Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
Nemesis

Prom, help with dresses

well its my prom next year-yer im starting early i know, but im going but i want an unusal n gothic dress or something different anyway, anybody got any good sites for either dresses or patterns tht i can make one from?
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
winged_dreams

Go peruse your local craft store to see if any patterns strike your eye or go to a place that sells prom dresses and check them out. Perhaps you could buy a check simple dress and add on spiffeh extras. Ebay should have plenty of patterns and dresses if you want to check there.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
MrMaelstrom

Just buy as used (2nd hand) wedding dress made with natural fibers (like cotton for example) and dye it black, purple or burgundy. I said natural fibers because they're the only ones that can be dyed.

Howzat?
MrMaelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Empty_Purple_Stars

Thats actually a good fucking idea Love God..

*Applause*
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
Sarkphagos

Well.... Ah I can't remember the pattern numbers I made mine out of... three different patterns. They were all simplicity tho: a basic long skirt, a 'prom' corset top I altered to lace in the back (as opposed to zip at the side) and a cape from black lace over it all (the cape pattern was advertised as edwardian/20's -ish)
Lets see if I can link to a picture:

Picture!!

Hopefully it will work. It's weird and not very 'promish' but it original. :smile:
My suggestion to you is to pick a pattern or patterns you like and mix or alter or combine. For instance: the corset top I had two different pattern and didn't quite like either of them, thus I combined both the parts I liked of the patterns into one. Its not that hard if you had any experiance sewing. Also, if you are not sure the pattern will fit you, make a mock up. Trust me, its a good idea.

I hope I was coherent there....
Sarkphagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
winged_dreams

I think's it pretty awesome. And you have very pretty hair! And putting together patterns that you like or modifing them is a good. Or heck, make a dress from stratch.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 AM   #7
Spazik

I was going to get my girlfriend to send me pictures of her prom dress (it was before she met me) but she went to sleep. I'll do it tomorrow if this thread's still kickin. I don't think she got it off the internet though. Did you try googling "Goth prom dresses"? I think theres actually a pretty big market for them. Mael's got the right idea too, if you want something foofy.
Spazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:43 AM   #8
Demonista_Ravenesque

Erm, I really dunno why...but I think it would be rather nice if you bought an unusual corset from a corsetry (think buckled corset) and you team them with a fishtail skirt, but I don't know whether you have a local corsetry so yeah...if you really plan on making your own stuff, take a gander at this fun site for some inspiration http://www.galleryserpentine.com/

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #9
Nemesis

Thnx for all the ideas, im going in town tomorrow to look at patterns, im gonna try persuade my dad to go to London to look in all the vintage stores n that, doubt ill get to go but...
Old 09-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #10
Raven SilverWolf

you could just type "goth dresses" in google or something of that type.Making it yourself is a good idea because if you mess up, you still have 2 years to find what you want...*happy grin*
Raven SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:10 AM   #11
sartain

Just an idea, but if you have a lot of time, then quite a while to save up, a Vivienne Westwood dress would be a great plan...they are very very different, can be worn in quite a few different ways and feel great on... sigh. selfridges probably won't let me in again, last time i just tried one on and spent half an hour looking at it in the changing room before bowing to the inevitability of my bank balance and not buying it.
sartain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:55 AM   #12
NoneSuch

Well theres this shop in reading called something like "mysterious Star" I'm not perfectly sure of the name but its something like that , Truly wonderful shop got myself some nice leather gloves there but there is tons and tons of corsets , dresses etc .
NoneSuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #13
Nemesis

yer, i love vivienne westwood stuff as well, but i cou;ld never afford any of it, im going to whitby in the new year tho,think id get a gothic style dress there?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:02 AM   #14
sartain

I've read about the Whitby weekender, it looks like it could be loads of fun! Weirdly enough I was reading about it in the Sunday Times magazine I think... Viv stuff can be uber expensive, agreed, but, if this isn't totally crass (apologies if so and you really don't have to say) how much were you thinking about? If it's around £200 you can get a dress, lower probably not. Although ebay has some of her stuff on, but I'm never sure how reliable the sizing/authenticity is. So maybe it's better if you wait til next year.... sorry, very vague message!
sartain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:15 AM   #15
goth_xx

well just rip up some fuhkin black bandanaz and sew them together...en walla
goth_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:00 PM   #16
Nemesis

the budget i have, well, my parents are being assholes about it and saying they'll only give me about £70, so its tht and whatever i can save up till then, and as i only earn £10 a week- i really dunno how much it'll be
Old 09-19-2005, 03:44 PM   #17
NoneSuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
the budget i have, well, my parents are being assholes about it and saying they'll only give me about £70, so its tht and whatever i can save up till then, and as i only earn £10 a week- i really dunno how much it'll be
Being bastards about it and only letting you have 70 pounds ? .. erm.... godamn what type of dress do you want here ?! 70 pounds is alot.. specially for something you wont use too often. I mean one of my good olde leather coats cost 100 - 200 + but I use those almost everyday
NoneSuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:45 AM   #18
goth_xx

my idea is better....it'z cheap and you'll be the only one with that type of dress..Maybe 70 pounds can buy you enough to make a matching scarf...lol Im sorry its sorta funny...Im glad i still have a year before prom...
goth_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:19 PM   #19
Sarkphagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
I would like to point out that I had to pay for my whole outfit as well as any other related expenses. My mum only payed for vital nessecities, like hardtack. You kids now days are spoiled.
Sarkphagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #20
Nemesis

well im not saying that i wouldn't buy a cheap dress but akll the ones that i like, are always really expensive, as in 200 pound range.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:02 PM   #21
dramaelf

I'm wearing my great-grandmothers dress, it's dark blue satin, really beautiful. It'll make me feel close to her, just like I wear my other great-grandma's ring.
dramaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:22 PM   #22
dramaelf

By the way, I've always gone for the elegant old look. Just my opinion, but I always foung that more gothic.
dramaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:24 PM   #23
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
Halloween is an excellent time to go to the ocal sewing shop (or wal-mart) and look at formal dress patterns.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #24
cyberJade

You have very nice long blonde hair. I'm very jealous...
cyberJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:44 AM   #25
Nemesis

I havent had alot of luck yet, theres a gothic wedding dress in here for £100, and i should be going to London this november and whitby nest year sometime. but i dunno