Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 01-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #26
Wednesday Friday Addams

The debate isn't about whether global warming is happening. It's about how much effect humans have on it.
Of course lets all post Non peer reviewed articles to try and prove a point that most of you including me have little idea over and are only trying to support a side due to its link in politics.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #27
ArtificialOne

Quote:
Quote:
Also in an interesting show on the history channel http://www.history.com/content/life.../about-the-show
I believe the said it would take 300+ yrs to start to see a change in the earth after we go extinct.

This is about life after people? You do realize that if people suddenly no longer existed, there would be no regular use of polluting substances. What's more, since people wouldn't multiply, there wouldn't be a constant increase in such use.
Pay attention: Even after everything stops. cold. It would take 300yrs to make a difference in anything we changed. OK, that means even if we were to stop everything. Right now. It would take 300yrs for the earth to return to whatever normal is. So if the shows correct we're fucked. Short of making giant co2 scrubbers the size of texas and launching the co2 into space, there's really nothing we can do. According to the show.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 PM   #28
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
Pay attention: Even after everything stops. cold. It would take 300yrs to make a difference in anything we changed. OK, that means even if we were to stop everything. Right now. It would take 300yrs for the earth to return to whatever normal is. So if the shows correct we're fucked. Short of making giant co2 scrubbers the size of texas and launching the co2 into space, there's really nothing we can do. According to the show.

OH PRAISE THE OMNIPOTENT SHOW.

ITS ON TV IT MUST BE RIGHT.

Refer to above post.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 PM   #29
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
I already know this. However, I've never heard of a "Co2 scrubber". The point is to stop Global warming from getting to its potential peak, not to reverese it completely.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #30
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
I already know this. However, I've never heard of a "Co2 scrubber". The point is to stop Global warming from getting to its potential peak, not to reverese it completely.
I have seen some idea's of them in the New scientist, I can't comment On how well they work.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #31
ArtificialOne

You're trying to debate global warming and you don't know what a scrubber is? WTF?

And Weds.. Can't people argue an idea. It's called an exercise. I'm quoting hypothetical here and proving a point that maybe you should be looking out for y not z because x is coming.. jebus.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #32
ArtificialOne

They work well, they've been used in factories for decades. Problem is scaling them up to be efficient enough to be viable.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 01-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #33
Wednesday Friday Addams

Repeating what a television program said isn't constructive at all. I believe you would look for something that supports your idea's rather then the other way around.
If you want to be taken seriously post peer reviewed papers instead of something so easily twisted for the programs own intent.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #34
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
They work well, they've been used in factories for decades. Problem is scaling them up to be efficient enough to be viable.
http://www.geek.com/articles/news/sc...evice-2008062/
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #35
ArtificialOne

Frakin Christ Weds. This is Frakin gnet! Get Frakin over it!

Some of you take this entertainment far to seriously.

In college weds? Ever been on a debate team? Sometimes you just have an idea, pair up, form groups then debate pros and cons. You don't get out the fact books pr wikifreakia. You just debate an idea.

This is the internet people. The real world is serious. This is just a playground for when you're bored.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #36
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:

In college weds? Ever been on a debate team? Sometimes you just have an idea, pair up, form groups then debate pros and cons. You don't get out the fact books pr wikifreakia. You just debate an idea.

This is the internet people. The real world is serious. This is just a playground for when you're bored.
You obviously take it seriously. Otherwise, you probably wouldn't be debating anything.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #37
ArtificialOne

Why? Because I keep posting? I also keep playing Tekken on my ps, but if my character dies I don't cry about it. I just hit reset and keep playing.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 01-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #38
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:

You may treat your science like a philosophy class but I don't.
science must be as sterile as possible and this is where humans are flawed.

And If your wondering this is fun for me. I am also painting.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #39
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Why? Because I keep posting? I also keep playing Tekken on my ps, but if my character dies I don't cry about it. I just hit reset and keep playing.
That's not the internet.
I'm getting the idea that you're just trying to distract from the fact that you don't have a valid argument.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 PM   #40
ArtificialOne

I agree. And I hate the climate change topic becuase it has been put into the realm of cults, fringe politics etc.

I love Tekken. I hadn't had a game station in almost 10 yrs.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 01-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #41
ArtificialOne

I already made my point. There's nothing we can really do about it(if it exists). There's to many variables to account for. Ever spill ball bearings? It's kind of like a thousand bbs running in a thousand directions. Sure I get your point, doing something is better than nothing. Ok, makes you feel warm and fuzzy, but it's kind of like putting out thermite with a squirt gun once ignited.

My other point is this. This...group.. or net or whatever.. just keeps my boredom at bay. It's fun. I don't get excited or riled up over it. Think of it as mental floss. Better than watching basic cable.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 01-31-2009, 04:27 AM   #42
JCC

Quote:
Pay attention: Even after everything stops. cold. It would take 300yrs to make a difference in anything we changed. OK, that means even if we were to stop everything. Right now. It would take 300yrs for the earth to return to whatever normal is.
Evidently, the only valid action would be to encourage making things worse rather than commencing the 300 year healing process.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:56 AM   #43
menus era sota

[quote=AshtrayKitten]----------
As always, I come to educate well-meaning but uninformed youths about the world they inhabit. Do you wish to revise the assertion that everything in my initial post, aside from that statement, is false?

You will hurt yourself jumping to conclusions, young man!
/QUOTE]

who the fuck do you think you are? stop pretending to be so wise and intellectually superior. anyone can copy paste web pages - "young man" ? you sound like a 14 yearold trying to impersonate a weird 90 year old.

besides, ignoring the whole climate control thing, pollution. we need to watch that anyway.
menus era sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:24 AM   #44
Albert Mond

Smile

Didn't you know, Menus? Rule#1 to being a Neo-Con is that you think you're older than you actually are. Anyone remember this?
Here's a line from the article:
Quote:
"He did express that frustration, that the liberal movement was getting more jobs," Owen said. "And he felt like he was being kept out of the loop because of his age."
His two victims were both older than him.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #45
ThreeEyesOni

Ugh...

Some of the posts in this thread just make me want to exit out of the whole thing. Posts on both sides of the "debate". What the fuck is wrong with some of you? Did your capacity to process logic and your capacity to fling shit at each other somehow get crossed? Drugs in the water?

There are two very clear aspects of this issue. The first is "human beings have and still do effect the environment in significant ways". Hell, if you want an example of that just look at silver; the industrial revolution shifted the sulfur content of the atmosphere enough to increase the rate that silver tarnishes. That wasn't even a terribly large shift in the content as compared to natural disasters in the past, but it should be kept in mind that a more drastic shift is theorized to have caused mass planetary extinctions in the past.

The second aspect is "most people have only enough of a grasp of the science involved to only get things drastically wrong." Al Gore is a prime example of one of these guys; he has just enough of a grasp of the science involved to make semi-correct statements that at the same time make him come off like he's certified retarded. The issues of climate change are terribly complex, not the least of reasons due to the fact that it will happen regardless of our existence. Factoring our own actions into it is like...

...well, it's like factoring in the results of a butterfly's wings in an environment laced with butterfly-wing-pattern sensors. You can know that the butterfly is indeed causing differences in the results, but extrapolating those differences too far into the past or future is pretty much impossible on levels that don't make the average brain want to crawl up and die.

Our impact on; and frankly "damage to"; the environment and specifically in the realm of temperature change is there, but making solid conclusions as to it enters into the realm of damn near impossible. Personally I think that knowing that things we are doing can lethally fuck up the planet should be enough reason to be finding ways to minimize it, especially since we currently lack the technology to reverse the results at anything more than a small percentage of the rate they have happened.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #46
menus era sota

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
U
Personally I think that knowing that things we are doing can lethally fuck up the planet should be enough reason to be finding ways to minimize it, especially since we currently lack the technology to reverse the results at anything more than a small percentage of the rate they have happened.

yes thankyou. pretty much my point so whoever started this threat *adequate shit-slinging phrase*

or would you rather explain to the people literally dieing and choking from smog that they're a bunch of retards hopping on the cult band wagon?
that's gonna go down a treat.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #47
Mealla

I am not an expert on this issue. I have no degree relating to this matter. I have heard a number of things on both sides of the issue, many of which have been covered here. I have heard arguments that global warming is happening, I've heard that the instruments monitoring temperature are often placed in locations warmer than normal, such as over airfields where heat from airplanes taking off interfere with measurements. I've heard that polar bears are dying, then I hear that the glaciers in Alaska actually grew this year. We have received record snowfalls this year, but I've heard arguments that it's due to weather patterns changing due to climate change, or that it's increased moisture in the air from the great lakes not freezing over. Some say global warming is occurring due to CO2, others say it is due to sunspot activity or other factors.

In the 70s, the environmental movement was screaming "global cooling." In the 80s and 90s, it became "global warming." After 2000, it is still referred to as "global warming" or now "climate change." I have to date not seen an unbiased study on climate change. Every single "study" or documentary I've seen is either politically motivated (such as Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth) or commercially motivated (see studies funded by big oil). The environmental movement in and of itself has become a huge money-making machine full of as much rhetoric as its purported enemies. There is also a lot of hypocrisy I have read about on the part of spokespeople for the environmental movement. If they want to lead the world into a new, more environmentally friendly era, they should be leading by example.

But, all things considered, whether or not CO2 causes global warming, whether or not political entities are using rhetoric to control us or make money off of us, just think about it. It can't be a good thing to pump all kinds of junk in the atmosphere. There are cities where smog or chemical residues in the air from factories and such pose a health hazard to both the environment and to people. I used to live in Louisiana, and I strongly suspect the high cancer rate there is caused at least in part by pollution from the nearby factories. There is even a stretch along the river between Baton Rouge and New Orleans that has the nickname "cancer alley" because of all the factories and the accompanying stink and pollution. It's common sense that it's not a good thing to pump chemicals into the air, regardless of whether it's causing climate change or not.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #48
menus era sota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla

But, all things considered, whether or not CO2 causes global warming, whether or not political entities are using rhetoric to control us or make money off of us, just think about it. It can't be a good thing to pump all kinds of junk in the atmosphere. There are cities where smog or chemical residues in the air from factories and such pose a health hazard to both the environment and to people. I used to live in Louisiana, and I strongly suspect the high cancer rate there is caused at least in part by pollution from the nearby factories. There is even a stretch along the river between Baton Rouge and New Orleans that has the nickname "cancer alley" because of all the factories and the accompanying stink and pollution. It's common sense that it's not a good thing to pump chemicals into the air, regardless of whether it's causing climate change or not.

i live in a town where most people can't even entertain the idea of not using shit loads of lawn fertilizer...funnily enough, abnormally large concentration of cancer cases too.
so let's all keep it clean - yes?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #49
Zavulon

Ashtray Kitten and Artificial One=dumbest babies ever

and lets just drop a lot of H-bombs and get it over with anyhow...
Zavulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #50
ThreeEyesOni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavulon
Ashtray Kitten and Artificial One=dumbest babies ever

and lets just drop a lot of H-bombs and get it over with anyhow...
Then I would at least get to survive in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, and I'm fine with that really.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote