Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
Paper_Wings

Red face Band suggestions please

I looked through the threads and didn't see any on band suggestions. I did see a couple but they were more specific. I am truly sorry if I missed any. I'm looking for basically anything that sounds good like any techno, metal, etc. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

Well, I wouldn't reccomend asking this question, seeing as everyone has different tastes, but what the hell, here are my favorite ones:

1) Lacrimosa - gothic metal (I guess) with a lot of instrumental songs that are almost theatrical. There's a song that's pure opera
2) The Dresden Dolls - Bretchian Punk Cabaret. Just listen to them and see if you like it.
3) London After Midnight - Secong Generation (?) goth
4) Dimmu Borgir - something like Death Metal
5) Within Temptation - They're like a melodic metal or something

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Paper_Wings

Thanks! I'll check those out. The "Lacrimosa" looks like it would be a good one.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
Circle V

There are the obvious choices, including industrial bands like Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, and Skinny Puppy, and Goth/death rock bands like Bauhaus, Christian Death, and The Cure. A few of my personal non-Gothy favorites include Tom Waits, Sting, and Soundgarden.

This may not be what you're looking for, but The Roadhouse is a great blues podcast, Industrial Radio is a decent industrial podcast, and This Is Corrosion is a good internet radio station. These can all be found through iTunes.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
Paper_Wings

I like basically anything from classical to Jazz to metal. I think I'll check out the Roadhouse one first. It sounds like it would be good. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #6
bjork_freak

A few good trance artists would be Darude, Moby, and Benny Benassi. I suggest downloading iTunes. They have an excellent selection of podcasts. Just search for the music you're looking for and they will most likely host the podcasts.

If you don't know what a podcast is, it's basically internet radio. If you are looking for good continuous trance radio, try http://www.hbr1.com/.

If you enjoy electronica, try Miss Kittin, Daft Punk, and Björk.

I noticed you said you like jazz. Do you enjoy blues? If you like blues you would really love Muddy Waters.

If you enjoy grunge, try Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden.

If you enjoy alternative, try Garbage, Fiona Apple, The Smashing Pumpkins, Flaming Lips, and The Sugarcubes.
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
Draconysius

You need to be more specific in your requests. What style of electronica or metal do you like? I enjoy stoner/doom metal like Down or Electric Wizard, and gothic industrial like Diary of Dreams or VNV Nation.

Speaking of which, I have my own need for recommendations.
I am searching for any new deathrock bands similar to Bauhaus, Christian Death, Joy Division, Alien Sex Fiend, etc. and also industrial such as Diary of Dreams, Wumpscut, and VNV Nation.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
horrorgirl

I'm going to list some punk bands that I like a lot since I don't really listen to techno or metal.

Adolescents (classic so-cal hardcore band)
GBH (one of my favorite British hardcore bands)
Subhumans (great political British punk)
Exploited (hardcore in the beginning but now with metal influences)
TSOL (another classic so-cal hardcore/deathrock band)
Dead Kennedys (if you haven't heard of them you must be living under a rock)
Misfits (classic horror punk with GLENN DANZIG on vocals, forget about the new crap that has nothing to do with him)
Samhain (deathrock project that Danzig did after the Misfits)
Black Flag (another classic so-cal hardcore band)
Circle Jerks (another classic so-cal hardcore band)
MDC (classic political hardcore band from San Francisco area)
7 Seconds (classic hardcore/skater punk)

That's it for now. If I get off of my lazy ass I will list some more.

TO DRACONYSIUS: VNV Nation and Diary Of Dreams ARE NOT Industrial. They are synthpop/futurepop. There is a huge difference. I'm sorry I am being a Nazi about it but I am tired of seeing synthpop/futurepop bands being labeled as Industrial. If you are looking for new deathrock listen to some Brides, they are rather goofy and good. Also, go buy Dance With Me and Beneath The Shadows by TSOL. Both albums are not new but they are classic deathrock and are overlooked by lots of people.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
WolfMoon

To find out which Idustrial bands would suit you best.

http://selectsmart.com/FREE/select.p...ndustrialmusic

If you like bands like VNV Nation...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurepop

Last edited by WolfMoon; 04-20-2006 at 09:47 PM.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:44 AM   #10
Draconysius

I send my gratitude, Wolfy and Horrorgirl. I shall definitely look into these suggestions. I would, however, wish to know true industrial bands. I know of Skkinny Puppy and (early) Ministry; please list some more, if you may.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #11
horrorgirl

KMFDM is another industrial band that you should look into. There is a thread that I made wanting to find out about industrial bands. It's below this one somewhere.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
Icarian Decoding

This comes to my mind:
http://www.pandora.com

The band I want people to try atleast once: Mindless Self-Indulgence.
They are just a fun band.
Icarian Decoding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #13
Eforce

Deathstars! you can find the video Cynadea(i think it's spelled like that) at www.youtube.com
Eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
Circle V

Er... Combichrist is a good industrial band. Hanzel und Gretyl is cool, and Wumpscut can be amazing when he hits the mark.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #15
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
KMFDM is another industrial band that you should look into. There is a thread that I made wanting to find out about industrial bands. It's below this one somewhere.
I don't particularly like KMFDM. If you enjoy them, though, you should hear Fear Factory's album "Remanufacture"; industrial remixes of their most successful album. Fear Factory is mainly an industrial metal band, but this album sounds right on the spot with kMFDM.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:05 AM   #16
ECAkeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle V
There are the obvious choices, including industrial bands like Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, and Skinny Puppy, and Goth/death rock bands like Bauhaus, Christian Death, and The Cure. A few of my personal non-Gothy favorites include Tom Waits, Sting, and Soundgarden.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with NIN being Industrial (and certainly not in the true, Throbbing Gristle definition)

While I'm on the topic of Industrial (in the broader sense), may I suggest:

:Wumpscut:
Apoptygma Berzerk
Assemblage 23
Caberet Voltaire
Einsturzende Neubauten
Front 242
Frontline Assembly
Funker Vogt
Hoico
Ministry
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
Nitzer Ebb
Project Pitchfork
Rammstein
Revolting Cocks
Sheep On Drugs
Skinny Puppy (in particular, the albums 'Cleanse Fold and Manipulate' and 'Remission' and the track 'Assimilate')
SPK
Velvet Acid Christ
VNV Nation
ECAkeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #17
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eforce
Deathstars! you can find the video Cynadea(i think it's spelled like that) at www.youtube.com

You are my new best friend! I am obsessed with the Deathstars...his voice makes me just melt. Although, I think I like Synthetic Generation better than Termination Bliss. I also really like The Kovenant's album Animatronic (They're also on NuclearBlast records). I recently bought their newer album though, S.E.T.I., and was really disappointed, it was very different. Animatronic was like heavy black metal mixed with industrial with female operatic vocals backing up the male vocals. It was strange, and I love it!
chelseagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #18
angel_dark_demon_bright

How about the Black and Blue Crew?
angel_dark_demon_bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #19
Virulent Dryad

Well I'm not sure what your personal preferences are but I like
Nick Cave (mmm so dark and delicious)
Sisters of Mercy
Tristania
and oh dear, my mind has gone blank, sorry lol.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #20
Niels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
4) Dimmu Borgir - something like Death Metal
Please, Dimmu is mainstream Black Metal. I don't want to sound like a bitch, but I WILL correct false metal genres... consider this a learning moment...

If you're into metal, especially black metal, then you'll like Immortal, Anorexia Nervosa, Darkthrone, Emperor, Old Mans Child

If you like death metal Nile and Decapitated are bands I recommand.

And for a little folk metal Finntroll is awesome!

Have fun!

(btw, Dresden Dolls are very nice too :P)
Old 05-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #21
Virulent Dryad

Well apparently the other black metal bands don't like to be associated with them, or COF for that matter.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:40 AM   #22
Aurora Vinylslut

Some great Black metal bands: Dark Funeral, Burzum, Bathory, Marduk, Mayhem etc.
Also try Agathodamion (Dark metal)
Aurora Vinylslut is offline   Reply With Quote