Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #3426
Still Jack

Plus if anyone is offended by picture of a turd, they need to grow up.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #3427
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
You know, I honestly take straight-up offense to the idea that those were fake accounts. We used our names here, we used our avatars. I linked my website in the profile. Don't you think if we were planning to troll it would've been a better idea to use ACTUAL fake names for our "fake" accounts?
The accounts doppleganger2 created on bb were fake. Doppleganger2 feigning outrage here and quoting posts actually written by doppleganger2 themselves qualifies as fake to me. I didn't say your account was fake. I'm sorry if you read it that way, but I thought it was pretty clear.

Quote:
My previous thread wasn't breaking any rules and you deleted it, nor were my posts. I just held an opinion you didn't like.
You called on a moderator to answer some questions, which was fine, but then you devolved into smarmy judgmental name calling and 'jokes' about killing me, not to mention a bit of intellectually dishonest rhetoric. I answered your questions in good faith but learned to regret it because it was ultimately futile.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Deadman was spamming to the point that an ENTIRE PAGE in the SN forum was taken up with NOTHING BUT copypasta infowars articles. It was completely out of line and shitted up these forums way worse than a single response to a flame.

The entire community agrees that he's spamming. I've NEVER SEEN such a consensus on gnet, and yet you're ignoring it.
We had this conversation before. I posted that it was my opinion that Deadman wasn't really breaking the rules. Some of you made cases for it being a violation, but in my judgment it was not really a huge problem. I suggested using the ignore option if you really didn't like it. But, you don't seem to process input. If you don't get the answer you want, you just keep going round and round. You mentioned that you are very liberal identified in your earlier thread, I get that. Deadmans posts make your head hurt. I get that too. But, just because you don't like it doesn't make it automatically the same as Nike and Pharma bot posts. I explained that already. You ran it up the flagpole but it failed to fully convince me. Are you really going to just keep crying about it or will you simply take some responsibility for yourself and click the ignore link? Do you know how many spam post reports I get from people here that simply don't like what the other person was posting? Deadman even started posting all the articles in one single thread so as not to fetter your sensitive little eyeballs too much. I'm not saying Deadman was always right in what he was doing, and I certainly don't agree with some of the points being asserted in those articles, but you had an answer to this issue already.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I'm happy you finally said something, I'm disappointed it was over "plagiarism" (because it's not plagiarism, he's reposting, not claiming he wrote the articles) but it's bordering on too little too late.

I'm also happy you're finally engaging the community in something resembling a dialogue.

I guess baby steps?
Read carefully. I said it was going towards the realm of plagiarism, I didn't call it plagiarism. Just because you attribute text to it's source, I believe there are still some limits on fair use.

I guess you are happy, but I don't see the upside at all. What good came from it? Actually, better yet, could we just not argue about this anymore?

Sorry to clutter up your Rant thread with this stupidity.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #3428
Despanan

Quote:
I guess you are happy, but I don't see the upside at all. What good came from it?
Well:

A) We got our emoticons, and

B) We finally got some answers

C) Now Deadman at least has to put in work to spam.

Also, as I said, I'm happy that you're finally engaging the community. I've worked as a Moderator before, and moderation isn't simply about deleting spam and handing out bans, it's also about leadership and communicating with the users to ensure the community moves in a healthy direction.

I've been very critical of your policies, well, pretty-much my entire time here, because you seem to:

1) Never be around

and

2) Really not give a shit

I like to see you investing some time and actually responding to our questions and criticism. Did it have the outcome I had hoped? No. Do I think you and the BlueBlood moderators handled this little "crisis" well? Nope.

But we have to take what we can get, so props.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #3429
vindicatedxjin

...Agreed.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #3430
Kalitrima

I can admit to being quite stellar at pansy-ism, so I won't address the whole 'was it right or wrong' issue. After all, I'm still a newbie, and am still feeling my way around to see what the norms here are. Slow? Yes, but I'm taking the time to soak it all in so I don't go running around setting people off everywhere.

I will say, though, that it's always nice to see moderators taking an interest in the community. I also understand how important it would be to stay at least partially neutral in issues. Perhaps a balance can be struck, perhaps it can't. But it'd be nice to watch it develop some. After all, this is a community, and. . . yeah, I'll quit while I'm behind.

As for actual ranting (since that's why I came to this thread), my entire body hurts. It was dumping rain yesterday, which was amazing. I love rain. And I pranced around in it for about an hour. Much longer than I should have, since it was freaking freezing. I didn't, however, realize a few things:
1) My black shirt had become partially transparent and was clinging to me (thank god I always wear a bra), and
2) My mascara was running like mad, which I forgot it does when it gets wet. Not a big makeup-wearer, here.
Despite looking like a bit of a freakshow, dancing and prancing around in the rain looking like a black-clad clown out of work and giggling constantly, people actually talked to me. It's weird. They were all perfectly friendly, and I told one of them about Etsy. And she advised that I try and sell some of my local team scarves around town, because she guaranteed people would buy them. So it was a pretty good day. But holy shit, when I got home, I couldn't stop shivering. Like, absolutely shaking. And right now, everything's aching. I don't want to move at all. But I have to, since Dad's taking me to Cottage Grove. At least I won't have to move at all once I get there. . . Auuuugh.
Kalitrima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #3431
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic.net View Post
Thank goodness it doesn't say Can I start forty threads on nearly the same topic? or we'd all be in trouble.
Quoted for truth.

I had made the case that the ignore function was not a satisfactory fix while Deadman was posting so many new articles that the entire first page of Spooky News was full of them and I was actually missing the articles by other people (because the ignore function does not ignore threads started by the ignored person, just individual posts once you view the thread.)

Deadman satisfied my concerns by posting to one thread all the time, although I did have the concern that he was practically reproducing the content of those other sites here. Admin has addressed that pretty well.

But yeah, I gotta say, this merry little community sure does like to make a whole lot of redundant threads.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #3432
Entropic

Gothic.net,

If you want to talk about intellectual dishonesty, then own up to the fact that saying you don't have a policy against posting 40 topics on "nearly" the same topic is as intellectually dishonest as it comes. Come on, you and I know better than that.

I think a good portion of the grievance we have is that we feel you've done too little at too late of a time. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that we would have preferred you step in before the problem evolved in to what it did.

Also, just curious, why is there only one/two administrator(s)/moderator(s)? If you need help managing the place, due to time constraints or whatever, you've got plenty of active users to pick from.
Entropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #3433
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
Also, just curious, why is there only one/two administrator(s)/moderator(s)? If you need help managing the place, due to time constraints or whatever, you've got plenty of active users to pick from.
I am very interested to see if you get a response to this, as it is a question that gets asked over and over again on this site. I don't know if you've been here before in a different persona, but I've been here a while. The admin(s) here are never looking for volunteers to moderate (although they did "fire" a bunch of user mods in 2006 over a disagreement/rebellion about spam.)

I've never seen them change their mind based on what any users here said about wanting more mods or more admin interaction. Did you have some indication this time is different?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 04-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #3434
Entropic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I've never seen them change their mind based on what any users here said about wanting more mods or more admin interaction. Did you have some indication this time is different?
S/He seems to want to take input and get more involved. If that's the case, hiring staff could take the workload off of him.

Then again, I am new here, so I might just be missing out on a pattern.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #3435
Ben Lahnger

Who knows? As I said, I'm interested to see if you get a response.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #3436
Methadrine

Heck, even I would carry the grievous and ungrateful task of modding just to stop all the complaining.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #3437
Ben Lahnger

Again, point missed. There's no shortage of people who say they want to volunteer for the position. Saying so does not make help wanted ad appear.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 04-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #3438
Despanan

I have a thoery about Deadman's Spam, and why he gets away with it and is only now slapped on the wrist for boarderline "plagiarism".

Based upon the admin's bizzare behavior, and use of the term "false flag attack" to describe Doppelganger2's sock-puppet trolling, I'm starting to wonder if the Admin actually IS some NWO conspiracy nutjob, and allows the spam to continue because s/he actually thinks it's real news.

Now I have nothing to go on (besides the inscrutible refusal to moderate this stuff, and Gothic.net's choice of language) but it is suspicious to say the least.

Anyway, I may be totally off-base, but I'll be on the lookout to see if this post gets deleted, and for tinfoil hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #3439
vindicatedxjin

I'll be a witness!

Bring Kontan Back
Old 04-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #3440
the-nihilist

You know, now that I think about it... this site does seem a little shady.

Get it? It's a goth site and I said it's "shady" y'know.... like dark? HAHAHAHA!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #3441
Entropic

I seriously hate the ignorant fucks who leave live ammunition on public fucking streets. Even if it's only a .22 caliber shell, keep a check on every one of your god damn bullets.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #3442
Underwater Ophelia

I'd like to point out that Korinna wants people to be able to say whatever they like...unless it isn't what she likes.

Why should deadman be censored? Are you for censorship or not, little lady?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #3443
the-nihilist

Apparently black spring break is taking place this weekend around where I live. The way people are talking about it, I feel like I should be preparing for some kind of impending catastrophe.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #3444
gothicusmaximus

Gothic.net, why can't you be ill-tempered and hair-trigger to my convenience for once? That is to say, just fucking ban Korinna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
Based upon the admin's bizzare behavior, and use of the term "false flag attack" to describe Doppelganger2's sock-puppet trolling, I'm starting to wonder if the Admin actually IS some NWO conspiracy nutjob, and allows the spam to continue because s/he actually thinks it's real news.
The administration here is infamously to the right of the average Gnet member. While that he's a jibbering paranoid to the same extent as Deadman is doubtful, I wouldn't be surprised if Gothic.net views Alex Jones' healthstapo screed as a hyperbolized version of the truth, rather than as the pure insanity it is.
Honestly, as long as Deadman doesn't flood the board, he isn't doing anything that actually merits a ban-- but hey, Albert Mond didn't do anything either, and if the management gets rid of this guy we'll all toast his even hand instead of whining for months.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #3445
Entropic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
I imagine she'll eventually stand in a courtroom and say "my former employers implied [a, b, and c] and it wasn't true". As I'm certain said former employers already know to which accusations she takes offense, I don't see what possible negative ramifications could emerge from posting them here.
One of the negative ramifications I see is thus:

She says what her employer did.
Her employer says that they did not happen.
Her employer then accuses her of posting libel and/or slander on the internet.
She ends up facing a counter-suit for liberal and/or slander, which weakens her case.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #3446
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
One of the negative ramifications I see is thus:

She says what her employer did.
Her employer says that they did not happen.
Her employer then accuses her of posting libel and/or slander on the internet.
She ends up facing a counter-suit for liberal and/or slander, which weakens her case.
But because of her case is in fact extremely legit, it turns out all she's done is post the truth on the internet, so she'll end up winning both suits and walking away with enough money to move out of her mom’s house-- excuse me, I mean buy a new horse.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #3447
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
But because of her case is in fact extremely legit, it turns out all she's done is post the truth on the internet, so she'll end up winning both suits and walking away with enough money to move out of her mom’s house-- excuse me, I mean buy a new horse.
That isn't how a counter-suit works, you're smart enough to know better.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #3448
Entropic

I think I'm condemned to ingrown facial hair. Bloody hell do these things itch.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #3449
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
That isn't how a counter-suit works
That's absolutely how a countersuit works. In fact, I said virtually nothing that isn't implicit in the very definition of 'countersuit'. I'm really curious to know what warped understanding of the law you hold such that you take issue with what I wrote, but it seems an explanation is too much to expect-- you're just going to make groundless statements and that'll be that. Then again, you've taken it upon yourself to champion an unrelenting idiot and career fuck-up as she boldly takes it upon herself to mire her already pathetic life even further in the rancid excrement of failure through any means available, so when in Rome, I suppose.

Quote:
you're smart enough to know better.
See, this just makes it worse. Advice: if you find yourself disagreeing with someone you know to be smarter than you are, the best course of action is usually just to shut up, let it be, and assume your stunted mind has misled you once again. Otherwise, shit is probably going to get embarrassing.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #3450
vindicatedxjin

Ugh I feel all nostalgic and lovey dovey...for unknown reasons. Hate it.

Bring Kontan Back