Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
Elder

What do you wear to work?

How lenient are you bosses?
Would you consider yourself a corporate goth, or do you need to go "normal" to the office/shop/factory?

What sort of thing do you wear?
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
LittleMissTaxidermy

i wear nursing scrubs. all of them are black with a heart stitched onto the sleeve.
LittleMissTaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
Ash60988

I work from my home and i wear all black like i am going to a funeral...and that always makes me happy.
Ash60988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
Elder

Cool. I like the idea of black nurses scrubs.
My dentist is indian, and instead of a normal all white dentist's uniform, she sometimes wears all black. And it really suits her.

I would to be able to work from home and wear what I want, just started a new trial period with new firm, office wear I was told was smart casual. So I've been going in, in black short sleeved shirt, T shirt, and black brushed cotton jeans, with slip on black suede trainers/loafers.
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:16 AM   #5
Nemesis

Well at the moment I'm at college so I only work part time in a restaurant and we have a uniform there so I have to wear that, but to be honest I don't think that to be goth you have to dress like it all the time even to work , sometimes that can be a little OTT
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
Iriacynthe

I don't work, but I do have to dress rather conservatively for oral exams. I tend to overdress a little bit sometimes, but most professors seem to appreciate that. I almost always wear knee-length skirts, mostly with black stockings unless when it's really hot, elegant blouses which have that little extra thing (like lace trims), and some classic jewelry. I keep my hair and make-up pretty basic, and wear feminine shoes with tiny heels. I don't wear more colors than I usually do, black is in fact a safe choice when you want to go for classic and elegant (obviously, that doesn't include black lipstick or black leather).

(In fact we can get away with a lot, oral exams aren't that formal in our faculty, but I like to go on the safe side with clothes, and I must admit I like to dress up in a more classic and conservative manner once in a while.)
Iriacynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
Persephone Hazard

When I was working, I dressed pretty much the same as I usually do. As I was on my feet all day, I wore flats instead of four-inch spike heels and I kept the necklines slightly more conservative than I would at home. Other than that...
Persephone Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
Belos

I work in a corporate setting, with a high "good old boy" upper management structure.

I have no problems wearing as much black as I want (which IS my preferred color) but it's more the high-preacher collar shirts if I want to avoid the neck tie. Otherwise, getting by on black pants and shoes never makes another office person stare. My director finally noticed that I was in black (all) every day of the year almost and finally spotted what styles of rings and collar pins I wear and did the 2 + 2 thing. I'm fortunate that she has no problem with my tastes
Belos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
PersephoneX

i have to start dressing more respectably... i hate the idea!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #10
Belos

What sort of enviroment are you in?

You may have more flexibility that you are thinking of right now.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
Minyaliel

I'm starting in a new academy this august, so I'm still at school, but when it comes to work, I've found that it's hard to get anything if you're in all- black clothes here. Still, I've seen (not that I care) that black and grey clothing will be fashionable this autumn - perhaps that'll give me a better chance :P
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:13 PM   #12
PersephoneX

i'm in an office with very staunch people. who have very set ideas of what's ok... its sad...
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 07-31-2006, 11:15 PM   #13
PersephoneX

and to make matters worse, i'm the office baby...at 19...
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 08-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #14
Belos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersephoneX
i'm in an office with very staunch people. who have very set ideas of what's ok... its sad...
Ouch.

been there, no fun at all!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #15
PersephoneX

but because of my profession, i dont get to work nights, or wear anything i like...
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 08-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #16
Bloodrayngoth

to be goth and go to work every day, i do look a bit goth but i do try and not scare clients away so i wear black basically even high heel shoes but goth look and a normal look, possibly a gothic blouse that just loosk normal :P
Bloodrayngoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #17
PersephoneX

it sucks that we have to stop being a specific way or dressing a specific way for the sake of people who will never ever know us as individuals.
its like: i get to work, i fix a pc or a server, setup a firewall, sit at my desk and type some e-mail and i go home and take my boredom out on my bass...
i'm a punk...and i dont want to have to change for society...they can change for me!
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 08-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #18
Salder

i wear black globes i got for free when i bought overpriced chucks, a pair of black cargo pants that i got from and army surplus store and a plain black tee i got from that very same army surplus store and a studded belt fromhot topic that nobody ever sees because i do not tuck in my shirt
Salder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:58 AM   #19
Minyaliel

You're going to laugh... Usually, I just wear a comfy training suit and a top/ tee. Being an actress is fun. =) And really, skirts and corsets are unpractical when acting or improvising. That's what the costumes are for, you know... just being a general nuisance when they are in your way
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #20
Frozeninside

Sadly I work in fast food so I have a uniform to wear. So the only way to show some of my own personality in my work life is through my make up. So far the only thing my boss as said to me was no more black nail polish.
Frozeninside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:49 AM   #21
Mr_Knuckles

the only thing my employer has a problem with is my peircings. I had 4 guage spikes in my ears previous to being hired. Now they've grown together. *sad face* But other than that no problems really.
Mr_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #22
Argine

I work part-time in a drinks place, we don't have a uniform just a black apron. To work I usually wear just basics - black pants and a black t-shirt with running shoes - and no makeup, jewelry or nail polish. Going all gothy to work isn't necessary and I'm not going to try it on my boss, especially since I've only worked there for a month. I feel I'm better off looking pretty much ordinary, I have a "normal" hair colour (henna red) so that's not a problem. I am considering a lip piercing, but I'd take that out for work.
Argine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:02 AM   #23
Neurosis

Over the summer, I worked in the daycare with children ages 2-5. The "higher ranking" people weren't so strict as to clothing wear. Simply just not to wear clothing that revealed major parts of your body, as to not influence the childrent into believing that "slutty" (for lack of a better word) clothes are acceptable.

I would usually wear the makeup (excluding black lipstick), black pants, sparangily wear a few studded bracelets, and sneakers. It was mandatory to wear the over-sized blue uniform shirt, but at least I was allowed to dress slightly more than remotly Goth.

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 AM   #24
Neurosis

Here's a picture of me at my summer job, blowing out birthday candles. This is what I commonly wore in my job.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...06/242eop1.jpg

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #25
Child_of_Fury

I'm usually sticking with my good old camo pants and army boots, and some hooded sweater I come across in the morning. I also wear finger-less leather gloves that thankfully guard the sore skin in my palms (I had a nasty motorcycle accident and I busted my hands). I, however, wear pretty heavy eye-makeup. I only wear lipstick if I'm attentind some "special occasion", since I drink a lot of coffee during the days, which kisses my lipstick goodbye. I don't get much rant about my looks, and those who rant will soon note I'm not interested.
Child_of_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote