Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
kitten

Do you sew?

I bought a sewing machine and a bunch of costume patterns from Joanns. I was wondering who else wants to sew thier own cloths. The reason I bought the costume patterns is because they have like seperate pieces, like corsets and stuff i can make sperately and use as regular clothes. I also bought a cloak pattern. I also noticed of you buy material during haloween, you can get some pretty kick ass stuff. I also bough some basic patterns, like a halter top dress, but made it would of black silky material with see-through spider-web material as an overlay. I was wondering how you made your own patterns? Cause as nice as these are, I want some origanal ones. ALSO, do you DIY your old clothes?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
DarkHeartedDemoness

I love sewing! I have this silk dress that I bought at Goodwill about 8 years ago that I hand-dyed bluish-black a couple of years ago, and now it's too small around the waist, so I've decided to modify it further. I've decided to lengthen the bodice with boned black satin, and embellish the front with D-rings and a lace-up. The back has a thousand tiny pearl buttons, and I'm searching desperately for tiny silver skull buttons to replace them. I figure I have a pretty good chance of finding them, too, since it's Halloween season. From the bust up to the neck is white lace, which I've decided to replace with black so that the black is carried throughout the dress (it will echo the boned midsection). When I dyed the dress, all of the white lace got kind of greyish (I was hoping it would go black), so I probably should just replace it all. It's also quite long, and the skirt needs some mending, but I'm hoping to have the whole project done by Halloween.

I don't make my own patterns, persay, but I do frequently alter the patterns I buy. I took a course once that taught me how to tailor-make clothing to fit my measurements exactly.

Actually, this dress I'm modifying will likely take some original pattern-work, too... It's kind of an intimidating project.

Now is a good time to stock up on spooky laces and silks. It's Halloween season, so all your favorite fabric stores will be carrying pretty spooky things.
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
kitten

I love to modify my clothes too! you can just revamp so many of your old clothes. I LOVE Joanns. I got Brocade for 2.00 a yard! i stock up on everything near haloween, lol. I like save my money all year, just to be able to shop during october, lol.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
Ashenstar

I so wish I could sew at all. I made the pillow and the tote bag in home econ. class. That's all though. I really need to sew though..(god that rymed badly) becuase I have so many ideas for clothes! I want to make so many diff things..yet I can do anything with my ideas. I dont even have a sewing machine. Gosh if I could I would sew all the time. My granny was going to teach me but she cant see well enough to sew a straight line. Another lady was going to teach me but she's very sick with fluid in lungs. I don't know anyone else who sews. I was going to take a class at the local community college, but I need a sewing machine for it and I don't have the $$$. Ackt..looks like I'm SOL! hahahaha
Ashenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
omengoddess

*claps maniacally*

Wow... I must be in a good mood tonight.

I love to sew. I started last year before RenFaire; I revamped an old corset and made kind of a loincloth thing, and even a pair of boots.

This year I got to make clothing for the whole group that went. Lets see... robes and a tunic, chemise & dress, 2 kilts, leine, bodice... the list goes on.

I made some patterns and altered others to make them period.

This is how my husband and I turned out...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...006/Image4.jpg

It's great fun. The possibilities are endless.
omengoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:21 AM   #6
badteccy

i have the jist of it, but I'm not very good. I really need to get better because I want to be a fashion designer. Sadly, we left the sewing peddle for our sewing machine at my old house where my dad lives...so, I'm not getting THAT for awhile...damn.
I'm pretty decent at altering though. I alter almost everything I own.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
we_are_138

omengoddess you two look so darling.

I DIY sew. Meaning I own a needle and thread and alter stuff I buy at consignment places. (i.e. making a fall black coat, super victorian goth by adding lace and ribbon to it.)

Does anyone recommend a How to Sew book? I don't have a sewing machine yet but I'd really like to learn.
we_are_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
omengoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by we_are_138
omengoddess you two look so darling.
Thank you!

Quote:
Does anyone recommend a How to Sew book?
Honestly, I would research on the web... it's a lot cheaper than buying a book, plus you're not stuck with one person teaching you; insead you get many tricks and what nots to choose from...

Here's a start:
http://www.sewing.org/
http://www.sewing.com/

Good luck and have fun...
Old 10-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #9
BATANGEL

well i dont sew clothes from scratch...i can but i just done have the patience but i sew patches on to things and like we_are_138 ii add stuff on to existing clothes, i also getr iron transfers and tack them on to tshirts. I can embroider really well and love embroidering celtic designs onto things.......just dont have much time at the moment. Omengoddes..........you both look amazing x
BATANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
Linen

I've sewn costumes before (I was in theatre in high school), but it's been a long time since I've taken on a big sewing project. I've also sewn to repair holes in clothes, as well as making purses out of old pant legs. I've never made everyday clothes from scratch though, but it's something I'd like to look into. My sewing machine is currently at my mother's house and I don't have room for it at the moment, though I can sew by hand OK.

The Halloween patterns is a good idea. I wonder if they'll be on clearance on November 1st along with all the other Halloween stuff, or will they save them for next year?
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #11
DarkHeartedDemoness

Well, I imagine they have sales-- they probably have a shit ton of Pirate costumes in stock, and who knows if Pirates of the Carribean will still be popular next year? I don't know for sure, though.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 10-30-2006, 05:29 PM   #12
humanpettingzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
they probably have a shit ton of Pirate costumes in stock, and who knows if Pirates of the Carribean will still be popular next year?
it BETTER not be. i wanna be a pirate this year but it feels too trendy so i probly wont until next year. although i heard that Marie Antoinette is big this year too.
humanpettingzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:10 AM   #13
Cicero

I recently bought a Jack Sparrow costume pattern, as well as an 18th century court gown pattern. I couldn't resist. I've become so enamoured with 18th century fashion recently... It's a pity it's all rather complicated.

I sew a lot, but I'm not too good at anything intricate. I've mastered the basic turning of large band shirts into tank tops, but ask me to recreate a Victorian wedding dress and I won't know where to start (which is why that particular pattern stays safely hidden away in a drawer... Oh how it taunts me!).

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:32 PM   #14
omengoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
I recently bought a Jack Sparrow costume pattern...
If that pattern would be Simplicity 4923, I'd recommend beginning with the shirt. I believe it's the easiest, and the pants were nothing but a pain for me...

I plan to use that pattern to make the jacket for a friend for the holidays. To be honest, I'm a bit intimidated... so many buttons!! Eek...
Old 10-31-2006, 01:56 PM   #15
msluna

Quote:
Does anyone recommend a How to Sew book? I don't have a sewing machine yet but I'd really like to learn.
I have been sewing since I was a little girl, but I still have a copy of Sewing for Dummies. It's great for all the little basic stuff that can be overlooked. I picked it up at a used book store for a few dollars and it has been worth having around.

Sewing should be a breeze for you because you probably have all the stuff you have to do by hand down. When you go to pick out a machine, you should check out places that fix them. I ended up with a really expensive one for only eighty dollars.
msluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:00 PM   #16
kitten

Well, I wanna sew my prom dress this year...my mom sews alot...she sewed my baby sister a Kimono for hallowe'en.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:39 PM   #17
DarkHeartedDemoness

You should email me... I took a couple of classes at a community college on patternmaking, so I know how to alter patterns to fit you & your ideas.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #18
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
I have lately started sewing and discovered that it is, eh, not an easy business. I would like know, are there any sites where I can find plans of how one should cut the cloth for simple things like sleeves so that they have a form?
Becuase, improvising is a nice thing but having something that resembles what one wanted in the first place is still a great deal better.
I would be really gratefull for any advice.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:16 AM   #19
kitten

darkhearted demonesss, i tried to email you, lol, and it wont let me. this is a pic of hannie-monsters kimono. shes so lucky, lol. She won best overall costume at her school for this one:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...nnahkimono.jpg
Old 11-05-2006, 03:17 AM   #20
kitten

oh yeah...lol...I tried to morf a black wig into geisha hair...but it didnt work...so she went blonde.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:22 AM   #21
DarkHeartedDemoness

Sorry, hun! Yeah, that feature has been acting weird lately. In the future, it's DarkHeartedDemoness@hot mail.com
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 11-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #22
kitten

yay!! I will email yoou!!!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #23
Aude Sapere

I don't use a sewing machine, for some reason, i wasn't able to master that peadle thing ours had. So when i sew, i use my hands with a needle and thread. So far, i make my own gloves and arm warmers that don't have fingers. Its working out well, all my friends love the red and black ones i made with a piece of fishnet material down the middle. They were amazed when i said i made them myself, so maybe i have a knack for this. I use these stockings i bought around halloween time that were on sale for about $2 at walmart. I cut them up, and...yeah. I got inspired to do it one day after watching Project runway. my next project is to get a pair of black pants, but up the sides and sew in this really cool fabric. Then add studs and patches.
Aude Sapere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #24
Minyaliel

I sew, both with machine and hand; I do prefer sewing by hand though, for some odd reason. I believe I've participated in too many arrangements in which you'd be thrown out if you didn't wear a hand- sewn medieval (sp?) dress (yup, they'd bend down to check your seams if in doubt). I've got a few pictures floating around, I'll take a look and see if I can find them =)
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #25
Feralboy101

Apart from repairs, the most recent thing I've made is a fabric mask.
Feralboy101 is offline   Reply With Quote