Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:50 AM   #1
darkestmoon

Smile Books to Recommend

Does anyone have any good books to recommend?
darkestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:50 AM   #2
angel011

Can you be more specific than just 'good books'?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:00 AM   #3
Shi'ark

The best horror book I read was The Rats by James Herbert. I think I might have mentioned that before, so go and get the book.

Books are books Kitty, so what do you like?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:12 AM   #4
angel011

Books are books, true, but I have no idea what darkestmoon likes. I wouldn't waht to recommend Palahniuk to someone who likes Mercedes Lackey.

I like weird & unusual (Gaiman and Palahniuk are good examples of what I enjoy most).
Old 03-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
DirtyBlonde

The last good book I read was "Sex with Kings." It's a history book about the mistresses and courtesans of kings throughout time. It's very engrossing, detailed--some of which are really bizarre. I like to read up on the naughty bits of history so I can put them in my stories. I have worked on some historical horror stories, and I like to seem to know what I'm talking about.
DirtyBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
DemureDemise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlonde
The last good book I read was "Sex with Kings." It's a history book about the mistresses and courtesans of kings throughout time. It's very engrossing, detailed--some of which are really bizarre. I like to read up on the naughty bits of history so I can put them in my stories. I have worked on some historical horror stories, and I like to seem to know what I'm talking about.

That sounds most intriguing. Can someone recommend me some good fantasy reading?
DemureDemise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:39 PM   #7
angel011

Have you read George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice And Fire" series? Four books so far, three more to be written. The best fantasy I've read lately.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:31 AM   #8
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel011
Books are books, true, but I have no idea what darkestmoon likes. I wouldn't waht to recommend Palahniuk to someone who likes Mercedes Lackey.

I like weird & unusual (Gaiman and Palahniuk are good examples of what I enjoy most).
Yup - Palahniuk's "Invisible Monsters" is my favourite. I'd recommend it to anyone. A good book is a good book.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
Chris Kelly

Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, pretty much anything by Steinbeck, To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee and get some poetry down your neck, a bit of Ted Hughes, Larkin, Yeats, Wilfred Owen and Spike Milligan.
Chris Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #10
Wise Child

Chris Kelly, will you marry me?!

I'd like to add The Magic Toyshop and Wise Children by Angela Carter, The Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker and Paradise by Toni Morrison.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #11
Avarice

The "Wheel of Time" Series by Robert Jordan.

Damn its long, but damn its good.
Avarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:45 PM   #12
Paper_Wings

I thought "A Great And Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray was really good. Stephanie Meyer's "Twilight" was also one of my favorites.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:54 PM   #13
Icarian Decoding

"A Brief History of Time", by Stephen Hawking. It was an awesome book.
If you're looking to aquire new skills, then anything by O'rielly or the "For Dummies series".
The Hardy Boys are always a good read. Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress", was good IMHO too. All of the classics by Orwell, Wells, and Tolkein are also good. "Space Odessy 2001", was an odd book, but it was okay. Finally, my personal favorite book, of all time, of ever, ever, ever, ever: "The Giver".
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:04 AM   #14
Lackluster_Heavens

Lets see. The Darktower Series by Stephen King. Paradise Lost by Milton. The Divine Comedy by Dante (Purgatorio is my favorite of the three), Slaughter House Five and Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut, Beyond Good and Evil by Frederick Nietzsche, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, Wilderness: The Lost Writing of Jim Morrison and The Lords and The New Creatures and The American Night: The Writings of Jim Morrison all of them by Jim Morrison, Age of Reason by Thomas Paine, Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience (Two books) by William Blake. Thats all I can do off the top of my head, can ya tell I read alot?
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Lackluster_Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:08 AM   #15
Lackluster_Heavens

Oh, and of course, La Vita Nuova by Dante.
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Lackluster_Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #16
burningangel

Quote:
Have you read George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice And Fire" series? Four books so far, three more to be written. The best fantasy I've read lately.
Awsome series, but alot of people have trouble reading it, dont know why =)

Anyways, I really liked "The Risen Empire" by Scott Westerfeld.
burningangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:44 AM   #17
angel011

"Hannibal" by Thomas Harris was great.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #18
Engulfed_in_darkness

For horror fanatics I recomend Ravens Point by Melinda Metz. Romance and evil with evil speaking through small letter poems everyone now and then and the horror. It encircles teenagers in an island neamed Ravens Point and is truly a 21th century century classic of american horror novels.
Engulfed_in_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #19
CreepyTendencies

I highly recommend City Infernal and Infernal Angel by Edward Lee. Two of my favorites ;-).
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #20
Engulfed_in_darkness

I also reccomend Dracula by Bram Stoker. Traditional vampirism and a great book in the making.
Engulfed_in_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #21
OveridleEvildoer

Quote:

I read the first couple chapters of Haunted and got too grossed out to continue.
OveridleEvildoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #22
OveridleEvildoer

I've been waiting for the next Thomas Harris book for about 2 years. It was supposed to come out last November, then March. Now it's supposed to be released with the movie...
Old 04-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #23
OveridleEvildoer

If you liked Hannibal, I would suggest reading Solar Eclipse by John Farris. Sacrifice by Farris is a must-read.

I've been looking through the book threads and haven't seen anyone recommend Joyce Carol Oates. Bellefleur is one of my all time favorites.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #24
A Simple Poet

Joyce Carol Oates is fantastic. Has anyone reviewed her collection of short stories entitled: 'Haunted'? They are quite worth the effort.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #25
Godslayer Jillian

I reccomend American Gods.
There's an interesting story involving a tiger's balls which makes the book worth buying just to read it
Although I encourage you to keep reading it. There are a lot of funny parts besides the amazingly entrancing story.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote