Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Razeal18

Post the death of Parental Accontability Stupid Cunts

A consumer group says including toys with unhealthful meals is 'creepy and predatory.'
Posted by Karen Datko on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:29 PM
This post comes from Jon Hood at partner site ConsumerAffairs.com.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com..._blg=1,1773787

The Center for Science in the Public Interest has given McDonald's an ultimatum: Do away with the Happy Meal toys or lawyer up.

The Washington, D.C., nonprofit served McDonald's with notice of intent Tuesday, giving the company 30 days to drop the toys before it finds itself defending against a class-action complaint. CSPI contends that including toys with unhealthful "junk food" is illegal under consumer-protection statutes in California, Texas, New Jersey, Massachusetts and the District of Columbia.

CSPI founder Michael Jacobson, who claims to have coined the phrases "empty calories" and "junk food," said, "Multibillion-dollar corporations make parents' job nearly impossible by giving away toys and bombarding kids with slick advertising."

The group went so far as to compare McDonald's with a child molester in a statement. "McDonald's is the stranger in the playground handing out candy to children," said CSPI litigation director Stephen Gardner. "It's a creepy and predatory practice that warrants an injunction."

Difference of opinion
McDonald's sees things differently.

"We couldn't disagree more with the misrepresentation of our food and marketing practices," reads a statement from company spokesman William Whitman. "McDonald's is committed to a responsible approach to our menu, and our Happy Meal offerings. We have added more choice and variety than ever before, a fact that has been widely reported and recognized."

Bing: Fat in fast food
The Happy Meal toy has been a staple of the meal since its introduction in 1979. For a number of years, McDonald's partnered with Disney to provide toys inspired by newly released family films. Disney ended the relationship in 2006, however -- a decision that insiders speculated was based on the increasing amount of scrutiny put on the nutritional value of McDonald's menu choices.

Other challenges
This is hardly the first time McDonald's has faced a potential nutrition-related lawsuit. In 2005, the company settled a suit concerning its use of trans fats, agreeing to pay $7 million to the American Heart Association and $1.5 million for a public advertising campaign alerting the public to the dangers of those fats.

Video: Junk health insurance
In 2008, the company announced that it would begin cooking its fries and other fried items with zero-trans-fat oil.

The CSPI isn't the only one taking on the Happy Meal toy specifically. In April, Santa Clara County, Calif., officially prohibited restaurants from including toys with any high-calorie meals, a category into which Happy Meals fall.

County Supervisor Ken Yeager told The Los Angeles Times that the new ordinance "prevents restaurants from preying on children's love of toys."

What's next?
So what does it all mean? Is it only a matter of time before the Happy Meal toy -- or the Happy Meal itself -- becomes a thing of the past?

Anything is possible, but McDonald's has a strong incentive to keep kids coming through the doors. In 2003, Happy Meals accounted for 20% of the company's business, a number that translates to $3.5 billion annually.

Because your fat ass spoiled brat is not your fault its McDonalds.
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
ape descendant

OMFG... I thought people stopped doing this in the late 1990's... WTF?

It is retarded to tell restaurants what they can and can't give out with their meals.. or tell them what kind of food the can/can't serve as long as its sanitary.

People, if you're kids are fat and gross make them go outside and play.. leave McD's alone.. because their salads are delicious.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Alan

Yeah!! And what's with the government telling tobacco companies they can't advertise to children?!
It's THEIR money to do whatever advertising they want to, and its completely and entirely the parents' responsibility to take care of their children if they don't want them to be influenced by marketing specifically designed to attract them!
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Ben Lahnger

A recent study concluded that if children are given the choice of two servings of the exact same food, and one of them has a cartoon character on it's packaging, they will think the food in the cartoon container tastes better.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yeah!! And what's with the government telling tobacco companies they can't advertise to children?!
It's THEIR money to do whatever advertising they want to, and its completely and entirely the parents' responsibility to take care of their children if they don't want them to be influenced by marketing specifically designed to attract them!
*sniff* I want my flavored cigarettes back. I'm tired of the world being run like we're all children. *sniff* Is it so much to ask... cloves... cherry dreams?

Its a toy with a burger.... so if cigarette companies gave away toys with their cigarettes.. I'd totally buy them.. I love toys.

Be Kind
Old 06-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Angelic Dissonance

If parents didn't WANT to pay for a happy meal, why the hell would they???? I cannot possibly conceive of the parents of a child manipulated by basic advertising techniques could be so pussy as to let the kid force them into buying unhealthy food against the parents' will. If they wanted health food, they'd stop buying velveeta noodles and hot dogs. What parents care about, besides a smile from the child, is shutting that child the hell up, and how are they supposed to do that with plain-ol' burgers?

I'm afraid... we MAY have to bring back corporeal punishment as a form of child-silencing device! But then, without unhealthy food, how will the government controll our population!?!? They'll have to cut heath benefits! Or start kidnapping and 'recycling' anyone without relations, homeless, or imprisoned for life! We'll make a new generation of physically fit, non-obese middle-east invading soldiers out of Soylent Green!

STOP SELLING FOOD TO US TO FEED TO OUR KIDS!!!!!!1!!!1!! THEY CAN HUNTER-GATHER!!!! They'll have to, or how will they obtain the skills necessary to survive the coming Apocolypse?!?!

"....If people didn't like the chemical aftertaste, then why would they eat hot-dogs?"
Neil Gaiman
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
ape descendant

With hot dogs, you light them on fire to burn the excess chemicals off..

Be Kind
Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Razeal18

next post will probubly be against candy companies advertizing to children. we musnt let them develop unhealthy addictions to candy, lest they dont brush their teeth then all happymeals will come in tube form
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Greggles

*Pushes ten pound bag of candy behind me*
Addiction to candy? don be silly haha *Chocolate noms*

Anyway, yeah, this is getting retarded, its like when there people suing McD's Because they were fat. It is up to the parent to decide weather or not they want there kids eating McD's I;m sure by now people can grasp the fact that its not health food and its not the best thing you could eat. The problem is the gov, thinks that people are to stupid to think for them sleves (and why would they want to do that anyway when they can do all the thinking for them) and parents not wanting to have to, i dunno, parent. It sickens me that people cant take accountability for there actions anymore.
Greggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #10
CptSternn

Whereas I can see what they are trying to do and why, it is still pretty silly.

Kids do freak out for Happy Meals toys and other shite gimmicks.

Just like they do for all toys that are shown in adverts during morning cartoons.

It's not that hard to solve the issue without having to invoke a legal campaign though, IMHO.

My kid starts screaming 'SHREK! Go McDonalds! Get Shrek!'

No I tells him. That shite makes ye fat. Ye will be half a horse if yer half a man sure. Do you want to be a big fat fecker do ye?

He calms down and goes back to playing with his legos and watching Spongebob.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
Whereas I can see what they are trying to do and why, it is still pretty silly.

Kids do freak out for Happy Meals toys and other shite gimmicks.

Just like they do for all toys that are shown in adverts during morning cartoons.

It's not that hard to solve the issue without having to invoke a legal campaign though, IMHO.

My kid starts screaming 'SHREK! Go McDonalds! Get Shrek!'

No I tells him. That shite makes ye fat. Ye will be half a horse if yer half a man sure. Do you want to be a big fat fecker do ye?

He calms down and goes back to playing with his legos and watching Spongebob.
Posts like this make me wish we had a "like" button.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
Lady Sorrow

all this reminds me a rant i witness while sitting in a ring amongst stoners lol
Lady Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
vindicatedxjin

Wow... I never really cared for the food much, i just wanted the toys!

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
Solumina

Do people not realize that you can just go in and buy the toys? If your kids wants whatever little crappy toy they are promoting just get them the damn toy if you don't want them to have the crappy food (or just give them a pb&j, some juice and have them go play outside).
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
alchemie

This all comes down to parental accountability and responsibility. And unfortunately, it doesn't happen much anymore.
alchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #16
LenorePoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
*sniff* I want my flavored cigarettes back. I'm tired of the world being run like we're all children. *sniff* Is it so much to ask... cloves... cherry dreams?

Its a toy with a burger.... so if cigarette companies gave away toys with their cigarettes.. I'd totally buy them.. I love toys.
GASP cigarettes that come with toy? I'm totally in.
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #17
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
With hot dogs, you light them on fire to burn the excess chemicals off..
I just eat locally made(this is Wisconsin, known for it's large german population, we know our sausage here) chemical free hot dogs, and avoid that whole ordeal all together.

I just realize the Wisconsin comment could in another context be taken as a penis joke.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #18
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
I just realize the Wisconsin comment could in another context be taken as a penis joke.
And there goes my one-liner.

Anyway, Johnsonville bratwurst, Italians and Polish sausages for the win!
(says another Wisconsin sausage expert! LOL!)

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #19
Scabette

Thing is, kids ARE spoiled as hell. Even when I was little, I was the exception because I didn't get bought fuckloads of junkfood and £100 toys the whole time. Most parents have no clue what they are doing and shouldn't have been allowed to breed.

Also, flavoured cigarettes? With toys? I want. And I don't even smoke any more.
Scabette is offline   Reply With Quote