Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #51
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Attack
Well it depends what you believe. Some believe that Buddhism is NOT a religion. It’s just personal choice really. Just because YOU'RE a Buddhist, and you believe it's a religion, does not mean it IS a religion. That's just your personal belief. There are many Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike that believe that it is not a religion.
1 a: the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

We have the supernatural, the Ultimate reality, gods, goddesses and bodhisattvas. Why aren't we a religion?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #52
Ms.Crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I'm still waiting for her explanation of "Buddism", and "Judism".

Sorry.
I was being yelled at again.
Buddism is a very peaceful belief. Methinks, anyway. It's been a while since I looked at the religion.
Oh, shit. I realised that I spelled it wrong.
Shit. I meant Judaism. Sorry. Basically (and this is a rough description) it's what Jews follow. I can't remember for the life of me exactly what it's to do with because it been nearly 4 years since I last looked at a Major religion. Meh. I need to look over my notes. If I can find the bloody things.....
Ms.Crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #53
Bat Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya

We have the supernatural, the Ultimate reality, gods, goddesses and bodhisattvas. Why aren't we a religion?
I'M NOT SAYING THAT BUDDHISM IS NOT A RELIGION!!! I'm just saying that some Buddhists as well as non-Buddhists believe that is it not a religion. Therefore you cannot dictate that it is. However, you are liable to have your own BELIEF that it is religion. That is YOUR belief however, and may not be what is true or believed by others, as THEIR beliefs are true to THEM, and YOUR beliefs are TRUE to you. Do you get what I mean???

I’m not arguing whether Buddhism is a religion or not, I really don’t give a shit whether it is or isn‘t, it really doesn’t affect me. I’m just saying that different people have different opinions and beliefs. And what YOU believe is not necessarily what others believe, or what is true.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #54
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Crowbar
I don't have any money, that's why.
A problem easily solved by:

-- Getting a Job.

-- Selling stuff that you have for cash.

Quote:
Rent is expensive, and I can't afford a house.
Perhaps not now, but if you save up, then you may at least be able to share an apartment with someone.

Quote:
I'm unemployed because I have no previous work experience (Basically, if I want a job, then I'll have to apply to be a Summer or Christmas temp. Being a temp gives me a better chance of getting a job).
So.....you -can- get a job, but you aren't going to. Got it.

Quote:
And, yeah, because I don't live in Dundee, I can't get a Library card and therefore can't use the Library.
Then use the Internet. I'm sure that someone, somewhere has put the entire Satanic Bible online.

Quote:
So, I kind of have no choice.
Believe me. If I could leave, I would.
You -do- have a choice. Granted, it may take you actually doing some...you know...work...but you DO have a choice.

If you stay, you have only yourself to blame. :/
Old 12-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #55
Saya

Quote:
I'M NOT SAYING THAT BUDDHISM IS NOT A RELIGION!!! I'm just saying that some Buddhists as well as non-Buddhists believe that is it not a religion. Therefore you cannot dictate that it is. However, you are liable to have your own BELIEF that it is religion. That is YOUR belief however, and may not be what is true or believed by others, as THEIR beliefs are true to THEM, and YOUR beliefs are TRUE to you. Do you get what I mean???

I’m not arguing whether Buddhism is a religion or not, I really don’t give a shit whether it is or isn‘t, it really doesn’t affect me. I’m just saying that different people have different opinions and beliefs. And what YOU believe is not necessarily what others believe, or what is true.
Of course its true since religion is a definition and Buddhism is widely and officially recognized as one. Its not subjective. If someone said "Christianity isn't a religion!" Would you just say "Well thats your belief" and not think "Ooooookay?!!!"
Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #56
Tam Li Hua

About Buddhism: It's a religion. An atheistic one, granted, but still a religion.

Ms.Crowbar: Out of curiosity, I looked it up.

Lo and behold, it -is- online! XD
Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #57
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Sorry.
I was being yelled at again.
Buddism is a very peaceful belief. Methinks, anyway. It's been a while since I looked at the religion.
Oh, shit. I realised that I spelled it wrong.
Shit. I meant Judaism. Sorry. Basically (and this is a rough description) it's what Jews follow. I can't remember for the life of me exactly what it's to do with because it been nearly 4 years since I last looked at a Major religion. Meh. I need to look over my notes. If I can find the bloody things.....
I was making fun of your inability to spell the names of religions you've allegedly studied.
However, your attempt to explain those two doctrines was an utterly laughable failure. That you were not too ashamed to post that message is astounding to me.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #58
Godslayer Jillian

Oh god, where do I begin?

Quote:
I meant Judaism. Sorry. Basically (and this is a rough description) it's what Jews follow.
Someone should make that into a poster. A picture of Moses parting the seas with his rolex watch, and the caption reads
JUDAISM
It's what Jews follow

Quote:
My parents have just found my Satanic Bible and are screaming "Devil Worship!"
My parents have just found my dildo and my playgirl magazine and are asking me if I'm gay. HOW IGNORANT OF THEIR PART TO TRY TO MAKE A PATTERN OUT OF PERFECTLY LOGICAL ASSUMPTIONS!!!!

Quote:
For fuck sakes, Satanism isn't even Devil worship. Luciferianism is when you worship the Devil, isn't it?
But they're being so ignorant.
Why are you reading the satanic bible?
Oh, that's right, to learn about religions. Yet you condemn someone for not knowing a 'religion' that can't possibly have more than a thousand followers?
Are you an idiot or a hypocrite?

Quote:
Uh, lemme see. Oh yeah.
I don't have any money, that's why.
Rent is expensive, and I can't afford a house.
I'm unemployed because I have no previous work experience (Basically, if I want a job, then I'll have to apply to be a Summer or Christmas temp. Being a temp gives me a better chance of getting a job).
And, yeah, because I don't live in Dundee, I can't get a Library card and therefore can't use the Library. So, I kind of have no choice.
Believe me. If I could leave, I would.
Translation:
I am so useless if I were to live on my own, that my parents still grace me with enough love to allow me to live at their expense. I don't even know of ways to get a hold of a book that won't disturb them, that's how defenseless I am to the real world!
That's why they're assholes. I'm mooching off them and they have the nerve to tell me what to do.
But do not worry, as soon as I stop needing them I'll turn my back on them

EDIT: And Gothicus is right.
You mentioned Asatru but not Shinto nor Jainism nor Zoroastrianism nor Bahá'í
That proves that you really don't know jack shit of religion compared to what you pretend to know.
Admit it, your reading the Satanic Bible goes beyond simple knowledge of religions.
It is that you're curious; that much you said and that much is right. But it's not because you're in an endless search for the purpose of religion and you just happen to have ended all other major faiths and now turn to satanism.
You're reading it either because you think it's cool, or you think it's taboo.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #59
Bat Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Of course its true since religion is a definition and Buddhism is widely and officially recognized as one. Its not subjective. If someone said "Christianity isn't a religion!" Would you just say "Well thats your belief" and not think "Ooooookay?!!!"
No, that’s an invalid comparison. Since there is actually a recognized argument, as to whether Buddhism is a religion or not, whereas with Christianity there isn’t. I do hope you’re not trying to imply that I am being biased, as I have no reason to be. The comparison however, that you CAN make is this:
If someone said they believe in God, does that mean that God does exist? The answer is - not necessarily. Because that is only the belief of that person and not everyone else. You say that Buddhism is OFFICIALLY recognized as a religion? In that case, prove it. If it is, then it should be possible to prove it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
[color=red]About Buddhism: It's a religion. An atheistic one, granted, but still a religion.
THE ARGUMENT IS NOT AS TO WHETHER BUDDHISM IS A RELIGION OR NOT!!! As I said before. And neither do I wish to argue that.

And Saya, please answer this:
What would you say to a Buddhist who believed that Buddhism was not a religion?
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #60
Godslayer Jillian

DOUBLE POST:

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, the more you red the list of 'religions' you said the more I'm getting pissed at you!

You didn't even mention Islam!
You mentioned (and misspelled) Buddhism and Judaism, and then of course mentioned Christianity, and then you went on to bullshit beliefs, even going so far into separating witchcraft from wicca?
Doing that but not even remembering Islam tells me that you're really not trying to be a scholar on religions. You're just another of endless teenagers that look into the most stupidly obscure beliefs because it makes you come.
Why the fuck would you mention angelology (which isn't even a fucking religion) and not Zen?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #61
Saya

Quote:
No, that’s an invalid comparison. Since there is actually a recognized argument, as to whether Buddhism is a religion or not, whereas with Christianity there isn’t. I do hope you’re not trying to imply that I am being biased, as I have no reason to be. The comparison however, that you CAN make is this:
If someone said they believe in God, does that mean that God does exist? The answer is - not necessarily. Because that is only the belief of that person and not everyone else. You say that Buddhism is OFFICIALLY recognized as a religion? In that case, prove it. If it is, then it should be possible to prove it.

THE ARGUMENT IS NOT AS TO WHETHER BUDDHISM IS A RELIGION OR NOT!!! As I said before. And neither do I wish to argue that.

And Saya, please answer this:
What would you say to a Buddhist who believed that Buddhism was not a religion?
Buddhism has everything Christianity has, except it is chosen not to define God so narrowly. Its a valid argument.

Since Buddhism is given religious status and given the same tax breaks as other religious institutions, its officially recognized as a religion. A Buddhist temple has all the rights and recognition as a Christian church.

If a Buddhist says Buddhism is not a religion, I'd think either they aren't very educated about their own religion, or they are clinging to their athiesm and do not want to be associated with religion. They aren't seeing it objectively.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #62
DRM

Ugh, I hate it when people get Satanism confused with Devil Worship, it's annoying. ANd the fact that they wont let you explain is stupid!
My mom used to pull that crap with me.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #63
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Really?
Okay.
Buddism.
Christianity.
Judism.
Witchcraft.
Wicca.
Chaos Magick.
Asatru (Or Odinism. They're both close to one another).
Angelology.

Those are just a few that I've looked at. We looked at some that aren't even main religions. Including the religion of the Jedi.
I like how you fuck up the spellings of established religions and yet toss in the concept of the frickin' Jedi, which is a fictional one at that, as if it has any basis in reality. Cute. :P

But really, you should be hurrying up with having an actual job, a license if you haven't got it already and backup plans for housing if you doggedly insist on keeping up with a religion/philosophy you obviously barely skimmed over.

Seriously, that Jedi shit was incredibly disgraceful on your part and I must ask you to sit and spin with the quickness.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:27 AM   #64
jack_the_knife

Humanism, Mormonism, Quakerism, Rastafari, Sikhism, Samaritanism. I seriously doubt that you've looked at even remotely half of them.

P.S: On the note of the Jedi Religion, why is it different to other religions? If you can base a religion on a book you can base one a cinematographic series.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:10 AM   #65
Alarica

Quote:
I'm already hiding my Altar and all my books about Witchcraft from them. There's no where to hide the book where my Mum won't find it. I'd already hidden it right at the back of one of my drawers and somehow, Mum found it.
I'm sorry, but this made me piss myself laughing.

If you can hide an entire altar but not a book, you are either very stupid or have no idea what you are doing. Your altar should be far more difficult to hide.

Witchcraft isnt a religion, its practiced within one.

And if you are 19 and still living with your parents, you should respect their home. Get rid of the book, hide it better (maybe with the altar) or move out!
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #66
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM
Ugh, I hate it when people get Satanism confused with Devil Worship, it's annoying. ANd the fact that they wont let you explain is stupid!
My mom used to pull that crap with me.
Well, considering that they sound so similar, I don't see why it's so amazing that they are easily confused...

Like I said, I'd be more sympathetic if the OP wasn't capable of getting out of said situation.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #67
kimaru

I find this whole situation somewhat foolish...you're saying you'd rather get kicked out than get rid of a book that you were merely "curious" about. Just get rid of the book...perhaps when your parents have calmed, you'll have a better chance to explain yourself...
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #68
Ms.Crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
A problem easily solved by:

-- Getting a Job.

-- Selling stuff that you have for cash.

Perhaps not now, but if you save up, then you may at least be able to share an apartment with someone.

So.....you -can- get a job, but you aren't going to. Got it.

Then use the Internet. I'm sure that someone, somewhere has put the entire Satanic Bible online.

You -do- have a choice. Granted, it may take you actually doing some...you know...work...but you DO have a choice.

If you stay, you have only yourself to blame. :/
No, I can't get a job. I already told you.
I've applied to 7 different stores in Dundee and five different stores in St. Andrews. Not one of them has gotten back to me about an interview. I've been waiting for atleast one to get back to me. I've been waiting since June to get an interview.
I told you. It's because I don't have work experience.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #69
Alarica

Quote:
I've applied to 7 different stores in Dundee and five different stores in St. Andrews. Not one of them has gotten back to me about an interview. I've been waiting for atleast one to get back to me. I've been waiting since June to get an interview.

Did you not think it was rather odd you hadnt been called for an interview after a month of waiting? Do voluntary work in a charity shop. I do suggest you take the good advice you have been given here re the copy of the satanic bible though.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #70
Ms.Crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
DOUBLE POST:

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, the more you red the list of 'religions' you said the more I'm getting pissed at you!

You didn't even mention Islam!
You mentioned (and misspelled) Buddhism and Judaism, and then of course mentioned Christianity, and then you went on to bullshit beliefs, even going so far into separating witchcraft from wicca?
Doing that but not even remembering Islam tells me that you're really not trying to be a scholar on religions. You're just another of endless teenagers that look into the most stupidly obscure beliefs because it makes you come.
Why the fuck would you mention angelology (which isn't even a fucking religion) and not Zen?
Wicca and Witchcraft are different.
Witchcraft is centuries older than Wicca, and it believes in different dieties.
In Wicca, there is a set way of doing everything. Wicca is something which is passed down from generation to generation. They do Rituals differently to Witches. They're more into their Earth Magick and celebrating Beltane by doing a skyclad ritual. I know this because I was once part of a Wiccan Coven. Basically, Wicca is a more closed off thing.
Witchcraft, however, is more open. You don't have to do everything that the book says.
Hell, I'm still training. Next year in September, I'll be doing my Initiation rite. I'll be symbolically killed and will arise as a member of my Coven with my new name that is to only be used when I'm in the circle. I can't wait. It's a big step for a Witch, their Initiation rite.
Witchcraft is so different to Wicca, I bet you wouldn't even understand.

I mentioned Angelology because all religions believe in Angels, however different that religions perception of the Angels may be.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #71
Alarica

I have to ask, because I am amused and clearly very bored this evening. You have an altar, so I am naturally assuming you 'practice' witchcraft.

Which way do you lean with your craft?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #72
$haDe

Quote:
I'M NOT SAYING THAT BUDDHISM IS NOT A RELIGION!!! I'm just saying that some Buddhists as well as non-Buddhists believe that is it not a religion.
Non-Buddhist ????

How can people be non-buddhist ??
So that mean we have... Non-christian ?

It think it was too wide.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #73
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
First of all, you just said earlier you could get hired as a temp for Christmas work! Stores are DESPERATE for extra help during the holidays, so there's your work experience just waiting for you!

Second, that's just the way that job hunting goes, even if one has an education and all. But, the only way to actually get a job is to NOT GIVE UP!!!

It took my wonderful, talented now-husband 9 months of constant searching...filling out applications, going on interviews, and basically searching doggedly....to find a job. He finally got hired on with the state with an excellent job in his field [computers], but only because he didn't just sit back and say, "Oh well; them's the breaks."

All adults who live on their own or with their spouses away from the financial support of their families have to go to this process. It totally sucks, and isn't fun at all, but it's damned necessary if you actually want your independence and don't want to live under your parents your entire life.

But, if you don't want your independence and would rather stay at your parents without having to pay for rent, utilities, or your own food, then don't fucking complain when they go beserk over your so-called 'research'.

/end rant.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #74
korinna5555

Quote:
Wicca and Witchcraft are different.
Witchcraft is centuries older than Wicca, and it believes in different dieties.
In Wicca, there is a set way of doing everything. Wicca is something which is passed down from generation to generation. They do Rituals differently to Witches. They're more into their Earth Magick and celebrating Beltane by doing a skyclad ritual. I know this because I was once part of a Wiccan Coven. Basically, Wicca is a more closed off thing.
Witchcraft, however, is more open. You don't have to do everything that the book says.
Hell, I'm still training. Next year in September, I'll be doing my Initiation rite. I'll be symbolically killed and will arise as a member of my Coven with my new name that is to only be used when I'm in the circle. I can't wait. It's a big step for a Witch, their Initiation rite.
Um.. yes; witchcraft and Wicca are different, but not for the reasons you've mentioned.
Witchcraft is practicing magick. Wicca is a pagan religion/spiritual path. :/
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #75
Tam Li Hua

Ok, after that last rant, I've calmed down a bit.

Quote:
First of all...how do you know this unless you try explaining it?

Second of all...I've always been curious to know exactly how witchcraft is supposed to help you out in daily life. Part of the reason I like Christianity is because of its practical applications: Don't steal, don't murder, love others, etc. and so on. Even Buddhism has some practical application where meditation and such are concerned...but I've never understood how witchcraft could help me in any practical way.* Could you clarify this for me?

[*It should be noted that I am not talking about Herbology or homeopathic medicine; I do not consider that part of witchcraft, since one does not have to be initiated into anything in order to use such medicinal aids.*]

Quote:
I mentioned Angelology because all religions believe in Angels, however different that religions perception of the Angels may be.
I would disagree with you on this, since the term 'Angel' is largely associated with the Christian concept; rather, it seems that you are referring to the idea of spirit guides in general rather than angels in particular. [Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.]