Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
300pockets

Location: Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Dimension 3
Lightbulb Geek/nerd chic, but also Goth? Possible?

Hey.

So, I used to only hang out with athletic juniors boys. Now, my friends are mostly freshman-junior boys, all geeks or nerds.

I've been able to be dark and geeky at the same time. I have a black polo, a brown sweater with a white shirt collar sewn in (I don't know the term for those), black shorts, gray and black skirts, jeans, boots, etc

Will other Goths dislike me for not Gothing it up to the nines every day?

Also, can I be a Goth without dressing like a stereotype everyday? I kinda like colors, and so does my mom, and she likes me wearing colors...and I have alot in my closet...(old stuff...haven't shopped for a long time...few years maybe? was the last spree...)
300pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300pockets
You don't have to worry about that, they'll already dislike you for calling yourself a goth and not knowing what goth is.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
300pockets

Uhm, so I have a question.

1. Do I interpret that as an insult to me and my Gothness, as in 'you really don't know what Goth is and shouldn't ever use the word again'?

or

2. The other Goths are stuckup and they themselves don't really know what Goth is all about if they're being super-elitist?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Uhm, so I have a question.

1. Do I interpret that as an insult to me and my Gothness, as in 'you really don't know what Goth is and shouldn't ever use the word again'?

or

2. The other Goths are stuckup and they themselves don't really know what Goth is all about if they're being super-elitist?
Both. Totally both.
Except for the part about elitists not knowing what goth is all about, because conceited back-biting people are the core of the goth subculture.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:

No, we'll perform a jig of death upon your prostrate form with our obnoxiously huge boots of stompy doom for such blasphemy.

Heretic!

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
300pockets

Huh?

So I'm not a Goth and neither is anyone at my school?

Uhm...

(brain implodes)

You owe me a new one.

Pay up.

Hey, no, stop. I see that. You have one over there. No, not there.

Gosh, okay.

Touch your nose.

Okay.

See those 2 holes at the bottom of it?

Yeah. Okay.

Get a fish hook, a thin straw, some tape, and a piece of string.

Tape the hook to the straw. Tape the string to the other end of the straw.

Stick the hook up that hole we mentioned earlier.

Keep pushing.

Keep on pushing!

Okay. That. You know that weird feeling you just had, or random though, or whatever? That means keep pushing.

Tie the string to my side of the internet.

Keep pushing.

When it lodges into your brain, pull! And I'll have a new brain.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
300pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir
No, we'll perform a jig of death upon your prostrate form with our obnoxiously huge boots of stompy doom for such blasphemy.
Please say sarcasm?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Please say sarcasm?

Of course not, we goths don't play around when it comes to our customary dress. I was utterly serious.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
KontanKarite

300P, I have a question.

Have you ever thought of doing something more interesting than goth?

Be experimental. Be crazy. Like the music you like, dress how ever you want to. Do what you want whenever you want. You don't need any justification for your existence except that you make it so.

If that means you become a wacked out looking mutant clown chicken, then all the better.

I'd rather see you take elements of what is considered goth fashion and do something entirely unique and different with it. I'd rather see you be yourself.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
300pockets

More interesting than Goth, you say? Blasphemous!

First year in highschool, I'm trying to find a niche.

Can I still post here without being a superGoth?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
KontanKarite

Seriously, I wouldn't sweat it. You're young and hell, if you want to learn about the goth subculture, go for it.

Start with the music though. Seriously. As odd as it is, that's really number 1 with it all.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
300pockets

What if I listen to the music but decide I don't like it?

Can I just like the darkness of being a Goth?

Like, I have a few Goth friends (less than 7) and they like some Goth music, but I don't hang out with the uberGoths at my school...they kinda think I'm too happy.

But I like being a nerd and playing Chaotic/Lawful Evil...
Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
KontanKarite

That's the thing. Who CARES, right? I mean, go ahead and wear black fishnets and lace. You don't have to like Bauhaus to be able to don a black dress and combat boots. Heh.

Besides, I'm sure you'll like it. So you like upbeat?

Try All Gone Dead, Tragic Black, Virgin Prunes, Alien Sex Fiend, and Sex Gang Children. Sexbeat is also a good one if you like upbeat. The Damed as well. Holy shit, you know what, just go to the music section of the forum or I can link you to a site where you can download DJ Fact.50's playlists and get a plethora of awesome post punk era music.

It's like this, really. If you're a fan of Goth rock and identify with goth rock, then that pretty much makes you a goth. :-/

Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
300pockets

So far, I like the song "Baby Turns Blue" by the Virgin Prunes
Old 03-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
KontanKarite

Of course. That song is fucking amazing!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #16
300pockets

Totally. And it's the only one that would load on their MySpace for me.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #17
KontanKarite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_snDKg48VQo

This band is actually one of my personal favorites. They're more of a darkwave band. But darkwave is very goth friendly.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
ionic_angel

300, I'm probably what would be considered more..."goth", in terms of music and aesthetics, but I really gotta say...

Who cares whether you're ubergoth or not? Be you. (Aesthetically.)

Now, I'd really suggest you try some goth music, Siouxsie, Nephilim, Sisters of Mercy or whatnot, but only because you might actually really enjoy them.

However, if you want stereotypical goth, but still like colors, go for purples and reds. You can't miss with those. Or try a "perky goth" look. It's always fun to mock society by pretending to be even happier than the bubble-gum/valley girl types.

Whatever you want, really. :-)
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #19
Corpsey

Go Cruxshadows and Switchblade Symphony if you're in search of good darkwave. Clothing-wise? Yeesh. Wear whatever. Go green lime silk Thai Fisherman pants if you want to be outrageous. Black is so 80's.... Lime green stands out way more.

Plus, when all those black-laden Goths are frying under the sun, you can take advantage of the fact that Green Thai silk Fisherman pants are made of silk and perfect for hot weather. And damn comfy.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:21 AM   #20
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
What if I listen to the music but decide I don't like it?

Can I just like the darkness of being a Goth?
See, that's the thing. Contrary to the belief that prevails among the youth of today, Goth is a music subculture. There are other elements of it, certainly, as is the case with all social groups of its kind, but the bands around which it originally coalesced are still, and likely will remain for some time, its Alpha and Omega. Someone who wears only turquoise and listens to Bauhaus is more goth than an MCR fan whose clothes make the room seem darker.
If you don't know goth music, yet persist in identifying with the group because you "like the darkness" or "want a niche", you're liable to piss off more goths than any wardrobe decision ever could.
I personally don't care what you, a stranger on the internet, do, as I believe the good name of "goth" can no longer be salvaged from the taint of association with School Shooters and, even worse, MARILYN MANSON. I'm just letting you know straight up before you get bitched out by some Patricia Morrison wannabe with big hair and and an even bigger peg up her ass.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #21
I_shit_bats

Quote:
Hey.

So, I used to only hang out with athletic juniors boys. Now, my friends are mostly freshman-junior boys, all geeks or nerds.

I've been able to be dark and geeky at the same time. I have a black polo, a brown sweater with a white shirt collar sewn in (I don't know the term for those), black shorts, gray and black skirts, jeans, boots, etc

Also, can I be a Goth without dressing like a stereotype everyday? I kinda like colors, and so does my mom, and she likes me wearing colors...and I have alot in my closet...(old stuff...haven't shopped for a long time...few years maybe? was the last spree...)
wow this is fucking stupid first of all labels themselves are gay second you shouldn't give shit what anyone else thinks you should be yourself goth in my personal opinion is a musical genre derived from punk including death rock industrial and some metal genres the fashion is just what people are aesthetically attracted to and the people who enjoy those genres tend to enjoy similar clothing styles this does not mean you have too be yourself not a fucking clone
I_shit_bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #22
GratefulGrunger

junior boys? what is that.. 8'th grade? I assume you're somewhere there?

Jesus fucking christ, pockets. when I was in fucking elementry school I weren't any where near shallow as you are. Fucking hell with you...

Everything is in possible. or atleast in being yourself. you can be, an active death cult member, while you are also a peace seeking vegan that runs the PETA headquarters. catch my drift? no? then you truly.. but truly.. deserve to be tormented in my basement.

gothicusmaximus, L'Oiseau Noir, and I_shit_bats.. I salute thee.

and all the rest, struggling with this... 300pockets.. you guys are way too nice. I salute thee also... for showing this wonderful patience.

sorry for being harsh, kid. I am most certain that SOMEDAY you will develop into an intelectual being... stay on this forum and absrob the knowledge. calm down and cleanese your mind... *ohhhmmmmm*
GratefulGrunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #23
300pockets

High school in America:

9th grade - 14 turning 15 - Freshman
10th - 15 2 16 - Sophomores
11th - 16 2 17 - Juniors
12th - 17 2 18 - seniors

So, most of my friends are 16 or 17, 2 or 3 years older than me.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #24
GratefulGrunger

Cool! thank you.

I'm 15 too. though, one class above you. and I am very similiar to you about the friends part. my friends were always above me by age. and currently, most of my friends, too, are juniors and seniors.
GratefulGrunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #25
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_shit_bats
wow this is fucking stupid first of all labels themselves are gay second you shouldn't give shit what anyone else thinks you should be yourself goth in my personal opinion is a musical genre derived from punk including death rock industrial and some metal genres the fashion is just what people are aesthetically attracted to and the people who enjoy those genres tend to enjoy similar clothing styles this does not mean you have too be yourself not a fucking clone
Kay, first off; learn basic punctuation.

Secondly, Labels aren't fucking gay, they're not even human. There's nothing wrong with labelling, providing they're not misused.

Also Industrial has nothing to do with goth. They're both derived from punk but that's it. Their subcultures tend to be associated with each other because of the similarities in style etc. But they are very very veryyyy different.

Are you a "fucking clone" then? You're posting on gothic.net; more or less labelling yourself.

All in all, don't start ignorantly flaming people for the sake of it.

And please post an introduction. It's part of the RuLezzz.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote