Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #3301
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
You cannot legally be fired for being genuinely ill
That isn't necessarily true, remember that you live in a very different country. In the US it depends on your state. If the sate you live in is a right to work state then you can be fired without any reason.

Hope all goes well with your interview Kor.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #3302
Pineapple_Juice

Quite right. I was a server once in a right to work state. It was the worst job ever and I got fired for a ridiculous reason.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #3303
Entropic

So, I talked things out with my girlfriend, and I feel a hell of a lot better.

I don't get it. When I was in a fucked up relationship, I couldn't tell when things were wrong, so I never suspected anything. Now that I'm in a not-fucked-up relationship, I can't tell when things are wrong, and I suspect everything, even though they turn out to be fine.

wtf.
Entropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #3304
korinna5555

Unfortunately, KY is a right to work/at will employment state.

Thanks, Sol. How've you been?! I haven't talked to you in forever.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #3305
Solumina

I know! I've been kind of consumed with work and wedding planning but that will hopefully be changing soon as I will be ahead of schedule for the wedding as long as everything goes well on Saturday (which I have full confidence it will) and I put in for a transfer at work so I will no longer have to worry about the scheduling nightmare that is Nannette.

Things seem to be going well, I'm making more money than I am spending (which is always good), I like most of my coworkers, and the weather has been cooperative so I can't complain.

How have you been?
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #3306
honeythorn

Chrsit.. I'd move at once if that's the case. Why bother having a job at all if you get fired for being ill . Even if I'd been fired for something as silly as that I'd go back in and give them a piece of my mind regardless of what they're allowed to do >.<

In other news, My sheer rage at some of the opinions on betta keeping in the fish forum is enough to honestly make me feel sick and want to smash something.

No, it's not a scientific fact that bettas require 5 gallons + it's a fucking ethical one. And one that 80% of the people in there ignore willingly so they can have a pretty little glass tub on their desk.

If they did to a dog or cat what is done to those fish in terms of living space they'd be fined and banned from keeping an animal. It would make my fucking day if you could get such a penalty for keeping fish in such a way as these cunts do. Most of the forum would go down and I'd fucking cackle my tits off and love it.

It doesn't take much to use your eyes and see that shuffling from corner to corner in a 2 gallon anything, is in no way shape or form better than swimming around properly in 5 gals + no matter how well filtered and heated you keep it.

Survival does not = quality of life in this case.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #3307
Saya

Years ago my old roommate had a betta, and the people at the pet store told us that bettas love shallow water, and the main thing was for the bowl to be longer than it is higher. True story, feel really bad for that fish in retrospect.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #3308
honeythorn

That is quite true that they like shallow water (8-12 inches is optimum ) , and the tank ( never a bowl ) should indeed be longer than higher in most cases, though I have successfully kept bettas in hexagonal tall tanks too.

It's the actual space and volume that narks me. The fish we get in shops may no longer be wild or in the natural colour form but they retain all the instincts of the wild form, agression ect. And since the wild fish definitely do not live in 2 or 3 gallons of water why keep it in that amount? Ok no one has a rice paddy but if you are going to keep any species it should have space in which to properly move, exercise and behave normally.

These fuckers fail to understand this and repeat that the betta can survive living in a few litres of water for a long time, so 2-3 gallons is perfectly adequate based on this. NO. IT ISN'T.

They're just lazy cunts who can't be arsed to shift some stuff to make room for a decent sized tank. They want a pretty vase on a desk or something that fits on a shelf. That's not the point of keeping fish, yes tanks and fish are indeed attractive but they are living beings, not fucking IKEA ornaments .

For all their scientific spoutings they have no sense of ethics in this matter yet claim to adore bettas and think they're great.

And yet when someone pops up saying they have an oscar ( large species of cichlid ) in a 40 gallon tank the whole place blows up. " Oh you can't keep it in there , not enough space for it to swim when adult! " " Oh you'll have to do loads of water changes ect " " Oh it's terrible you must get a bigger tank asap, they need 100 gallons! "

Never mind the fact that such a species could indeed survive for quite some time in such a small tank given the correct care, oh no it's cruel for the poor osacr.

HYPOCRITES.

Sorry for ranting but it really incenses me to see a species so badly treated . Goldfish suffer similar treatment also.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #3309
carakitty

HoneyThorn- I totally agree! Bettas and Goldfish are so misunderstood =(
Do you have any idea why our Betta in the 37 gallon tank likes to swim around near the bottom? Crazy fish! The one in the 20 gallon tank goes to the bottom lots too but not as much as the one in the big tank. Oh well, they must be happy as a group on the whole because we got 17 spotted catfish fry!

I'd like to whine now please: I want Lent to be over with already! There is Burgundy wine unopened with my name on it and it's calling to me loudly! I pretty much gave up drinking entirely for Lent
Old 03-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #3310
Corpsey

My mind has mutated into Kana symbols.

Ma...Mi...Mu...Me...Mo...

Ya........Yu............Yo...

Meeeeelting.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:06 AM   #3311
Saya

hahaha, do you have pictures to help you remember them? I remember mo is monster.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #3312
Corpsey

I did but I decided to ignore those as I didn't connect with the sheet for the Hiragana.

I just wrote the lists out over and over for an hour. I'll bet I've forgotten it within the next half hour. Anywho, I'm off to watch a film so I can blissfully remold my brain.

Mo...Monster. :P

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #3313
Ben Lahnger

I had a Betta once and kept it (because I was given bad information) in a 2.5 gallon tank. I lost him after about a year and felt very bad about not being able to keep him alive. I decided I was not going to have any more fish at that point because I didn't want to be responsible for killing another one. That's turned out to be a wise choice for many reasons.

I have a dog now (my third), and have raised him successfully from puppy to 2.5 years of age without mishap. It appears I am much better at raising dogs than fish, so I'll stick to what I know.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 AM   #3314
Luv2H8

Apparently my name is hard as fuck to remember.
Last week I was Juan.
6 days ago- Pedro.
5 days ago- Chris.
3- Joanna. That's not even a guy's name. WTF?
Luv2H8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #3315
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2H8 View Post
Apparently my name is hard as fuck to remember.
Last week I was Juan.
6 days ago- Pedro.
5 days ago- Chris.
3- Joanna. That's not even a guy's name. WTF?
How about chupacabra?

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #3316
Luv2H8

No, but I have been called Satan by my BFF.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #3317
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
Do you have any idea why our Betta in the 37 gallon tank likes to swim around near the bottom? Crazy fish! The one in the 20 gallon tank goes to the bottom lots too but not as much as the one in the big tank. Oh well, they must be happy as a group on the whole because we got 17 spotted catfish fry!
Could be stress, water quality or lack of hiding space. Or all of them.

If the tanks are community ones it could be the tankmates. The catfish should be fine, but anything fast moving or nippy like tetras, Danios, Barbs ect should be avoided for tankmates as their darting about tends to upset a lot of bettas.

I would say test your water with a liquid test kit if you don't already, check it isn't your water quality, and add a shit load of real or silk plants if the tank has a lot of open areas. Contrary to popular belief, bettas don't actually like small spaces, it's open spaces. So stuff one end or all of the tank with a good mix of plants tall, mid and short . If he tends to inhabit one particular area then plant that area as his little territory.

Current is another problem for bettas as in the wild they come from almost still waters, and the fancy tank bred types are pretty poor swimmers due to their long inbred finnage . If your tank has a high flow, one you can see the fish swimming against slightly or that moves plants quite a bit, then face the flow so it hits the back wall of the tank. If you have a spray bar attachment then point the holes at the back wall and downwards a little.

Ben - A year is a decent time considering the tank size. It is scientifically true they can survive in a few litres of water for quite some time if you do plenty of water changes , plant heavily ect, but it's no kind of life no matter how much attention you apply, simply not enough space.

It's more complicated to set up a tank safely for fish than most people think, but at the same time not really difficult when you have the basics.

The problem most people have is that they don't do research on the species they want to keep, how much waste it makes and most importantly how big it gets. Most of it is plain common sense.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #3318
honeythorn

HA! I've been suspended from the fish forum for actually giving a shit about the living conditions of fish. Well well well.

And do you know what post was referred to? The post that got me suspended because I have apparantly " flamed "? I posted the following reply on a thread made by a cunt who had set up a 2 gallon betta deathtrap.

*Head-desk*

That's right boys and girls, Head-desk = flaming ! So for fucks sake DON'T SAY IT!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #3319
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
HA! I've been suspended from the fish forum for actually giving a shit about the living conditions of fish. Well well well.

And do you know what post was referred to? The post that got me suspended because I have apparantly " flamed "? I posted the following reply on a thread made by a cunt who had set up a 2 gallon betta deathtrap.

*Head-desk*

That's right boys and girls, Head-desk = flaming ! So for fucks sake DON'T SAY IT!

Lmao?? Honeythorn suspended from a fish forum. That is epic.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #3320
Solumina

So I kind of got fired today, not really fired since I had put in for a transfer and that is being treated as a resignation, but essentially I'm being fired for not meeting my goals for two months in a row. My issue with that is that for February my goal was the same as for some of the other concierges but I was only on the desk for the second half of the month. This month I more than met my goal last week and the vast majority of my shifts all month were morning shifts, which suck. It isn't like I was expected to have the job much longer, but I was just completely blindsided, as were my coworkers. What made it even better was that I was told that I had to strong of a focus on customer service, which is apparently bad for a concierge.

On the plus side I essentially get a week or two of vacation (which will be rather helpful with the whole wedding planning thing) before picking which department I'm going to (I know I have a job in activities if I want it, the manager already said so, I'm just waiting to see if reservations or security can take me as they pay a bit better) and all of my benefits will transfer as long as I start within 30 days.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #3321
the-nihilist

*Head-desk*
Old 03-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #3322
Luv2H8

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
*Head-desk*
*User was banned for this post*
Old 03-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #3323
the-nihilist

Man, this is BULLSHIT
Old 03-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #3324
korinna5555

Insomnia, I hate you.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #3325
the-nihilist

I thought it was an ok show. I think Dave Attell was perfect for it.