Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #26
Despanan

We'll be at Under St. Mark's Theatre for Pennys open Mic around 9:30 (we get off of work at nine and go straight there) there's a cheap bar there, and another cheap bar around the corner if you're looking for somewhere we can talk.

That work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #27
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
ITT: Alan is engulfed by his own ego.
I see it as he is enthusiastically sharing what he is learning. I use to do the same thing, get excited about surface wave plasmons and gold nanoantennas used for turning monochromatic wavelengths into other frequencies but after excitedly trying to start a discussion with people and getting back glazed eyes or "And did you know they saved Eisnstein's brain in a jar?" responses I now restrain myself.

Alan: post papers at conferences man, there they will get the focused attention and appreciation your thoughts deserve. Don't cast pearls before cyberswine. Well, except for me. This little piggy will snort up your wisdom anytime. You have already introduced me to many awesome reads, and reminded me of others I had forgotten (Schrödinger's cat).

Peace.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #28
JCC

Enthusiastically sharing what he is learning? He is passing off his second-hand knowledge like he is some kind of precocious genius. His post is just full of arrogant posturing and looking down on others for not understanding the things that he pays to learn at college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
At the very least, you should understand here that I am not talking about being rational; I am talking about the philosophical school of thought called Rationalism (see? more than half of you didn't know that and had you stated your opinion you would have looked ridiculous already)
Do you think we're ten years old, Alan? Maybe you think that we were in a coma until last week and only just learned how to use a knife and fork, and how to eat without dribbling down our stupid, fat three chins. We're all very impressed with these terms that you learned on the first day of your course, we've certainly never heard of Immanuel Kant before. He's the drummer of that krautrock band, right? Or do half of the people here not know what krautrock means? We know what the difference between being rational and rationalism is. If anyone here doesn't, there's nothing wrong with that. Do you know why there's nothing wrong with that? You're the philosophy student. You go and talk to your professor, he tells you things and you chant them back at us like you're brilliant. You're not brilliant, you're another annoying student who thinks he's better than everyone else with his worthless inherited views. The funniest thing is that he obviously has no way of knowing that half of us are unaware what rationalism is, he has merely intuited it from previous judgments. Empiricist my ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Are you following me so far? If so, keep going. If not, fuck off you illiterate twat.
Hey Alan, maybe you should share what you've learned less enthusiastically from now on, because you're a fucking prick. Mexicans are too short to be on such a high horse.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #29
HumanePain

Ok so he enjoys some of his gratuitous snobbery. But didn't Zarathustra desire to share his wisdom? Didn't he come down from the mountain and speak revelations only to have the shallow minded people think he was only introducing an entertainer?

But I do think that if Alan, instead of descending into the gully that is Gnet, he hopped over to an equally high mountaintop or better still, a higher mountain he would quickly adjust his attitude in the presence of other liked minded individuals. It is fortuitous that you are here in the Gnet depths, JCC, to recalibrate Alan to higher altitudes.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #30
vindicatedxjin

Quote:

Hey Alan, maybe you should share what you've learned less enthusiastically from now on, because you're a fucking prick. Mexicans are too short to be on such a high horse.
o_o wow............

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #31
Cruel Intentions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I wasn't referring to you; I understand you. I mean those who think this thread came without context to other discussions in the boards.
Well I didn't want to assume that you were petty enough to go to such effort to academically prove your superiority of people posting in the existance thread. I just thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt but my capacity to think better of this thread is becoming sorely taxed.

That's certainly the impression I'm getting, apologies if I'm wrong. Or why did you really post it?
Cruel Intentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #32
Alan

Quote:
The funniest thing is that he obviously has no way of knowing that half of us are unaware what rationalism is, he has merely intuited it from previous judgments. Empiricist my ass.
Were you trying to make a funny or are you that desperate?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #33
cradle

Quote:
Almost. Using your example of retinas, let's suppose that someone did see the world as being upside down to us.
The important thing is that even though this person is seeing the world different than us, it is because of sense experience which does belong to the world. In this example what is alike in both perspectives is more obvious, but it is also true that regardless of how obfuscated one's perspective of the world might be relative to what's considered real (epistemologically speaking, of course; I'm not talking about ethics), it has to be based on the actual world, and therefore there is no reason to doubt that something objective exists.

Ah, this post did it.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #34
cradle

Quote:
Enthusiastically sharing what he is learning? He is passing off his second-hand knowledge like he is some kind of precocious genius. His post is just full of arrogant posturing and looking down on others for not understanding the things that he pays to learn at college.

Do you think we're ten years old, Alan? Maybe you think that we were in a coma until last week and only just learned how to use a knife and fork, and how to eat without dribbling down our stupid, fat three chins. We're all very impressed with these terms that you learned on the first day of your course, we've certainly never heard of Immanuel Kant before. He's the drummer of that krautrock band, right? Or do half of the people here not know what krautrock means? We know what the difference between being rational and rationalism is. If anyone here doesn't, there's nothing wrong with that. Do you know why there's nothing wrong with that? You're the philosophy student. You go and talk to your professor, he tells you things and you chant them back at us like you're brilliant. You're not brilliant, you're another annoying student who thinks he's better than everyone else with his worthless inherited views. The funniest thing is that he obviously has no way of knowing that half of us are unaware what rationalism is, he has merely intuited it from previous judgments. Empiricist my ass.

Bias is a two sided road, JCC. Not everything you said was true, either.
Being intelligent is not as important as being a good person. Alan, even though you're very intelligent, you should humble up a bit.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #35
Alan

The patronizing bits come from the same place this thread came from: an important lecture people in another discussion need to learn to stop saying ignorant arguments. JCC either won't look for the context of this little lesson or he will militantly ignore it to pretend his indignation is justified.
real classy
Old 08-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #36
JCC

So who was this directed towards?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #37
Alan

Because people do not know this. Now you tell me if you were serious when you said "Alan intuited from previous judgments" you were trying to be funny.
real classy
Old 08-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #38
JCC

Yes, that was a joke.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #39
cradle

Quote:
Because people do not know this. Now you tell me if you were serious when you said "Alan intuited from previous judgments" you were trying to be funny.
Well, keep it up. Ide love to learn more, and see more of these posts.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #40
Cruel Intentions

Quote:
The patronizing bits come from the same place this thread came from: an important lecture people in another discussion need to learn to stop saying ignorant arguments. JCC either won't look for the context of this little lesson or he will militantly ignore it to pretend his indignation is justified.
So the context is that you want to show off to the boards how much better a phillosopher you are compared to the existance thread posters? Come on. I'm struggling to see you on the moral high-ground here, Alan.

Sit down, realise you're being a condescending ass, let it drop and let JCC make an idiot of himself all on his own. He doesn't need your help to do that.

Quote:
He's already established himself as a racist, quite nicely.

And to be honest, as much as a "fucking prick" as you might be being. I'll side with a prick over a racist any day. Don't lower yourself to his level.
Cruel Intentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #41
HumanePain

I hate it when two people I respect fight each other.
:sigh:

Old 08-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #42
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel Intentions View Post
He's already established himself as a racist, quite nicely.

And to be honest, as much as a "fucking prick" as you might be being. I'll side with a prick over a racist any day. Don't lower yourself to his level.
You're not a regular poster so I can't blame you for taking my comment that way but seriously, it was sarcastic, I'm fairly well-established as a bastion of political correctness when it comes down to it.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #43
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
I hate it when two people I respect fight each other.
:sigh:
What I coincidence.

I hate it when two people I fight respect each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #44
Catch

I believe rationalism is another word for pesimist the pesimists made up because they knew everyone would judge them prematurely because it identifies them as someone who always sees how the world went wrong more than right.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #45
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
I dunno, something tells me that in regarding religion as an evil force, somehow a dead language associated with religion specifically, would also be despised.
I would have thought it was more the hoity-toitiness of Latin. It's not really an of-the-people/proletariate thing, is it?
I do like the idea of a universal language that's not a vernacular anywhere, which is rather what Latin was in Europe after the collapse of the Roman empire (and possibly before, even?).
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #46
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
So who was this directed towards?
Quote:
I love watching Alan struggle to answer a direct question. It's like watching a flipped tortoise with mild brain damage try to lecture people on philosophical or political theory.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:04 AM   #47
viscus

He was pissed at vindicatedxjin for describing her bullshit views on things as "post-modernism."

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 AM   #48
vindicatedxjin

I don't think he was pissed at me... I honestly respect Alan in the sense that he truly tries to be logical about stuff. The thing is, if this thread "was" directed towards me, then I don't agree that my thoughts on things fit into the catagory of "arguments". I openly admit that I don't know the truth about anything involving philosophy I'm LEARNING. My thoughts will more than likely change and I truly believe others on this board will too. So I see no sense in trying to prove everyone wrong all the time. It's a waste of energy.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #49
Alan

JCC - what was the point of this?
Alan - people clearly don't know such basic concepts.
JCC - fine, but you're still a pretentious dick.
Alan - I'm ok with it.
Apathy - ... answer the goddamn question!
real classy
Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #50
Apathy's_Child

Jilly, I'm being sincere: you're a day-brightener.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote