Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Silvara

Hair Hell...?

I need help... back in March ('07), I wanted to try something new with my hair. It was jet black at the time, and my mom insisted that I go to a salon so they could "strip" the color out of my hair. They bleached it... to the point of no return apparently. I hated it, so tried to color at home like I'd been doing long before the mishap.

I tried a light brown color, because I wasn't sure if I wanted to go black again so soon... the color faded out completely by the following weekend. I tried black about a month after that, that also completely faded back to the color my hair turned when they bleached it. The ends were dead, now mind you I had LONG hair. So the last time I had my hair cut, they took off about 9", which brought it to just below my shoulders. I couldnt take having more cut off... I also had them dye it a "Dark Irish Red". A dark brown with red tints. It was pretty, and it completely faded out again about a month later.

NOW! I can't decide if I should go to the salon again, have THEM dye my hair black and pay $50.00 if its just gonna fade out. SO! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the color in my hair? Ive decided to go black again. Its easy. The bleached color my hair keeps fading to is a "dirty blond" kind of color. I hate it, my boyfriend hates it... NEED HELP!!!! Its annoying to dye my hair every 2 weeks, and very time consuming.
Silvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Xombie

I think it's VERY strange that your black is fading. Black typically doesn't fade...ever. In my experience, at least. Are you sure it's permanent dye?

The only suggestion I can make is to shower with cold water, as hot water will cause it to bleed out. Also, don't use any "clarifying" shampoos. Those strip the oils - and added pigments - from your hair.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
chelseagirl

over-bleaching/stripping hair can cause it to become so damaged and porous that it can't hold color anymore. I'll call my friend, who is a stylist, and ask her for advice, and get back to you.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
KontanKarite

What's that hair dye called that uses techniques from the mid east and India? It's like a form of skin tatting that last for about 6 months but you use it on your hair and it's very permanent.

What's that called?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
emeraldlonewoulf

It's called henna, and is derived from a flowering shrub found in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. The "tattooing" is called mehndi, and is more like painting on the designs rather than using needles to inject under the skin.
Genuine henna only dyes orange to dark reddish brown.
"Black henna" isn't henna at all,but something else. you can't get black from natural, authentic henna, although you can get a dark reddish brown.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
What's that hair dye called that uses techniques from the mid east and India? It's like a form of skin tatting that last for about 6 months but you use it on your hair and it's very permanent.

What's that called?
Henna but watch which kinds you use because there's a chance of allergy as well as added sensitivity to some medications/drugs. And there's also the boredom factor as well.
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Sinless

I got a hideous perm once. My hair was all messed up for weeks. I cast a spell on the evil hairdresser for what he did. He will be girlfriendless forever!
Sinless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
ApothoKeri

You have to use hair repair treatments and even though they help, they still may not repair to the point it will hold color. Once too damaged and porous it just can't hold color anymore.

About Henna, watch it or read up I know you can not use it over previous (non-henna) color or it can break all of your hair off. The henna does NOT do well with normal hair color or processed hair. Something in it reacts and I can not remember just how but make sure you look into that.
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
Arashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldlonewoulf
It's called henna, and is derived from a flowering shrub found in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. The "tattooing" is called mehndi, and is more like painting on the designs rather than using needles to inject under the skin.
Genuine henna only dyes orange to dark reddish brown.
"Black henna" isn't henna at all,but something else. you can't get black from natural, authentic henna, although you can get a dark reddish brown.
However, henna and indigo combined can give one a beautiful, deep, dark blue black that apparently is a screaming bitch to even get out in the very slightest.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
Silvara

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
over-bleaching/stripping hair can cause it to become so damaged and porous that it can't hold color anymore. I'll call my friend, who is a stylist, and ask her for advice, and get back to you.
Oh wow! Thanks!

And thank you to everyone else! I guess the girl who bleached my hair did something pretty wrong, as its the only time I've ever had my hair bleached in my life. Even with me dyeing it black at home, my hair was always healthy. *sigh*

Xombie- Thanks for the advice, I'll check my shampoo tomorrow. I don't think it's "clarifying" but ill check. :S Id heard hot water can make color bleed out, which is another reason mine must fade so quickly. (it's too damn cold in Chicago, so im sure I have the water warmer then I normally would, lol) I'll try turning down the temperature next time I put dye in my hair. Henna is definitely something I've heard of. My boyfriend is Pakistani, so his mother has mentioned it to me, but I've never the courage to try it. >_> And after what everyone has told me here, I don't think I ever will.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
Silvara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi
However, henna and indigo combined can give one a beautiful, deep, dark blue black that apparently is a screaming bitch to even get out in the very slightest.
I almost want to try THAT, just to see if it will fade. haha
Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
Silvara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinless
I got a hideous perm once. My hair was all messed up for weeks. I cast a spell on the evil hairdresser for what he did. He will be girlfriendless forever!
Awwww, now that really bites! I always wanted to try a perm, soft curls though. Nothing major, but ive heard a lot of horror stories about people who have gotten perms.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #13
TopHaggardDoll

You've bleached your hair now, NO PERMING FOR YOU!

Setting is good though, pop some rollers in and see all the pretty waves appear.

Maybe....when you get a colour...by a coloured shampoo or mousse that matches the colour you got...and inbetween dying, it should hopefully retain more colour and help the colour last longer.

Basically, what the hair dresser has done,is she damaged the cuticles of your hair...the way they lie flat, like fishscales is the reason why colour stays in the hair. On normal hair, it goes under the cuticle and the molecules swell and get stuck in the hairshaft. Now your hair has been bleached the cuticles don't lie flat anymore....so colour just....falls out when you wash it. There isn't too much you can do until your natural hair grows back, apart from trying the coloured shampoos or mousses as a cheaper way of helping retain the colour before you dye again.

I hope this helped.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
Silvara

Definitely helped! Ill try dyeing my hair one more time, but with colour shampoos. No perming... lol