeding out the people who are liable to start going, "FUCK YOO ASSHOLE, I'M LEAVING. You guys are idiots and I am a unique individual who will not bow to your standards. Well done you are now going to miss out on mah wisdom, nice going dickwad. EVANNESSENSE FTW!!!", before heading off to make 50 threads about how much this site sucks.

You seem like a reasonable guy with a few brain cells, so once everyone's popped in to tell you how much it all sucks you'll probably get along fine here. And there are some pretty good reccommendations on music, literature and movies to be found if you're interested in branching out.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Sinjob

Well overall good to see this one can spell. Welcome aboard!
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

Wow... but nah, we're over criticizing people for just music. It's just music after all. But if you really are open you should look into goth musicians. There's the standard ones like Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy, but I just feel you might like the newer ones better, like Bloody Dead and Sexy, Frank the Baptist, Cinema Strange, and Voodoo Church.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Romantic Raven

Quote:
Edgar Allan Poe, Joanne Greenburg, Anne Rice, Sylvia Plathe, Shakespeare, R.L. Stine, Flora Rheta Schrieber, and Ellen Schrieber are all pretty much my top eight.
Thumbs up for Sylvia Plath!
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic Raven View Post
Personally, I'm a Ted Hughes man. His wives wound up giving him more to whine about than they EVER had. :]

Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
Romantic Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Personally, I'm a Ted Hughes man. His wives wound up giving him more to whine about than they EVER had. :]
You would be, now, wouldn't you? :P

I have to admit, I haven't read anything he's written. And as for Sylvia Plath, I don't admire her or her life, but her poetry is amazing for all its intensity.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
Saya

Whoa, R.L.Stine, thats really really weird because I was thinking for the first time in years the other day about that book series he had about the possessed cheerleaders.

And you're music's not all bad, you have Bikini Kill there. Listen to Le Tigre?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
JCC

Okay, I can understand that we're trying to be nice and all for a change, but let's not beat around the bush here, this guy's taste in anything at all is universally awful and he at least needs a quick slap around the chops.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
You would be, now, wouldn't you? :P

I have to admit, I haven't read anything he's written. And as for Sylvia Plath, I don't admire her or her life, but her poetry is amazing for all its intensity.
He writes a lot of nature stuff, but not in a romantic, Wordsworth kind of way - it's mostly pretty dark and primal. He was really into the savage side of everything. Plus, he's written two of the few really good love poems I've ever read. His two best-known collections are Birthday Letters (which he wrote about Plath years after she died) and Crow, which is based around this trickster figure he created. He was a huge iconoclast too, and wrote quite a lot of stuff about the Bible, messing with the stories in Genesis. It's interesting shit, I'd recommend checking him out if you're into that kind of thing.

I've always found Plath annoyingly self-indulgent, but that's a personal preference, and she HAS written some good poems.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #17
*aLucidMind*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Don't take the negative shit personally, man - people are pretty harsh in intro threads, and it's very elitist here. However it also performs the valuable function of weeding out the people who are liable to start going, "FUCK YOO ASSHOLE, I'M LEAVING. You guys are idiots and I am a unique individual who will not bow to your standards. Well done you are now going to miss out on mah wisdom, nice going dickwad. EVANNESSENSE FTW!!!", before heading off to make 50 threads about how much this site sucks.

You seem like a reasonable guy with a few brain cells, so once everyone's popped in to tell you how much it all sucks you'll probably get along fine here. And there are some pretty good reccommendations on music, literature and movies to be found if you're interested in branching out.
I have never really taken any of the negative stuff personally, although sometimes I do wind up wording things in a way that comes off like I do. I don't let criticism or negative comments get to me. If I did then I would be a bit of a hypocrite because I'm the same way now and then. Besides, I can take a lot of crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
Well overall good to see this one can spell. Welcome aboard!
Thanks ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
Wow... but nah, we're over criticizing people for just music. It's just music after all. But if you really are open you should look into goth musicians. There's the standard ones like Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy, but I just feel you might like the newer ones better, like Bloody Dead and Sexy, Frank the Baptist, Cinema Strange, and Voodoo Church.
Agreed. I'll look them up, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Listen to Le Tigre?
Heard of them, but I haven't really listened to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Okay, I can understand that we're trying to be nice and all for a change, but let's not beat around the bush here, this guy's taste in anything at all is universally awful and he at least needs a quick slap around the chops.
I think that would be rather pointless, since I'm going to be myself regardless of what is said or done towards me. I don't like everything anyway. If I did then Brittany Spears would be on the list as well *shudders at the thought of listening to her music*.

Only real reason I like Evanescence is due to a personal reason and I identified with a couple of songs. Nightwish, mainly because I like opera and rock and they were the only bands I know that is anywhere close to a mix of the two. I do suppose it was dumb to consider any bands my true favorites since I don't really listen to bands, I listen to songs. I tend to say I listen to this band or that band because it is easier than listing a bunch of songs I like instead.
Example-I only listen to about four songs that t.a.T.u made, eight including the russian versions.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
Knight in Shining Armour

I don't mind you very much at all.
There really isn't anything wrong in liking the music that you do; it's simply that we need to broaden your listening to music more off the gothic genre. London After Midnight and The Birthday Massacre are two of my favorites, if you don't mind my suggestions.

Welcome to the boards.
Knight in Shining Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
Still Jack

Quote:
I could never get into her stuff. I just never liked it much.

Anyone like Bukowski?
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #20
Apathy's_Child

Lots of people here like Bukowski - I'm pretty sure there's at least one thread on him somewhere, although I can't remember how long ago it started.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #21
epitomeofsleep

Lucid, to pay attention to the twats here. All they know about music is what comes on MTV's Headbangers Ball. Seriously.

And Lacuna Coil is amazing, their newest CD is just..no. :/ And lol @ tatu. They have some good beats.
epitomeofsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #22
*aLucidMind*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight in Shining Armour View Post
I don't mind you very much at all.
There really isn't anything wrong in liking the music that you do; it's simply that we need to broaden your listening to music more off the gothic genre. London After Midnight and The Birthday Massacre are two of my favorites, if you don't mind my suggestions.

Welcome to the boards.
Oh, I don't mind your suggestions or anyone elses. I do agree that I need to broaden it a bit more. I'm actually very picky, hence why I like songs and not bands. I'm going to be taking a look at all the bands that are recommended to me here so I can see if I like them, given that my computer will work.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epitomeofsleep View Post
Lucid, to pay attention to the twats here. All they know about music is what comes on MTV's Headbangers Ball. Seriously.

And Lacuna Coil is amazing, their newest CD is just..no. :/ And lol @ tatu. They have some good beats.
Eh, I don't really care about it. Only thing that bugs me is that they're being rather stupid and immature about it. At least give recommend a few bands you like if you're going to say my taste in music sucks lol.

I didn't know Lacuna Coil released a new CD. The most recent one I've listened to is Karmacode, shows how far off track I am =/ lol
t.a.T.u does have good beats. I listen to a few of their songs when I play games like Super Smash Bros Brawl. I wind up zoning out to the point where I don't hear the lyrics, but I still hear the beat. I even got a friend to edit the lyrics out so I could just listen to the beat lol.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #23
JCC

Quote:
Eh, I don't really care about it. Only thing that bugs me is that they're being rather stupid and immature about it. At least give recommend a few bands you like if you're going to say my taste in music sucks lol.
I just wrote out the biggest recommendations list I've ever done for anyone. Then I realised that I just wasted an hour on thinking of a fucking shit-ton of bands you'll probably never check out, so I'll just say Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band, Neutral Milk Hotel and leave you be. I'll save it in Notepad or something and you can PM me if you want the longass list, but you'd be working your way through that thing for months.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #24
Solumina

Awww come on JCC post the list, you don't have to post it here but at least make a thread in the music section, after all it is a bit lacking in music recommendations.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #25
*aLucidMind*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I just wrote out the biggest recommendations list I've ever done for anyone. Then I realised that I just wasted an hour on thinking of a fucking shit-ton of bands you'll probably never check out, so I'll just say Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band, Neutral Milk Hotel and leave you be. I'll save it in Notepad or something and you can PM me if you want the longass list, but you'd be working your way through that thing for months.
Try more about three months lol, my computer is that slow. But I actually will check them all out. I'm actually surprised you took an hour out of your time so I suppose I should thank you for that. Like I said before, I need to start listening to more bands anyway. I've been stuck with the same damn playlist for about a year and a half so I need to start searching again.

I would say that I would PM you, but I can't. Every time I try it says that I can't. I know I activated my account since I'm able to post but its still saying it is privileged access. Can't access my inbox or anything =/ I'll bet it is something obvious I'm overlooking.