Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #551
Saya

CANDY nom nom nom.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #552
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelitexl View Post
never mind found out i had spilled battery acid on my pants at work is what did it
Battery acid?!? Crap! I would have been wishing it was flaming hot cheetos. Hope you're okay.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:23 AM   #553
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
The danger of this virus is its heightened contagiousness, and that due to the sheer volume of people contracting it the virus will cause greater numbers of hospitalizations and deaths among the at risk population (the young, pregnant mothers and people with compromised immune systems.)

It's not time for Chicken Little to run around crying, "The sky is falling." On the other hand, it is time to get everyone to take this seriously, and do what they can to minimize their own risk.
I was only talking about comparative death rates between normal flu and swine flu in young adults - those normally more resistant to illness. Which is a difference but not necessarily a reason for it being any more deadly overall. That would depend more on a death rate over all ages and on how virulent the flu is, I think that's what you were talking about.

http://www.scientistlive.com/Europea...e_storm/22285/

There are many articles about this but as far as I'm aware it's not really supported by any data.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #554
Sinjob

The fun has only begun!
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #555
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
I was only talking about comparative death rates between normal flu and swine flu in young adults - those normally more resistant to illness. Which is a difference but not necessarily a reason for it being any more deadly overall. That would depend more on a death rate over all ages and on how virulent the flu is, I think that's what you were talking about.

http://www.scientistlive.com/Europea...e_storm/22285/

There are many articles about this but as far as I'm aware it's not really supported by any data.
Well, I don't recognize your source as one of the leading, credibile sources for that kind of information. That could be just because I've never heard of them. On the other hand, I did post a supporting link from a known, credible source:

Quote:
Between 1.8 million and 5.7 million Americans caught pandemic H1N1 influenza this spring, as many as 21,000 were hospitalized and perhaps 800 died, according to new estimates by researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The estimates are necessary because many cases are not reported to public health authorities and the CDC stopped requiring laboratory confirmation of new cases because the labs were becoming overwhelmed.

SOURCE
Again, when the worst-case projections estimate that as many as one third of the populace may contact a certain illness, speculation about how relatively deadly the disease may be become much less meaningful. The numbers of people who are hospitalized or killed by H1N1 are surpassing those caused by supposedly far more "deadly" flu viruses. And the flu season is just getting started.

Also, that comment at the end of my quote bears attention, as hopsital emergency rooms are beginning to be overwhelmed as well. And while some of that is due to people who are not genuinely sick with H1N1, the numbers are increasing at a rate that had one hospital administrator I saw interviewed on TV concerned about capacity and resources.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 11-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #556
Ben Lahnger

On a completely unrelated note ...

This is the t-shirt I'm wearing later today! Yeah!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 11-01-2009, 02:31 AM   #557
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Just finished using Google to see if I have Leprosy. The answer:

highly unlikely.

Thankyou Google!

I'm still getting these skin discolourations, pangs of minor pain and numbness investigated by a Doc sometime.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:40 AM   #558
Still Jack

The Halloween party was the fucking shiznit. We ended up going to a disused farm and piled up a cart with straw and jumped from the second story into the straw. We had a barbecue, set fire to some stuff, got unfeasibly drunk and hat a tremendous amount of fun.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #559
honeythorn

Whitby was good. Faith and the Muse were splendid. I attempted to lessen my mild-ish hydrophobia and made myself go on a little boat trip round the bay. Good stuff.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #560
Raptor

This weekend has been great fun despite the large amount of time spent trying to get between places. Two awesome Halloween parties, a short DJ set, and generally lots of time spent with people I like and pizza.

Quote:
Well, I don't recognize your source as one of the leading, credibile sources for that kind of information. That could be just because I've never heard of them. On the other hand, I did post a supporting link from a known, credible source
They both link to peer reviewed journals. I read the one yours linked to, mine links to a journal which isn't free. On yours the numbers hospitalized per 100000 are higher in predictions for the age groups that would include young adults compared to those that include the oldest people or youngest children, however they stated that their simulation method didn't take age into account very well and they broke the results down into very large age groups.

Quote:
speculation about how relatively deadly the disease may be become much less meaningful.
Not really. Relatively deadly in different age groups is what I said, and if it is indeed affecting those usually at less risk, and is due to immune systems overreacting then that affects the treatment given to them I believe. That and I find it interesting.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #561
homelitexl

Quote:
Battery acid?!? Crap! I would have been wishing it was flaming hot cheetos. Hope you're okay.
kinda dr said odds are im sterile and wont ever get an erection again
homelitexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #562
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Not really. Relatively deadly in different age groups is what I said, and if it is indeed affecting those usually at less risk, and is due to immune systems overreacting then that affects the treatment given to them I believe. That and I find it interesting.
Well, they say ignorance is bliss. So, I hope you're happy.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #563
Delkaetre

I must remember not to go to AntiChrist again. While it picked up later in the night, the club was still a mess.
The couples' room was right next to the Noise-Industrial Arena, so there was no chance of being able to whisper something to your lover. Random individuals got in from time to time as well, despite someone on door being there for the sole reason of making sure it was couples only.
The chillout area was nearly as loud as all the rest of the club, so actually chilling out was a little bit inhibited. A chillout area is traditionally a place to sit down, have a drink, chat to your friends and regroup before heading for more fun. Not easy in this one.
The "goth" area sounded exactly like the noise-industrial area. I thought I heard some Nephilim around 11pm, but nothing remotely close after that.
The smoking area was roped off into a tiny enclosure- moving the cordon back just a short way would have doubled the available space.
I did like the dungeon's one-in-one-out policy, to prevent crowding and give players space to swing a flogger. I noticed that a great many of those present were not playing- it was the quietest room short of going out into the 2am chill to get some peace. There was a good range of furniture, and Dungeon Monitors were on hand to make sure that no one did anything stupid or hogged the furniture for too long if lots of people were waiting.
The club advertised itself as goth, industrial and fetish, with a large chillout area and six different feature rooms. What it appeared to be was Slimelight with some latex and halloween costumes jammed in.
But I have learned, and will not be going to AntiChrist again.

Didn't get to see Faith And The Muse on Sunday night, as they didn't arrive till half an hour before I had to leave, and hadn't finished setting up by the time I *had* to leave or miss my last train home. I'm not sure how it can possibly take more than twelve hours to get from Yorkshire to London unless you're travelling by mobility scooter. But the promoter was very kind and understanding, and gave me a full refund. Totally not her fault that the band was late, but I am very grateful for the refund.

On a better note, we saw Colin, the zombie movie. It's really quite sweet and touching in its own strange way.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #564
Still Jack

Yesterday night at Marco's party some twat bought me a full tank of gas to go on a beer hunt, because I was the only sober driver at the party. I win.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 AM   #565
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
I must remember not to go to AntiChrist again. While it picked up later in the night, the club was still a mess.
Dead and Buried was on, would you be interested in the next one? There won't be any noise-industrial there, but nothing fetish either.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #566
Stormtrooper of Death

Halloween party was very excellent this weekend, everybody looked great!

Hopefully going to the record store with some friends this next weekend!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #567
honeythorn

I've worked fucking hard for this KitKat. All that walking the weekend and Arobics tonight. I can't rush it and just NOM, first there is the dipping in hot coffee and then the chocolate removal in ways that look distinctly like I am fellating the poor thing *laughs* Still nom though.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #568
Delkaetre

Dead and Buried was the Saturday, AC was the Friday- Daz was working door both nights, and I swear I saw Cavey Nik and his latest female at AC. We'd been intending Vagabonds on Saturday rather than D&B, but the Gent was too tired to go out.

I think I just need to stop hoping for a blend of goth and fetish, because it's just not looking possible. I was only at AC because it was goth-fetish-industrial, otherwise I'd just have said fuckit and gone to one of the other events.

In terms of regular attendance at goth clubs, D&B clashes quite frequently with Vagabonds, or with times when I have no money. It's harder for me to get to than Vagabonds, the venue isn't as pretty, the bar isn't as well stocked, fewer of my friends go to it, and I really get the feeling that the patrons are looking at me with a Deathrockier-than-thou look.

That last bit possibly being my own brain asking "why isn't your hair all big and green and backcombed, hmm? Why aren't you in zombie makeup?" rather than any of the patrons doing it.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #569
Ben Lahnger

Let's get this over with:

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 11-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #570
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
Dead and Buried was the Saturday, AC was the Friday- Daz was working door both nights, and I swear I saw Cavey Nik and his latest female at AC. We'd been intending Vagabonds on Saturday rather than D&B, but the Gent was too tired to go out.

I think I just need to stop hoping for a blend of goth and fetish, because it's just not looking possible. I was only at AC because it was goth-fetish-industrial, otherwise I'd just have said fuckit and gone to one of the other events.

In terms of regular attendance at goth clubs, D&B clashes quite frequently with Vagabonds, or with times when I have no money. It's harder for me to get to than Vagabonds, the venue isn't as pretty, the bar isn't as well stocked, fewer of my friends go to it, and I really get the feeling that the patrons are looking at me with a Deathrockier-than-thou look.

That last bit possibly being my own brain asking "why isn't your hair all big and green and backcombed, hmm? Why aren't you in zombie makeup?" rather than any of the patrons doing it.
Ah I think I'm getting AC and TG mixed up. I think TG was on Saturday along with Dead and Buried.

I might have to look into Vagabonds at some point, I haven't really been to clubs in London besides D&B and Slimes. Yeah the bar is pretty small at D&B, though Nik is doing the second Happy Funeral Party soon and that has a different venue. I'm not sure what it's like there, I didn't make it to the last one. Most people there seem friendly, hopefully the big hair thing was just your imagination like you said.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #571
vindicatedxjin

They opened up a sprouts right by my house and I"M SO EXCITED!!!

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #572
Pineapple_Juice

WANT CHICKEN in a BISCUIT! WHY? SO not VEGAN.

Hope I'm not preggerz.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #573
vindicatedxjin

^_^ mmm that sounds good actually.... chick fila?

Bring Kontan Back
Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #574
Pineapple_Juice

No not Chick-fil-A. It's a cracker called Chicken in a Biskit.

Best cracker ever.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #575
vindicatedxjin

What the heck, I've never seen those in my life??? Must not sell them in the south 0.o

Bring Kontan Back