Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this 'ban'?
It's understandable 16 8.56%
It's B.S.! (that's what I have to say about it anyway..) 140 74.87%
Don't really care.. 31 16.58%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #326
Fae-wolf

My college professor loves the way I dress, she thinks it's cute!

Though, teacher's here in my schools could care less how you dressed so long as you got good grades.
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #327
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fae-wolf View Post
could care less
I hate this phrase. Of all of the things that you American dogs have done to butcher our great tongue, the worst crime of all is the ridiculous modification of the entirely functional phrase: "couldn't care less". The phrase "couldn't care less" implies a complete lack of care towards the subject of the phrase, it is a brilliant, powerful statement of apathy. "Could care less", on the other hand, is fucking stupid. Obviously, if you could care less, you do care, which means that every sentence where an American says "could care less", they actually mean, "couldn't care less", which is rather the equivalent of saying "black" every time you mean "white" just to be a confusing prick.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #328
Tam Li Hua

JCC: Yeah, that annoys me too.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #329
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
In nearly every workplace, you can't dress however you like. School should prepare you for that.
In nearly every workplace, you will need to be smart enough to obey orders, but not smart enough to question them.
Do you agree then that schools are great because they know teach compliance rather than the pursuit of knowledge?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #330
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I hate this phrase. Of all of the things that you American dogs have done to butcher our great tongue, the worst crime of all is the ridiculous modification of the entirely functional phrase: "couldn't care less". The phrase "couldn't care less" implies a complete lack of care towards the subject of the phrase, it is a brilliant, powerful statement of apathy. "Could care less", on the other hand, is fucking stupid. Obviously, if you could care less, you do care, which means that every sentence where an American says "could care less", they actually mean, "couldn't care less", which is rather the equivalent of saying "black" every time you mean "white" just to be a confusing prick.
Let me sketch it out in black and black for you, limey: I could care less what you think.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #331
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Let me sketch it out in black and black for you, limey: I could care less what you think.
I will box your black ass over this, I'm Jake LaMotta and you're that pretty-faced jobber that I clobber.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #332
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
In nearly every workplace, you will need to be smart enough to obey orders, but not smart enough to question them.
Do you agree then that schools are great because they know teach compliance rather than the pursuit of knowledge?
No, and honestly, mine didn't. Clothing isn't that fucking important, and it's ridiculous to say that you're being taught not to question rules by not being allowed to wear chains and spikes.

I highly doubt most schools would have a problem with a student dressing goth so long as it was tasteful, not distracting, and not dangerous.

Also, even if you were taught to obey rules, that doesn't mean you think you have to, or that you don't know the difference between stupid rules you obey anyway to make things smoother, and rules that are truly unjust and should be ignored or fought against.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #333
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
I feel your pain... and I have to live over here.. -_-

Not to mention my annoyance with people using the word "Irregardless."

Our school never made any ban towards trench coats, chains, etc... once in awhile if it was cold enough I'd wear my long coat and boots. No one thought it was out of the ordinary, the theater kids wore wacky shit all the time anyways, so I guess our school really didn't care.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #334
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
No, and honestly, mine didn't. Clothing isn't that fucking important, and it's ridiculous to say that you're being taught not to question rules by not being allowed to wear chains and spikes.

I highly doubt most schools would have a problem with a student dressing goth so long as it was tasteful, not distracting, and not dangerous.

Also, even if you were taught to obey rules, that doesn't mean you think you have to, or that you don't know the difference between stupid rules you obey anyway to make things smoother, and rules that are truly unjust and should be ignored or fought against.
Quoted for Truth.

Besides, if you don't want an office job, there's no rule saying you -have- to get one; there's plenty of work out there for more eccentric folks who don't like the idea of doing the 9 to 5 grind. And, even if you have to do the Grind for a while, you can probably still slip some corporate Goth style into your attire, which I do all the time. =)
Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #335
Godslayer Jillian

So you two choose when to generalize and when not to, huh?
American schools are designed to make students compliant. Memorization rather than critical inquiry.
Most jobs want this.
So "in nearly every workplace, you can't dress however you like. School should prepare you for that"
In nearly every workplace, you are required basic understanding and total compliance, nothing more. But yet schools shouldn't prepare you for that because there's a minority of jobs that don't require this, just as there's a minority of jobs that let people dress as they want?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #336
Underwater Ophelia

...I really don't see the problem.
If schools train you to be compliant, and you're too stupid not to be, how is that the school's problem?
And what the fuck does that have to do with what you wear?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #337
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
If schools train you to be compliant, and you're too stupid not to be, how is that the school's problem?
Does that even mean anything?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #338
Tam Li Hua

Jillian: Different jobs require different dress codes. Not all office jobs require the same level of professional style. Thus, it would be sort of a difficult thing to teach in school.

Not only that, but jobs that are -not- office jobs may require completely different attire.

As for critical inquiry and memorization, I just don't think that learning Algebraic formulas in Math or doing exercise in P. E. would require that much critical inquiry, unless you were just bored and wanted to suggest something different to the teacher.

Seriously, none of this is quite the serious and detrimental horror that you are imagining.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #339
Underwater Ophelia

Look, I'm not defending my stance of "schools shouldn't allow kids to wear anything they want" anymore, because you're a moron if you disagree.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #340
Godslayer Jillian

And you're an idiot if you believe that's the implication of "In nearly every workplace, you can't dress however you like. School should prepare you for that."

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #341
Godslayer Jillian

Hell, you'd be an idiot if you think I disagree with "schools shouldn't allow kids to wear anything they want"

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 03-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #342
Mr E Nigma

Yeah, honestly from the outside it seemed a bit like you were both arguing the same side to eachother...
Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #343
JCC

Schools should let us wear anything that we want; this will prepare us for asking our employers why we have to dress a certain way to do an office job.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #344
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
I'm glad it bothers you too.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #345
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Schools should let us wear anything that we want; this will prepare us for asking our employers why we have to dress a certain way to do an office job.
You shouldn't be allowed to wear anything you want.

Someone is PAYING you to do something.
You're certainly allowed to not like it.
Then quit, and find work somewhere else.

No one is forcing you to take any specific job. If you want to be able to have a pink mohawk and ten inch spikes coming out of your pants, then you are 100% free to find a job where that's acceptable.

At school, there are very good reasons why you can't dress that way. It IS distracting to some kids, and it is dangerous. The school is liable for your safety, and even if you aren't planning on puncturing a kid's neck with your spiked collar, you could fall down the stairs and kill yourself. That would be on the school.
They shouldn't have to pay your parents in a lawsuit because you couldn't wait until 3PM to put you spiked collar on.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #346
Godslayer Jillian

Wait, so you agree that no one forces someone to take a job they don't want due to dress codes, so you agree that those people should be forced into a dress code beforehand?

You really can't see what I'm arguing here? Your opinions make no sense.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #347
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
At school, there are very good reasons why you can't dress that way. It IS distracting to some kids, and it is dangerous. The school is liable for your safety, and even if you aren't planning on puncturing a kid's neck with your spiked collar, you could fall down the stairs and kill yourself. That would be on the school.
They shouldn't have to pay your parents in a lawsuit because you couldn't wait until 3PM to put you spiked collar on.
You know, metal spikes and other potentially dangerous stuff I get, but surely if someone finds the sight of a pink mohawk (for example) SO distracting that it actually interferes with their learning...... they should be in a school for ADD kids anyway. As you've pointed out, your boss has a right to ask that you dress a certain way because they pay you (that's a whole 'nother argument I can't be assed to get into), but kids are not paid to attend school - in fact they're forced to. The banning of outfits for any reason other than reasonable grounds to speculate that it contains something dangerous is simply control for control's sake. As someone who thinks fashion is retarded anyway and agrees that no, what you wear ISN'T really that important, I nonetheless don't understand why you have no problem whatsoever with this.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #348
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
Wait, so you agree that no one forces someone to take a job they don't want due to dress codes, so you agree that those people should be forced into a dress code beforehand?

You really can't see what I'm arguing here? Your opinions make no sense.
Yes they do.
You aren't forced into taking a job where there is a dress code.
However, nearly all decent paying (traditional, and not including tattoo artist or rock star) jobs will require one.
So it makes sense that you should get used to the fact that you can't always get what you want.

However, if it's THAT fucking important to be able to dress outlandishly at work, there are jobs that will accept that.

What about that doesn't make sense?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #349
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
You know, metal spikes and other potentially dangerous stuff I get, but surely if someone finds the sight of a pink mohawk (for example) SO distracting that it actually interferes with their learning...... they should be in a school for ADD kids anyway. As you've pointed out, your boss has a right to ask that you dress a certain way because they pay you (that's a whole 'nother argument I can't be assed to get into), but kids are not paid to attend school - in fact they're forced to. The banning of outfits for any reason other than reasonable grounds to speculate that it contains something dangerous is simply control for control's sake. As someone who thinks fashion is retarded anyway and agrees that no, what you wear ISN'T really that important, I nonetheless don't understand why you have no problem whatsoever with this.
I do agree that if someone is that distracted then they should be in a special school, but those schools cost money, and lots of it.

Even if someone has the money for it, everyone in this country is guaranteed a free education (sort of, but that's for a different thread), and it's pretty fucked up to deny that right because some asshole wants a pink mohawk.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 AM   #350
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Yes they do.
You aren't forced into taking a job where there is a dress code.
However, nearly all decent paying (traditional, and not including tattoo artist or rock star) jobs will require one.
So it makes sense that you should get used to the fact that you can't always get what you want.

However, if it's THAT fucking important to be able to dress outlandishly at work, there are jobs that will accept that.

What about that doesn't make sense?
The fact that, by your own logic, if you really want school to mirror the job world, then they should be teaching them to be responsible for what they wear. Instead, you agree that students shouldn't be given any option in the matter at all.
How does that follow?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote: