Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: what do you think of gay marriages?
i totally support it 147 81.22%
ugh, it's disgusting 9 4.97%
don't care 25 13.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2004, 07:56 AM   #1
bloodembrace

gay marriages

this is a post i recently made in a blackplanet.com forum after reading what people had to say about gay marriage and it's tie to religion, read it and please tell me what you think....
by the way, if you'd like to see what other people think about this topic check out http://www.blackplanet.com/Members/ (it's under news)

subject: you people disgust me (well, not all of you)

reading all of these posts has made me sick to my stomach, i`m 15 years old and it seems like i have more sense than alot of you. i totally understand that people have the right to their own opinion but they don`t have the right to disrupt anyones happiness if it`s not hurting anyone. it disturbs me how someone can let a few thousand sheets of paper with words on them dictate so much of what they believe. if the bible said gay unions were perfectly acceptable, how would you all feel now? i`m not a christian, but i do believe in some kind of higher power, i just don`t let a book decide how i live my life. lets take this into consideration, my mother says its selfish for a gay couple to raise children because it subjects them to ridicule, i think this is the biggest peice of shit i`ve ever heard, that`s just like saying black people shouldn`t have kids because of racist assholes, my mother had 3 kids, so is that selfish of her? because i've been called a "******" countless times, i can't help this and neither can anyone else, it just happens. deciding the happiness of someone else is none of the governemnts concern. if the white house were to control everything that the bible deems wrong this world would be a HELL of alot different. but i`m sorry, i guess i`ve been under the silly little impression that this was a free country and the whole "life liberty and the pursuit of happiness" actually meant something....my bad, stupid old me
bloodembrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
Ravena

Hit the nail on the head dahling....
I've had you my way.
Orgy~The Spectrum
Ravena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
bloodembrace

y thank you!
bloodembrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:38 AM   #4
Asurai

Re: gay marriages

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodembrace
it disturbs me how someone can let a few thousand sheets of paper with words on them dictate so much of what they believe. if the bible said gay unions were perfectly acceptable, how would you all feel now?
*sigh* Just one comment: Bible, Constitution -- both were written long before anyone here's grandparents were born.

Neither's writers would have supported gay marriage.

Just a random comment. I'm not against gay marriage -- far from it, the person closest to me is bi.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:38 AM   #5
Moon_Creature

I'm all for gay marriage and it pisses me off that people use shit from the bible to say that it is wrong. Christians need to realize that the bible wasn't written by god and the ideas in it are not reflective of the ideals of god (if there is one). It was written by ancient, close-minded, fuckheaded humans and therefore the ideas in it are not going to be relevent in today's society. It is biased, full of contradictions and crazy rules. If laws were dictated by the bible, men would still be allowed to beat the shit out of their wives and children.
Moon_Creature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
Korellyn

For me, the whole situation is quite simple. Our society is supposedly based on the concept of everybody being equal. To me, that means that EVERYBODY is equal. If gays marry, it doesn't hurt anybody else and quite honestly, it has no effect on me whatsoever. How could it? It doesn't threaten me or any of my relationships in any way, shape or form. If anything, it would help make society more stable, allowing people who want to spend the rest of their lives together to declare that to the world.

For those who argue that the sanctity of marriage is at stake, I'd just like to point out the whole Britney Spears marriage fiasco. Looks to me like that little stunt did more harm to the sanctity of the idea of marriage than any amout of committed, loving same-sex couples ever could.

I mean really... if gays can marry, it makes a lot of people very happy, and doesn't hurt anybody else. If the idea of gay marriage is a threat to your own married bliss... I think you may have to re-evaluate your own relationship, not try to undermine theirs.

Just my $0.02 on the matter.

-K
Korellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 03:56 PM   #7
Morpheus_Noctifer

I personally don't care whether or not anyone marries, but I do support everyone having an equal opportunity to the happiness and misery that marriage can bring. Those who use religion to oppose it seem to forget that this nation was founded by those who sought to keep a division between politics and religion; our Founding Fathers were Deists, by the way. Thus allegedly it is the Rule of Law that is supreme in our secular government - not a theocratic authority. Unfortunately this is not completely true in practice, but the theory is nice.

As a corallary to my first comment, am I the only one who wonders if the group lobbying the hardest in favor of gay marriage was divorce lawyers?
Morpheus_Noctifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
randall

The bible also states that if a woman is not a virgin when she marries, the husband has the right to ask the parents for "proof" of her virginity. If this proof cannot be provided, the husband can have her stoned to death.

So if we want to start throwing the Bible into politics, I say we go ALL THE FUCKING WAY. Not pick and choose those concepts that feed our idealism. I doubt even the most religious zealot would want that.

Not only is the bible rife with contradictions, its also been translated from texts of dead languages. There are several thousand words in the original texts that do not have a specific "translation". The translators also had to determine context and derive meaning and intent.

If you think Shakespear is difficult to understand without Cliffs Notes, try ancient Hebrew, Ancient Greek and Latin.
randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
Jane13

Another thing about American society is how people think they can guess what political party you belong to based on religious beleifs. I have an Atheist friend who everyone thinks is an Anarchist terrorist, but is actually quite docile. People think 'wicca' and think liberal- think again. Another close freind of mine's whole family is pagan, and they're almost overwhelmingly conservative. Her father and I are afraid of each other. :roll:
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 08:13 PM   #10
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
Another thing about American society is how people think they can guess what political party you belong to based on religious beleifs. I have an Atheist friend who everyone thinks is an Anarchist terrorist, but is actually quite docile. People think 'wicca' and think liberal- think again. Another close freind of mine's whole family is pagan, and they're almost overwhelmingly conservative. Her father and I are afraid of each other. :roll:
Very good point. "You're a Christian? Right-wing fundamentalist! Don't make me pull out an upside-down cross and have a donkey trample your arse!"

I've also met people who think that they can guess someone's politics by how they dress. Very often, unfortunately.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:32 PM   #11
Ravena

If a gay man and a gay woman get married, does that keep the 'sanctity of marriage'?
I've had you my way.
Orgy~The Spectrum
Old 04-03-2004, 07:45 PM   #12
vampyreeyes

can't see why bein gay is such a hot issue? Why is it bad in a certain level or styled community be bad and frowned upon? It is stupid and just old. I kissed my girlfriend in public and only 1 person cheered me on, then an old man spat at me 3 hours later while we were holding hands.
vampyreeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:47 PM   #13
Zeade

my whole theory about the gay marriages is.... i think people should be allowed to marry whoever they wish! if you love someone, you should be able to share that with everyone else in the world! just as a "straight" couple would be able to!!! it's not a matter of gender, it's the matter of love! these stupid hypocrite christians (no offence to any christians reading this) need to quit quoting to bible in all their "anti-gay marriage" speeches and such! as someone else said (too lazy to lookie and see who it is) if they are going to quote the bible for this, they need to do it for everything! disclaimer: written when i was extremly tired! please pardon my stupidness!
Zeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:48 AM   #14
OnMyOwn

It doesnt really bother me...i dont think its a right thing to do but its not going to hurt anyone. all its gonna do is piss somepeople off. I have nothing against them because i have friends that are gay and it doesnt bother me. All i think is that no one can be born gay. It all comes from problems and issues in childhood and some people just do it to hurt someone else or just ignorance. If they do or dont get married it doesnt concern me and it wont hurt me if they do. All i know is they wont mess up the sactity or whatever of marriage because if theyre gay they dont believe in the bible so they wont be getting married in the altar in a church in the presence of the Lord.

Some of the only good nice people are gay and i hate it when people talk bad about them especialy my close friends or my mom when she goes into those sermons of hers and things when i come home. My father never ever talks bad about them (thank god) he just ignores all these things that are happening.
OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:03 AM   #15
RetroGoth_queen

I hate people who suggest that gay people shouldn't adopt children because

"all gays are paedophiles"

my god that shits me to not end!
Old 04-04-2004, 11:54 AM   #16
ohthefuckwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn
It doesnt really bother me...i dont think its a right thing to do but its not going to hurt anyone. all its gonna do is piss somepeople off. I have nothing against them because i have friends that are gay and it doesnt bother me. All i think is that no one can be born gay. It all comes from problems and issues in childhood and some people just do it to hurt someone else or just ignorance. If they do or dont get married it doesnt concern me and it wont hurt me if they do. All i know is they wont mess up the sactity or whatever of marriage because if theyre gay they dont believe in the bible so they wont be getting married in the altar in a church in the presence of the Lord.

Some of the only good nice people are gay and i hate it when people talk bad about them especialy my close friends or my mom when she goes into those sermons of hers and things when i come home. My father never ever talks bad about them (thank god) he just ignores all these things that are happening.

ohhhhhh, omo.....you almost had me in theory.

the stance of, "hey, it's not for me but others can do whatever they wish" is not a bad one to have. that's pretty much how i feel about it.

you have gay friends & their homosexuality doesn't bother you. hey....same here.

but then....

"All i think is that no one can be born gay. It all comes from problems and issues in childhood and some people just do it to hurt someone else or just ignorance."

and...

"All i know is they wont mess up the sactity or whatever of marriage because if theyre gay they dont believe in the bible so they wont be getting married in the altar in a church in the presence of the Lord."

ok. one thing at a time here.

i've often had heated debates with others, as well as just with myself, if homosexuality is a "choice" or if it just "is". i've had long, emotional discussions with people who are very close to me who just so happen to be gay. the best i can come up with is....WHY would someone willingly choose a lifestyle that they know could possibly alienate them, lessen their opportunities, and, in some horrible cases, even cost them their lives in our twisted "free-loving-well-we-really-only-mean-'free-loving'-so-long-as-you-play-
by-our-rules-and-fit-into-our-mold" society?? and, an even sillier notion, do it "just to be different" or "to hurt someone" or "just ignorance"??? pardon....ignorance?? ease up there, turbo....that's a mighty harsh label. not to mention incredibly skewed.

as someone i was once extremely close to but have since lost that closeness due to circumstances irrelevant to the topic at hand said to me once, "if i could be any other way....don't you think i would? do you think i like that i've become a stranger to my own family since they found out? do you think i like knowing that straight guys who were once buddies now feel uncomfortable around me? do you think that i like knowing that my own brother wanted to kill me just because this is who i am?? but this is ME. i'm still the same person i've ALWAYS been. i can't change who i am. i would if i could for them....but i'm not ashamed for myself."

he liked who he was, he just hated that his family didn't. and even if it meant his unhappines....sacrificing who and what he really is just to make his family more comfortable....he would have changed. it wasn't a matter of "choice". he tried "playing straight" for his family's sake. he thought maybe there was something wrong with him & he just hadn't met "the right woman yet". he tried to fight it until he was in his early 20's. then he decided to just be true to himself.

now....

"if they're gay they don't believe in the bible."

ummmmm......excuse me?

i don't tithe as regularly as i should. i have, completely & utterly regretfully, commited adultery. i have coveted some of my neighbor's possessions. i have taken the Lord's name in vain and i do not respect my mother nor my father. does any of this mean i "don't believe in the bible"?? don't be absurd. i'm saying this all on the assumption that you were implying that because people are gay, they can't possibly "believe in the bible" since there are so many references to how "wrong" it is. well, there are plenty of references to the things i mentioned....some of them are in the "big 10", in fact. so....by your logic....if people can't "believe in the bible" because they do things the bible says, in various ways left to interpretation, are "wrong", then i can't "believe in the bible" either because i don't do things the bible says is "right". think about that. does your argument still make sense?

now, if i was totally off the mark & that wasn't your basis for the "don't believe in the bible" argument, by all means, please explain.

*sigh*

i'm gonna go crawl back in my hole now.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:32 PM   #17
Ravena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
This is one of those gray issues, and the lines are a bit stretched.

There is a way to solve the issue without causing too much detriment to either side, but inherently we’re a people who grease the squeaky wheel and forget the wheel that’s traveling along on one lug nut. The one lug nut in this case is an institute that is already flawed, has been since its conception, and has always favored the man in terms of equality.

Still, in the defense of marriage and religion, it’s not an organization I see gays wanting to go into, let alone needing to be a member of. If you want to paint it in terms of beliefs, then it’d be similar to Christians complaining about Hanukah and wanting a piece of that holiday off from work.

Why?

But here is where the gray comes in, the government has established the institute of marriage in such a way as to deny human rights, basic human rights which should be allowed to everyone, and formed an elitists club comprised of all religious denomination and set it against alternative life believers.

Which is wrong.

You shouldn’t have to be a member of the club to enjoy these basic rights, and what I’m talking about is life rights, death rights, taxation relief, and all things of that ilk. What we as a people do to gays is just as abhorrent as what we have done to women, blacks, native Americans, and every people in-between that we set our selves as better than. If the only way the government can reestablish the equality of the gay population, if they are so blind as to the ramifications of the bigotry they have so often shown, then by all means I will support whatever form and unity of a woman and a woman or a man and a man because I am no better than they are.

There’s two pennies.
*Gives you a dime* Keep going...

*Breaks out lighter*
I've had you my way.
Orgy~The Spectrum
Old 04-09-2004, 09:38 PM   #18
Ravena

now....

"if they're gay they don't believe in the bible."

ummmmm......excuse me?

Yea, didn't you know? Those gay people are all immoral....
:roll:
I've had you my way.
Orgy~The Spectrum
Old 04-09-2004, 09:53 PM   #19
WolfMoon

Quote:
All i think is that no one can be born gay. It all comes from problems and issues in childhood and some people just do it to hurt someone else or just ignorance.
Actually,it is a fact that they have done studies and *surprisesurprise* some people are born or genetically inclined to be gay.You see half of their brain is bigger than the other half.What that means,I don't know,maybe it gives them their incredible fashion sense.... :P

And saying that gays don't believe in the bible?Wrong again there,junior.I know,and have known,many gay people.They have been equally pagan and christian,of varied denominations.Just because people don't understand them doesn't mean their God doesn't love them and vise~versa.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:07 PM   #20
Ravena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Quote:
All i think is that no one can be born gay. It all comes from problems and issues in childhood and some people just do it to hurt someone else or just ignorance.
Actually,it is a fact that they have done studies and *surprisesurprise* some people are born or genetically inclined to be gay.You see half of their brain is bigger than the other half.What that means,I don't know,maybe it gives them their incredible fashion sense.... :P

And saying that gays don't believe in the bible?Wrong again there,junior.I know,and have known,many gay people.They have been equally pagan and christian,of varied denominations.Just because people don't understand them doesn't mean their God doesn't love them and vise~versa.
Um, where you talking to me? I don't think so, but you know I'm easy to confuse, so I'll just say that I was being sarcastic...

And I agree, Wolfie. I am bi and Pagan to boot, and I'm not worrried my
Parents Above love me not for what I am... For we are all equaly precious in Their Eyes.
I've had you my way.
Orgy~The Spectrum
Old 04-09-2004, 10:10 PM   #21
Ravena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravena
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Quote:

Um, where you talking to me? I don't think so, but you know I'm easy to confuse, so I'll just say that I was being sarcastic...

And I agree, Wolfie. I am bi and Pagan to boot, and I'm not worrried my
Parents Above love me not for what I am... For we are all equaly precious in Their Eyes.
Well, ok, minus the idiot population...
*slaps wrist*
That was bad of me.... :twisted:
I've had you my way.
Orgy~The Spectrum
Old 04-14-2004, 11:39 PM   #22
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravena
Sweet Ravena,I wasn't just replying to your sarcastisc bible remark.I've heard alot of people say that being gay is an "abomination" and "against god's laws",I was just relating experiences from real life for any narrow minded people.We'll broaden their minds if we have to do it with a sledge-hammer. :P <------notice the use of SARCASM in the last sentence.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:46 AM   #23
Perfectly_Flawed

"...'Til Death Do Us Part". If that can be overstepped, why can't two men, or two women be legally married?

I fully support the legalization of same-sex marriages. The stories I keep hearing about couples who have been together for 20+ years ... lord, allow them to be elevated to the social status of wedded-dom already. If anything, they will save the 'sanctity' of marriage.
Perfectly_Flawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:31 AM   #24
Hunter

Personally I have nothing against being homosexual but I can understand why people would be against it. The only people I really have any respect for in their crusade against it though are the catholics. Everyone else seems like they're trying to ban gay marriages because they just don't like gay people and are astoundingly homophobic. Catholics on the other hand seem to have a history of fighting something for awhile and then grudgingly giving way on it, if not for themselves then for other people who aren't Catholic and are therefore going to hell anyway. Anyway I don't even care if they call it marriage, they could even make civil unions completely equal and I'd be happy but I suppose if they did that it would end up as the seperate but equal in inherently unequal thing. I doubt I'll ever marry or sleep with another guy but hell if I come across my soul mate and he's a guy rather than a girl you better believe I'll marry him.

Oh and on the whole being born gay I actually read the results of that study awhile ago but when we reformatted the computer I lost the link. They've also done tests with animals proving that some animals are occasionally born gay. So how can it be wrong if it's found everywhere in nature, the original reason for dislike of homosexuals was that it was unnatural.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:04 AM   #25
MorganScorpion

Last year my oldest friend had his relationship registered at the Town Hall in London, the nearest you can get in the UK to a gay marriage. Over Christmas they split up, and his ex got the dog and the car.

Call me a cynical old cuss, but I believe the people who will benefit the most from legally binding gay marriages will be the divorce lawyers.

http://www.outuk.com/index.html?http...s/gayregister/
MorganScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote