Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #26
Ophelia's Snorkel

My source, baseless as it is, is one year of HS Latin. Gender mattered and it sucked to be you if you got born with tits.
Ophelia's Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #27
Starke von Oben

Vlad III the Impaler was a liberal, enlightened ruler who prohibited capitol punishment, brought about religious secular rights for Muslims and was an actual vampire.

I gather this information from research that yes I do trust (letters from the time and such)
Starke von Oben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #28
CountVonCount

For a long ass time in China it was easier to kill a female born child than try to give it away. That really sucks, to say the very least.
Can anyone help me with the rumour I read about an entirely female army in the Middle Ages that where hella ruthless and vicious...I can't remember where or when I read it but it said saomething about them being gothic. I have no clue in what context they were trying to say, but regardles...I'd like to know if there was such an 'army'.
CountVonCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:25 AM   #29
Solumina

There were many groups of female fighters, perhaps you were thinking of one of them and not an actual army.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #30
CountVonCount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
There were many groups of female fighters, perhaps you were thinking of one of them and not an actual army.
Army was a bad choice of word. They said something about being naked...I swear I did not read this from any book with the publisher 'Marvel,' 'DC,' or 'Dark Horse;' They may not have been completely naked but some were bare chested, others were wearing little less, like football fans heading to a game. Except these were invaders heading in to fuck up yerr hood.
CountVonCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #31
emeraldlonewoulf

try looking up skandinavian shieldmaidens, onna-bugeisha, Tomoe Gozen and Nakano Takeko, and the Amazons and Themiscra (probably your female army), Chelidonis and her band of female Spartan warriors ( another possibility) or even Kaipkire, the female African war leader. There have been several legend worthy female warriors throughout history, and not only warriors but leaders and battle tacticians.

The naked or almost naked female army sounds most like either the Amazons or
Chelidonis, but if the something about the Goths was involved, then look more into norse and skandinavian lore, because there are also legends about naked female raiders, and those cultures cover more of the same geographical area and closer timeline to the Goths.

And hey, don't discount the comic books, the artists had to gather inspiration from somewhere!

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #32
Jaye Jang

Gender to me has meant walking into the VA and being told (more times than once), "We don't have any female Veterans here", and having to say REPEATEDLY, over the years, "You're looking at one." (It also means having the American Legion: 1. Constantly refer to me as 'Sir', even though my given name is definitely female. 2. Continuously query me as to why I'm a Legionnaire (AKA a Veteran) -- and NOT a member of the women's auxiliary (AKA the wife of a Veteran), and 3. Continuously ask me if I'm my own grandchild, because I'm "too 'young' to be a Vetaran" -- not that they ask the male Veterans that). Upshot. Blondes don't actually "have more fun" -- guys do.

(Yes, I know this constitutes a 'whine' of sorts, but it basically boils down to the concept that being female constitutes a 'disability' -- and how you get treated with you don't agree with that ideology).
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #33
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang View Post
Gender to me has meant walking into the VA and being told (more times than once), "We don't have any female Veterans here", and having to say REPEATEDLY, over the years, "You're looking at one." (It also means having the American Legion: 1. Constantly refer to me as 'Sir', even though my given name is definitely female. 2. Continuously query me as to why I'm a Legionnaire (AKA a Veteran) -- and NOT a member of the women's auxiliary (AKA the wife of a Veteran), and 3. Continuously ask me if I'm my own grandchild, because I'm "too 'young' to be a Vetaran" -- not that they ask the male Veterans that). Upshot. Blondes don't actually "have more fun" -- guys do.

(Yes, I know this constitutes a 'whine' of sorts, but it basically boils down to the concept that being female constitutes a 'disability' -- and how you get treated with you don't agree with that ideology).
No I get that. A friend asked me last week sometime what about me makes me cisgender; like what characteristics I have that make me feel like a woman and not a man, and what about these characteristics are unmanly or something men can't have. I had and still have a hard time answering that, there really isn't anything, aside for the fact that biologically I am a female and the way other people treat me, and with what I was told growing up is "feminine" as opposed to "masculine".
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote