Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Cen0bite

Man sees 'mark', cuts off hand

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/09/han...ef=mpstoryview

HAYDEN, Idaho (AP) -- A man who believed he bore the biblical "mark of the beast" used a circular saw to cut off one hand, then he cooked it in the microwave and called 911, authorities said.

The man, in his mid-20s, was calm when Kootenai County sheriff's deputies arrived Saturday. He was in protective custody in the mental health unit of Kootenai Medical Center.

"It had been somewhat cooked by the time the deputy arrived," sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said. "He put a tourniquet on his arm before, so he didn't bleed to death. That kind of mental illness is just sad."

It was not immediately clear whether the man has a history of mental illness. Hospital spokeswoman Lisa Johnson would not say whether an attempt was made to reattach the hand, citing patient confidentiality.

The Book of Revelation in the New Testament contains a passage in which an angel is quoted as saying: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, he, too, will drink the wine of God's fury."

The book of Matthew also contains the passage: "And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for you whole body to do into hell."

Wolfinger said he didn't know which hand was amputated.

Now,..that's just fuckin' stupid.
But, i wonder what the mark actually looked like. hmm...

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Kanedawg

Yeah. I wonder, too. Cooked it so as to make sure they could not reattach it I would think. Figuring when he called 911 that it would me medium rare by the time the cops and meds arrived. He gave this some thought it would seem.
Kanedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
(in Bart Simpson voice)

So does the hand go to heaven and wait for him, or did the hand go to hell? What if the hand was good and went to heaven, and he went to hell, wouldn't there be a hand floating around in heaven? Is heaven filled with floating body parts?

O_o

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
ugh...

This is a quote from http://www.markbeast.com/ :
The mark of the beast will be a literal, physical combination of letters and symbols. It will be permanently and prominently engraved or tatooed on the forehead or right hand of each person who gets the mark of the beast.

I gather (from reading the webpage) that TMOTB just looks like a really sweet tatoo on your hand.
--> An interesting sidenote is that the VeriChip, a radio frequeny identity device, has numbers and letters on it and is put into a person's right hand. When it has healed the scar looks like a grain of rice. Some religious fanatics have begun to believe that the VeriChip is TMOTB.
ugh... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Kanedawg

There is a website out there somewhere, if it's still around, about the idea that Bush is the anti-Christ. You might find it interesting. Among other things, Bush and his family, as well as Clinton and a lot of others, frequently make the "devil" sign. In Bush's case they claim it is in support of the Texas Longhorns. A, um... football team?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Cen0bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanedawg
There is a website out there somewhere, if it's still around, about the idea that Bush is the anti-Christ. You might find it interesting. Among other things, Bush and his family, as well as Clinton and a lot of others, frequently make the "devil" sign. In Bush's case they claim it is in support of the Texas Longhorns. A, um... football team?
Well, Bush is a christian..so..it wouldn't make sense for him to be the anti-christ.

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Kanedawg

Hi, Cen0bite. I think the argument of his Christianity is debatable. A lot of men, women, and children have died and worse because of him. Not that I necessarily think he is some literal anti-Christ. Put it this way, might it make sense for the anti-Christ to portray himself as Christian? One wouldn't expect him to play fair.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Signe

"If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, he, too, will drink the wine of God's fury."

And

"And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for you whole body to do into hell."

Made me laugh out loud

No offense, in case there happen to be any Christians here, but Christianity is sad It makes the pink elephant over there burst out in tears!:'(
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
Kanedawg

Poor pink elephant! :^( He, she, it, may want to bare in mind that the followers of any belief, including Christianity, that make the news tend not to be the happy stable ones who don't hurt anyone. The media makes things seem worse than they are by ignoring the good in the world.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signe
No offense, in case there happen to be any Christians here, but Christianity is sad It makes the pink elephant over there burst out in tears!:'(
Obviously, you don't pay attention to much at all. Humane is a Christian.
I like how you say "no offense", then insult Christianity. Cute..
Old 01-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
Kanedawg

Hi Korinna. Not directed related to what your saying but I had thought to amend my statement by adding the most visible and vocal representatives of many beliefs, including Christianity, tend to give the whole belief a bad reputation, in addition to the media. I like Humane's signature, in that regard.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
korinna5555

Heh.. like the "OMG I'M WICCAN"s who curse everyone, get on the news, and it all goes downhill from there..
Old 01-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
Signe

No, I did not insult Christianity, I stated my opinion on it and I did not want anybody to be offended. I have acquaintances that are Christian and well, I do not care what they believe in, but I have dealt with these "super-Christians" who are all like "If you do this or that Jesus will judge you and you will burn in hell"... ...Riiight... ...I am not a Christian and none of my friends are, so I think that whole Jesus-will-judge-you thing is quite offensive.

Oh and Korinna, do not belittle me, if you treat me like that you can go fuck yourself.
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
Cen0bite

....wow...

Old 01-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
korinna5555

Quote:
you can go fuck yourself.
You say that A LOT.
Can anyone say "broken record"?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #16
Kanedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen0bite
....wow...
I second that emotion. And I feel for you Signe. Identifiy with you a bit, even. I often fuck up, socially. Even though Korinna is a pretty damned cool person.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #17
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
(in Bart Simpson voice)

So does the hand go to heaven and wait for him, or did the hand go to hell? What if the hand was good and went to heaven, and he went to hell, wouldn't there be a hand floating around in heaven? Is heaven filled with floating body parts?

O_o
Haha! I love you HP! But seriously, thats pretty fucked up. When people take religion too far, it's really kind of scary.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #18
L'Oiseau Noir

The guy was just fucking crazy. It was probably just a spaghetti sauce stain from his previous night's dinner.

And all this anti-christian talk. *Long, sulky sigh.*

We're not all like that, ya know.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen0bite
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/09/han...ef=mpstoryview

HAYDEN, Idaho (AP) -- A man who believed he bore the biblical "mark of the beast" used a circular saw to cut off one hand, then he cooked it in the microwave and called 911, authorities said.

The man, in his mid-20s, was calm when Kootenai County sheriff's deputies arrived Saturday. He was in protective custody in the mental health unit of Kootenai Medical Center.

"It had been somewhat cooked by the time the deputy arrived," sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said. "He put a tourniquet on his arm before, so he didn't bleed to death. That kind of mental illness is just sad."

It was not immediately clear whether the man has a history of mental illness. Hospital spokeswoman Lisa Johnson would not say whether an attempt was made to reattach the hand, citing patient confidentiality.

The Book of Revelation in the New Testament contains a passage in which an angel is quoted as saying: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, he, too, will drink the wine of God's fury."

The book of Matthew also contains the passage: "And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for you whole body to do into hell."

Wolfinger said he didn't know which hand was amputated.

Now,..that's just fuckin' stupid.
But, i wonder what the mark actually looked like. hmm...
Woww... just... wow

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #20
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir
The guy was just fucking crazy. It was probably just a spaghetti sauce stain from his previous night's dinner.

Forgive me, that wasn't meant as an anti-christian comment. I just meant that people who take ANY religion too far terrify me. It's people like that guy who were sick in the head as well, that sent an army of children to try and conquer Jerusalem, or flew a plane into a skyscraper to try and kill the "evil heathen westerners". The whole concept scares the shit out of me.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #21
Xombie

Hah. This guy is crazy. I suppose I would cut off a limb too if I believed that allowing it to stay intact would send me to everlasting torture.

Oh, and
Quote:
that was so completely and totally rude. You could have pointed out some of the aspects you don't necessarily agree with, but turning down the entire religion with no reasonable explanation is just disrespectful.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #22
KontanKarite

Honest to gods Christians seem to be quite meek and mild to me. HP and Noir doesn't strike me as the kind of person I'd want to inch away from.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #23
Kanedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir

I know. And I think a lot of us here do. :^) Like I said it's the worst ones that tend to make the news, as with goths or anybody else.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #24
L'Oiseau Noir

It's all good, I understand why you'd have the opinions you do about it.

Trust me, I've been there like any other Goth. xD

Like I was at the mall and some old lady came up to me, and then she asked me if I wanted to be saved--that I was straying along the path of Lucifer, or something like that. Once I recited a passage from the Bible though, she looked quite awestruck and hobbled off, only to proceed to bother a gaggle of mallgoths... but no one cares about them.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #25
Beneath the Shadows

So, what, did this guy do a bunch of drugs and then watch Idle Hands?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote