Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Blackthorn_Childe

Introduction: Blackthorn_Childe

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I'm currently out of a job due to a shitty working environment. But, as for hobbies, I'm into Japanese art, history and culture. I love to read, write poems, short stories and I'm currently working on a book, though I'd be too shy to talk about it. (And I'm superstitious about talking about works before they're done>.<) I'm very nature-oriented and I love to be outdoors. I've
been taking martial arts (Aikido) for the last three years. I like to draw, though I'm no artist.

2. Where are you from?
I'm from Atlanta, Georgia.

3. Who is your favorite author?
I don't have one favorite author, but a few that I like are Caitlin R. Kiernan, Douglas Adams, Robert Ludlum, Tamora Pierce, and J.R.R. Tolkein.

4. What are your favorite films?
Pi is very good. The Cube series is awesome. The first one is the best, though.
I did, admittedly, love the Simpson's Movie. >.<
There are more, but that's all the favorites I can think of for right now.
Does anyone else even know about the Cube series? I just recently found out about it, and almost watched them all in one sitting.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
The Cranberries.

At the risk of sounding silly, I'm going to omit questiong 6-8 on the grounds of acute anxiety disorder and severe obessive compulsive disorder. I can't bear to talk about death. I'm prepared to be ridiculed for this, but I'm not putting myself in the position to trigger a panic attack.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Hmmm... Well, I just moved out of my parent's house and didn't take much with me, so the clothes that I wear largely belong to my boyfriend. However, one of my favorite items of clothing is the simple, tattered-looking black dress I got at Junkman's Daughter.
10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

11. What's your favorite band?
I have a few... Nine Inch Nails and the Cruxshadows being the two favorites. I also like Opeth, VNV Nation, Dream Theater, Coheed and Cambria, Joy Division, Disturbed, The Vapors, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cranberries, The Faint, T. Rex, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Slayer, and yes, Marilyn Manson.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
Next fall I'll be taking courses at the American Military University, which is online, and pursuing an associates degree in Fire Science. Hopefully, with that degree, my firefighting 1 and 2 certificates and my EMT 1 and 2 certificates, and a good score on the CPAT test, I'll be able to become a firefighter.
While I'm taking classes online, I'll also be going to my local community college for the science major transfer program so I can transfer into Georgia Tech for a major in Biology with an emphasis in Genetics and possibly a minor in Virology.
I may never end up doing anything with that second degree, but I've always wanted it. And, who knows, maybe I'll want to do something other than firefighting.

13. Why did you join?
I've been lurking for a while. I'm quite interested in the original gothic subculture. I'm not going to go around claim I'm the end all and be all of goths, I'm simply intrigued by this site, and I'd like to be a part of it.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Well, I'm female, though some people would disagree. I'm a bit androgynous.
Blackthorn_Childe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Geoluhread

Welcome to the boards
I've watched the Cube 1 and 2
Very interesting stuff... I love both of them but i like the second one more (i liked that the girl who designed the Cube was with them the whole time, that was a bit of a shock)
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Jonathan

Hello!

Pi was a fun movie, I was ecstatic when I recognized some autechre in the soundtrack - for a while I thought the only people who knew about autechre was me, autechre, and Trent Reznor.

Congrats on the aikido! I'm struggling with aikijutsu, a year in myself. I love martial arts even though they can frustrating. Good luck with your studies, I hope you are getting something good out of it.

Hope you have fun here
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Blackthorn_Childe

Aikido is much fun! It's interesting to hear that you're taking Aikijutsu. I don't think we even have a dojo for that particular martial art around here.
Good luck with your studies, as well.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
Beowulf

Hello and welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here, it looks like you have really good tastes in music !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #6
Blackthorn_Childe

Thanks for the welcome, Beowulf.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
jack_the_knife

Welcome to the boards. The Cube series was good , but I agree, the first one was best.

P.S. Sorry about OCD, a friend of mine has it as well.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Blackthorn_Childe

I just realized I left out question number ten.

I think I miss a few things about being a child. One of which is the thickets of Blackthorn trees that grew around the area where my Grandmother lived in Tennessee. There's a lot of interesting lore attached to them, as well as some medicinal properties, though those are attached to most plants. I don't know of a plant you can't do SOMETHING helpful with.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Underwater Ophelia

I like you, but you need to know that your user name is lame as hell.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #10
Blackthorn_Childe

Well, I'm glad you like me. I'm painfully shy, and I don't think very highly of myself, so I'm always afraid of making bad impressions.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
Saya

Hi and welcome ^_^ Don't worry about bad impressions, this is the interwebz after all.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #12
TheSomnambulist

Welcome to the boards.

Pi is a fascinating film. It has a certain claustrophobic aura to it that tends to give me a creeping bout of paranoia, but it's quite engaging all the same.

What is your favorite Caitlin R. Kiernan novel?
TheSomnambulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #13
Blackthorn_Childe

Actually, my favorite Kiernan book isn't a novel, it's one of her collections of short stories- To Charles Fort, with Love.
My favorite work of hers, in particular, is the Dandridge Cycle (A Redress for Andromeda, Nor Demons Down Under the Sea, and Andromeda Among Stones).
Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
biohazard

Welcome to the boards.
A friend of mine is really into Opeth so I have been digging them lately. Oh and Slayer rocks \M/
Old 11-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
dabbadmc

I have OCD too, so that doesn't sound silly.

Welcome to the boards; an impressive introduction!
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
Blackthorn_Childe

dabbadmc- Thanks! ^_^ And, it's nice to know someone has first hand experience with OCD. It's a difficult disorder to understand, from a non-affected person's point of view (though my boyfriend does quite well, poor thing), so it's nice to meet other obsessive compulsives.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #17
ionic_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorn_Childe
Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Slayer, and yes, Marilyn Manson.
NO! NOoooooooooooo! WHY?!?

Well, welcome anyway. :-)
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #18
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorn_Childe

11. What's your favorite band?
I have a few... Nine Inch Nails Coheed and Cambria The Faint, T. Rex, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Slayer
So, essentially, you like bands with no singing talent?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #19
Albert Mond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
That's pretty observant.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
Blackthorn_Childe

Quote:
I have my own taste in music, and you have yours. Congratulations on finding out they're different.

Nice to meet you.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #21
a morbid curiosity

Hello Blackthorn_Childe, you seem pretty intelligent to me. I hope you enjoy Gnet.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #22
Blackthorn_Childe

Thanks, a morbid curiosity. I'm sure that I will.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #23
ionic_angel

Quote:
Oh, shut the hell up. She/he also listed a few goth bands - or do you dislike them as well?

Don't mind him, childe. He's our resident unthinking jerk. Pretty much parrots whatever JCC says, but less succinctly.
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #24
TheBloodEternity

Hey, angel...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionic_angel
NO! NOoooooooooooo! WHY?!?
Well, welcome anyways
You said something about their music tastes too, dipshit.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #25
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionic_angel
Oh, shut the hell up. She/he also listed a few goth bands - or do you dislike them as well?

Don't mind him, childe. He's our resident unthinking jerk. Pretty much parrots whatever JCC says, but less succinctly.
Would you shut up? You made fun of them for the same fucking bands I did.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote