Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Naunet

Post A Question from a Newbie

Hey, everyone. I'm Naunet. I'm one of the new members to the site and am interested in breaking into the subculture and learning more about it.

One of the biggest questions I have is concerning music. Do you actually have to like Gothic music to be considered Goth? I love the Gothic clothing that is more sophisticated and I love the literature and history associated with the term Gothic, but for some reason Gothic music is just not the type of music that I enjoy listening to. I do listen to a few neoclassical darkwave songs, but other than that I'm just not into most Goth subculture music. Is that actually an issue or is that just fine?
Naunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Grausamkeit

Wow...such a vast genre to just dismiss as not liking the music....

How many bands have you actually listened to?

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Alan

No, it is actually an issue. Goth is nothing but a music subculture.
Gothic fashion is hardly ever goth anyway. Most wannabes that like 'gothic aesthetics' are douches that want to look like this

When oldschool goth and deathrock looks like this

More punk, less douchebag-nostalgic-about-a-classist-racist-and-sexually-reppressed-era

Gothic literature has nothing to do with goth. Wuthering Heights is fucking boring.
And the word "gothic" does not have a history. None of its uses are related to each other, and that's what makes it so infuriating when people come in and tell us that WE are close-minded because we only care about music to be goths when in fact it's a lot more close-minded and unoriginal to like EVERYTHING that has ever been called 'gothic' just because of the word.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Grausamkeit

Daniel Ash in that pic.... *drool* Is that you in the second pic, Jill?

Um, where was I? Oh yeah, fuck the Victorians! I like corsets, but I hate people who romanticize that era while conveniently overlooking the classist sexist racist BS that was the foundation for that society, it still influences society today. And vampyres suck balls.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Naunet

I do listen to the Changelings. Narsilion is also a good band. If it's neoclassical darkwave, I'm kind of into it.

I think the biggest issue I have with the music is that a lot of it sounds over-the-top with the actual instruments. In much of it it's very loud and doesn't sit well with me.

Can we not use the insults? Edgar Allan Poe, believe it or not, actually is part of the literature. And it's not about romanticizing the time period associated with the Victorian era. It was a serious question from someone who seriously wants to be in the culture.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
Grausamkeit

Let me make it even more simple for you:

The Goth subculture is a MUSIC culture. You don't like the MUSIC. See?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
Naunet

I don't see just music in the Gothic subculture, though. There's also a lot of influence from the likes of Edgar Allan Poe. So it doesn't make any sense that it's nothing but music.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
Grausamkeit

You are being purposely dense.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #9
Naunet

Grausamkeit, I don't think that you're being particularly helpful right now. So if you would please, I'd like to talk to someone else.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
Grausamkeit

I'm the only person here right now, so deal.

You need to reread Alan's post over and over again until it finally sinks in.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
Alan

Would you come up to a raver and tell them that they HAVE to like Robert Anton Wilson?
No. Stop telling us what our subculture is about.
real classy
Old 09-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
Naunet

Listen, Grausamkeit. I think that you are being rude right now. I do not think that you or Alan are being helpful in clarifying my question at all. So if you would pleae, I would like for you to stop preaching to me.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #13
Grausamkeit

We have already clarified your question. Don't be pissy because you don't like the answer.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #14
Naunet

I'm not trying to tell you what the Gothic subculture is about, Alan. All I want to know is whether or not the hardcore punk type of Gothic music is all there is to it to the subculture. Is that all there is to it? If you answer that question, I'll be satisfied.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #15
Alan

We already clarified your question; you just don't like the answer.
We're a music scene. Just because your high school english lit class taught you who Nathaniel Hawthorne is does not make him a 'pioneer goth' older than Peter Murphy.
real classy
Old 09-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #16
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naunet View Post
I'm not trying to tell you what the Gothic subculture is about, Alan. All I want to know is whether or not the hardcore punk type of Gothic music is all there is to it to the subculture. Is that all there is to it? If you answer that question, I'll be satisfied.
Yes; for about the third time, that is all there is to it. Everything else is up to us to like or dislike NOT because it's goth but because we like it.
If you want a subculture where you have 'right clothes', 'right books', and 'right aesthetics', go be a Randfan.
real classy
Old 09-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #17
Naunet

Alan. That doesn't satisfy my question. The question I just asked you wasn't about Gothic literature specifically. Is hardcore punk Goth music all there is to it? Yes or no? Or is neoclassical darkwave also Goth?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #18
Alan

Goth music is not hardcore punk, what the fuck?
real classy
Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #19
Naunet

Great. All I've been talking to is two people. Does anyone else have something to say to someone who genuinely wants to be in the culture but has a few questions about what qualifies as Gothic besides Alan and Grausamkeit?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #20
Naunet

Then why does much of it sound like they're bashing their heads against the wall? Most of it isn't soulful the way neoclassical darkwave is.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #21
Grausamkeit

We are the Authority, so suck it.

Your question has been answered. Quit crying.

ETA~ If you are so insecure that you need the opinions of others to feel like you belong somewhere, then don't even bother.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #22
Alan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7SI_3yCNfQ&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogd82OqYGE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqM6Judf-GU&feature=fvst

Oh yeah, some fucking hardcore headbangin' tunes right there.
real classy
Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #23
Naunet

Grausamkeit! I don't want to talk to you anymore! That was the third time that I've reported you to the administration for rudeness. I am not getting anywhere with you anymore. Please stop replying to me.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #24
Naunet

Alan, one more question for you. Does neoclassical darkwave count as Gothic music? If anything sounds Goth that I actually like, it's neoclassical darkwave. Does that count as Gothic music?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #25
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naunet View Post
Grausamkeit! I don't want to talk to you anymore! That was the third time that I've reported you to the administration for rudeness. I am not getting anywhere with you anymore. Please stop replying to me.
If I have infractions why can't I see them?

You are on a public forum. You don't get to pick and choose who responds to your idiocy. Also, do your own damn research.