Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:30 PM   #76
mrs.wes straker

Are you really Spright? I WANNA KNOW!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #77
mrs.wes straker

You are retarded, and fun to abuse. *grins* So, if you're Spright, you are smart, even though you're a wanker. You should stop typing like that. It drives me mad!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 PM   #78
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopie
Isn't that a contradiction? How can one be retarded, and smart? Forgive me, but that's not only addling, that's stupid.
Shut up, already. Am I not allowed to write how I speak, sometimes? When I call people retarded, I am telling them they make me laugh.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:59 PM   #79
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
Retarded is a very offensive word to me...I went to a school that had a lot of people with autism, and aspergers, and they were challenged mentally. Calling a person a retard was not a nice thing to do...
I'm very sorry.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #80
maggot

Autistic kids are smart, but retarded.

Before you flame me, I'm autistic.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #81
mrs.wes straker

All retarded means is slowed in progress. I use it jokingly, more than anything.

To retard--to slow down--for example, flame retardant clothing would be used for is to prevent the rapid spread of the flame.

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. But then again, I seem to offend people a lot. I'm kind of oblivious.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #82
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
I know, but the word gay is used incorrectly too, and disparagingly. There is NOTHING wrong with being autistic.
Aha, but I wasn't using it disparagingly. So why are you still mad? How can there be anything wrong with being autistic if one can't help that they are?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:12 PM   #83
mrs.wes straker

Of course there is. So, I think we're talking about two different things now. Out of curiosity, how old are you?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #84
mrs.wes straker

I guess I wanted to know for my own analyze-away purposes.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:45 AM   #85
KontanKarite

You know what? I think Bloopie, Spright, and Vyvian Blackthorn is the same person. This could or could not be a bad thing.

Bloopie just seems to be displaying similar traits as Vyvian... only not as funny.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:53 AM   #86
Lykaios

Quote:
I gotta get around to reading the rest of it...I also respect Ralph Waldo Emerson. :P
It's a wonderful essay. Emerson, and his student Thoreau, are two men that I definitely respect. Especially Thoreau, as he was once called the "Great American Anarchist". If you read Civil Disobedience, it's obvious why.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:33 AM   #87
Lykaios

Quote:
Yeah, I gotta get around to reading that too. XD I have the damn essay on my computer, but I never feel up to reading Emerson's essay...the way he writes is just...it's over-complicated at times. I often read philosophical arguments, and I do grasp it, it just is stretched out to the point you can see every little vein and blood vessel. They leave NOTHING unsaid about their topic. They don't even leave it up to the reader to decide. They always write complete and unambiguously.
I'm obsessed with philosophy. Truly obsessed. My main two passions in life are English and Philosophy, and I know quite a bit about both. From Aristotle to Xavier Zubiri, my bookshelves of philosophical texts do range. I love the way Emerson and various other philosophers write. You can't just skim over their writing, most of the time. You actually have to sit down and read it in full. I like the over-complicated style, though I'd argue it's merely complicated, not over-complicated. Now that I think of it, I suppose my love of English could very well play a part in why I have little difficulty feeling "up to reading" philosophical texts and essays.

Do take a closer look at his stuff when you have the time. It's quite pleasant to read.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:56 AM   #88
Lykaios

Quote:
What writers do you like outside of philosophy? I'm a poetry person myself...since poetry is harder to write than prose. Even though everyone hates poetry now unless it's performed, or some artistic thing flows around in the background of the tale.

I feel that movies are going to be the new 'art' of the 25th century child's art history course. :P
I love poetry, but as I prefer to write prose, naturally I prefer to read it as well. I have written, and do read, a lot of poetry, though. La Divina Comedia, specifically, holds a special place in my heart.

I'm a fan of classic literature. My two favorite authors are James Joyce and William Faulkner. Stylistically, they're very different from each other, but I find them both to be literary genius. I hope to one day write something worthy of sitting next to Finnegan's Wake and Absalom! Absalom! on somebody's bookshelf.

I could list off authors all day, but that's very time consuming, and I wouldn't be satisfied until I listed off every last one of them. I blame my OCPD for that.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:30 AM   #89
Lykaios

Quote:
Have you written anything lately? Post it up in the literature section; I'd like to give it a perusal.

Also, I do enjoy Faulkner and Joyce myself. I want to get around to reading more of both...so far I've only read some of their short-stories.

Do you like Charles Bukowski, Billy Collins, Saul Williams, Albert Camus, or W.H. Auden?
I'll have to dig it out, but I've been trying to get into my writing again. When I do find it, I'll gladly put it up.

I love Bukowski.

I haven't read enough by Collins to give an opinion on his work, but I've liked what I've seen.

Saul Williams is just something else, I don't even know what to say about him; the man is amazing.

I'm a Camus fan, both of his novels and of his philosophy.

And when it comes to Auden, I certainly respect the man, but much prefer his earlier work over his later era.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #90
Lykaios

Quote:
I don't really like Saul Williams very much...I am just not into the whole hip-hop poetry thing. His poetry sounds like word salad. Collins is great...read the poem, "The Dead."

Camus is the shiznit. Auden I enjoy...his most memorable poem to me is, "Musee De Beaux Arts."

Do you like any other poets? Please don't say Emily Dickinson. ;x

I also love John Steinbeck, Anthony Burgess, Peter McWilliams, etc.
When it comes to Williams, I'm not crazy about the whole mix of spoken word and hip-hop, but I like some of the writing behind it. With him, the closer it is to spoken word, the more likely I am to like it. It helps that he likes to criticize the Bush admin., too.

Ha ha.. why am I not supposed to say Emily Dickinson? I DO like her, to an extent. I'm not her biggest fan, though.

Honestly, and this almost sounds cliche, I'd have to say my favorite poet is Poe. The first time I read his last poem, Annabel Lee, he instantly won my heart forever. The only other poet to ever come close is Robert Browning.

Oscar Wilde, Ezra Pound, Langston Hughes, William Butler Yeats, Sylvia Plath, and William Wadsworth are some others, while fairly popular, that I'm somewhat fond of. Then there are quite a few lesser known poets, as well.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:53 AM   #91
Lykaios

Let me not forget Thomas Moore, either.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #92
Lykaios

Quote:
Ah, so you like all them Romantic poets? Where's Lord Byron, Joyce Kilmer, and Gerard Manley Hopkins? :P
I cannot believe I forgot Lord Byron!

Yes, I'm quite the fan of the romantic poets. I don't, in any way, limit myself to them, but it seems they appeal to me a bit more than some.

Not to mention I love the way the founders dressed.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #93
Lykaios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykaios
William Wordsworth
I can't believe I almost missed that. What is wrong with me today? Eh, it must have to do with me feeling as sick as I do, and sweating horribly, as well as it being early morning. Yeah, I hope that's it.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #94
Lykaios

Quote:
I'd love to dress like that...I tend to lean toward Native American regalia though, considering I'm Chickahominy. Anyway, do you have some sort of instant messenger that I can pester you on?
I do dress like that, sometimes.

My style of dress changes, depending. I have had, in the past, my share of Native American clothing, as well. I have a decent amount of both Cherokee and Choctaw in me. It doesn't help that I'm just a bit of a hippie, either.

Eh, I don't talk much on instant messengers, so the only one I have is YIM.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #95
Lykaios

Quote:
Gimmie your YIM mam.

Have you been to any pow-wows? I was at a pow-wow in the fall of 2006...it was hot as fuck. I was sweating my ass off.
My YIM is Iestyn736.

No, I've never been. I'd love to go someday, though.

Personally, what I'm most concerned with is tracking down records and names of my Native American ancestors, and getting proof that I am a direct descendant. I have three other major nationalities in me, and the rest is NA blood, I believe.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #96
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Retarded is a very offensive word to me...I went to a school that had a lot of people with autism, and aspergers, and they were challenged mentally. Calling a person a retard was not a nice thing to do...
Yeah and maggot isn't the only one here with autism, watch what you say. We autistics are everywhere. At the tops of corperate ladders. In the mental hospitals of the country. In the sports fields. In the clubs of everywhere. There are not many things you do that is possible without an autistic's effort. It is debated on that Einstein, Jefferson, Marie Curie, Stonewall Jackson, Bill Gates, H.P. Lovecraft, Newton, Gram Bell, Mozart all had Autism. We are not victims we can speak and we are strong. They are examining Einstein's pickled brain (they pickle all sorts of things once an entire Holy Roman emperor) for certain physical features that are unique to autistics.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #97
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
Bloopie
Explain please. =(

I always want to know whose opinion I'm listening to. It's just a typical informal interview question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
You know what? I think Bloopie, Spright, and Vyvian Blackthorn is the same person. This could or could not be a bad thing.

Bloopie just seems to be displaying similar traits as Vyvian... only not as funny.
I can't decide whether I'm disturbed or amused by the whole schizo thing. I'm mostly amused right now, and I don't think Vyv is one of Bloopie's personalities. Bloopie's too serious to be Vyv, I gather; which is ironic, considering the name.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #98
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
You should be amused, but you're a communist.
Really? Thanks for moving one step further toward self discovery. Now, you explain, please. :-(
Old 04-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #99
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
You have sold your soul to conforming!
What are you talking about, BloopSpright?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #100
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
/Bloopie on

i am not sure. why are we arguing over this? this seems senseless; we are totally high-jacking this poor newbie's introduction. anyway, do you have an instant messenger of some sort?
I'm not arguing.
I'm too technogically challenged for IM programs. Doesn't My Space have an IM though?
You were doing so well, but now you're doing the bad typing thing again.