Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Family Welcomes 17th Child

http://news.**********/s/ap/20070803..._fe_st/17_kids

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - It's a girl — again — for the Duggars. Jim Bob and ******** Duggar welcomed their 17th child, and seventh daughter, into the world Thursday.

Jennifer Danielle was born at 10:01 a.m. at Saint Mary's Hospital in Rogers, Ark., the Duggars said in an interview. Jennifer weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces and arrived five days after ********'s due date.

Less than 30 minutes after giving birth, the Duggars already were talking of having more.

"We'd love to have more," ******** said, adding that the girls are outnumbered seven to 10 in the family. "We love the ruffles and lace."

Jennifer joins the fast-growing Duggar brood, who live in Tontitown in a 7,000-square-foot home. All the children — whose names start with the letter J — are home-schooled.

The oldest is 19 and the youngest, before Jennifer, is almost 2 years old.

"We are just so grateful to God for another gift from him," said Jim Bob Duggar, 42, a former state representative. "We are just so thankful to him that everything went just very well."

Jennifer joins siblings Joshua, 19; John David, 17; Janna, 17; Jill, 16; Jessa, 14; Jinger, 13; Joseph, 12; Josiah, 11; Joy-Anna, 9; Jedidiah, 8; Jeremiah, 8; Jason 7; James 6; Justin, 4; Jackson, 3; Johannah, almost 2.

The family includes two sets of twins.

******** Duggar said that Joshua, Janna, Jill and Jessa were at the hospital, but that the rest of the family planned to visit their new sister later Thursday.

******** Duggar said she started feeling contractions Wednesday night and went to the hospital at about 5 a.m. Thursday.

"It actually went fast," she said. "I guess once I started progressing, it went within 30 minutes."

Jennifer was born via a VBAC — or vaginal birth after Caesarean, Jim Bob Duggar said.

The Duggars have been featured on several programs on cable's Discovery Health Network. The next special, the Duggar Family Album, is scheduled to air next month, Jim Bob Duggar said.

Among the "fun facts" listed on Discovery Health's Web page devoted to the Duggars: A baby has been born in every month except June; the Duggars have gone through an estimated 90,000 diapers, and ********, 40, has been pregnant for 126 months — or 10.5 years — of her life.

*The starred out name is Mi.ch.elle. They wouldn't let me put it in.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Romantic Raven

Well, wow, as long as they have the time, money and nerves to raise them, good for them.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
chelseagirl

I think it's sad. I mean, there are so many children in that household, it would be impossible for the mother and father to give each child the love and attention they deserve. It would be sort of like living in a group foster home.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Lapin

I don't think the children mind. She probably has a "buddy-system" of sorts, where the eldest looks after the next-eldest and so on.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Saddiction

I'm sure they would love to have more kids. More kids = more publicity. I'm with chelseagirl on this one.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
October_Night

Can she stop having children now?
October_Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
badteccy

I wanna mail them some condoms.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
MollyMac

They are a part of the quiverfull protestant movement, and rather nice people. They are self supporting and taking care of their own and living as they choose. Let them have their happiness as long as it is of their own choosing and of their own hands. I may not agree with their philosophies, but I certainly cannot argue with their methods.

If they were on welfare or abusing the kids or if ******** was not doing this of her own will, that would be another story.

EDIT: Wow. The edit function took out Mrs. Duggar's name. May be a relic of the Exodus.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
Nitocris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
I think it's sad. I mean, there are so many children in that household, it would be impossible for the mother and father to give each child the love and attention they deserve. It would be sort of like living in a group foster home.
You basically said exactly what I was coming here to say.

They are basically using the older children to care for the younger children, and that is not right. These kids are going to have major issues when they grow up.
Nitocris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #10
MollyMac

Based on what? Yes the older kids HELP care for the younger; they all teach each other, and they all spend much time with their parents.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #11
Nitocris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
Based on what? Yes the older kids HELP care for the younger; they all teach each other, and they all spend much time with their parents.
It is physically impossible to give equal attention and emotional support to 17 kids at once. There isn't enough time in a day for it. These kids are all individuals, and need individual attention from their parents, not just attention as a group.

And I think they're going to have some issues because;
They had to fulfill a parental role early in life by caring for their younger siblings. I doubt they have any time for themselves at all.
They all dress identically, even in the candid photographs I've seen. While this is an excellent way to raise an army or bolster groupthinking mentality, it is a poor way to raise children.
The parents are are basically teaching their children, particularly their daughters, that their whole existence is to raise children. Not to elevate themselves as individuals, or create art, or help the human race, or even just enjoy life. Eventually they will each realize what their potentials in life are, what they want to do, and not all of them are going to say "Having babies", and they have been raised to feel opposition and shame about that fact. They are going to go through a lot of turmoil and I feel profoundly sorry for them, as I do all children who are raised in the quiverfull movement.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
MollyMac

As the older kids help with the younger, yes, the other kids do actually get individual attention. Mrs. Duggar homeschools, so they don't lose that 8-9 hoursa s most other families do. They don't waste time on TV. They play together and talk and goof around... a lot. They study together and build their faith together. They all, in all honesty get more mommy and daddy time than most two-kid households that I know of because their parents really give a damn.

No, Quiverfull is not what I agree with, but they are raising their kids with their values and as they see fit. Ultimately, the kids are allowed at 18 to move out and make their own decisions,. The daughters helped physically build the house as much as the son. The sons help cook also. The gender divide is not what you make it; it is just under their religious dictate. And if Mrs. Dugagr did not liek or agree, then this situation woult not have arisen.

Frankly as tehy are taking care of their own and not needing assistance, and the kids are VERY well cared for, I do not see why it is a national topic where everyone feels that they have a right to an opinion in how they raise their children. (Save the media attention that put them in the spotlight).
Old 08-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #13
Nitocris

I guess this is just something we'll have to disagree on. I just know I wouldn't want to be one of their kids.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
October_Night

I'd go insane if I was one of their children.
October_Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #15
MollyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitocris
I guess this is just something we'll have to disagree on. I just know I wouldn't want to be one of their kids.

Oh, no doubt. LOL!!!! They are genuinely nice people and I applaud any one who can live as they choose, by their own hands. My only concern is that they are raised in a group mentality (I was, as well, which I prefer to the Me, Me, Me narcissism of over-individuality) and that they may not be well adapted to some aspects of the less loving and group-centered world. Their dad does "censor" the news and worldly media; and I fear that they may not be well adjusted to some larger issues.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #16
psyches_reflection

I've seen a documentary about this family, and all things considered I think they're doing really well.

There are families in the UK (who are frequently highlighted in certain newspapers to make the middle-classes feel particularly smug) who have 10+ children and are basically scrounging off the state. They are jobless, provided with large houses for next to nothing and more money than your average working couple could only dream of. In the UK, it is more financially beneficial to quit your job, get a divorce and have as many children as you can than it is to work, get married and have a small family.

Whether the Duggars can provide enough individual attention to each child as they would like is for them to know. They are, however, providing for them in every material aspect by themselves through hard work and frugality. I find this admirable.

That said... I don't think it would harm them any to practice the rhythm method.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #17
Lapin

Hey, if they can afford that many kids and they honestly want them all out of love, then I say they can have as many as they want.

I want one kid, maybe two if I'm financially stable enough, but that's me. This woman seems to love kids.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #18
MollyMac

Even teh rhythm method is not practiced in the Quiverful(l) movement. No tbirth control is embraced whatsoever.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #19
Crying_Crimson_Tears

To me even my dad can't manage to have a job, be married, and give his equal attention to both my brother and I. I agree with Molly on this one, it's impossible to give equal attention to all kids. I think the older ones are probably depended on a lot.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

I think you guys are jerks for saying "they can't possibly take care of them all blah blah blah." Um, how would you know?

Maybe YOU couldn't handle it, but it's not fair to say that about someone else.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #21
MollyMac

Join me at the Open bar, Ophelia! Whoo hoo!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #22
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
Join me at the Open bar, Ophelia! Whoo hoo!!!
Are you sick of douchebags, too?

And I'll have some peach schnapps. Because I am a girlydrinkliker.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #23
MollyMac

Wow. Peach Schnapps? Reminds me of my cheerleader days. Oh, what the hell?!?!? Make me a fuzzy navel and I'll make you a car bomb.

(NOTE: A car bomb is a drink, I am not threatening anyone. I know how you douchebags are...

Second note; now, if the douchebag was full of schnapps...

eww.)
Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 AM   #24
ravenlynne1

I wouldn't want to be one of the kids, or the mom (pregnant for 10.5 years of her life holy crap) but it's their life to do with as they will, as long as it's not on the public dime.
ravenlynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #25
ravenlynne1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I think you guys are jerks for saying "they can't possibly take care of them all blah blah blah." Um, how would you know?

Maybe YOU couldn't handle it, but it's not fair to say that about someone else.
Exactly right.
ravenlynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote