Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Lackluster_Heavens

Gnosticism

I recently heard a little bit about gnositicism(sp?) and I was wondering if anyone could direct me to some good books on it?
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Lackluster_Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
Lackluster_Heavens

Many thanks Xng, I was simply wondering if someone well read in it could recommend the "best" books on it.
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
Lackluster_Heavens

Quite true, I had forgotten that Amazon allows you to do that.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Metatron

Aleister Crowley has some good books that cover both Gnosticism and Agnosticism...anything by him is officially recommended to you by me.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
pitseleh

I have a book called "Gender and Androgynity" that has an informative chapter on Gnostics. It's Norwegian, though. Their view of God (or, God's mother actually) and the duality of sexes, love and such, is very interesting and inspiring.

I'll maybe get back to this sometime when I'm less on my way to bed.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Sobeh

It depends what you want to get out of it. I say, if you think you're up for it, cut out the middle man and go straight for the gnostic texts themselves; these are searchable under the rubric of the Nag Hammadi Library.

For an authority, anything written by Elaine Pagels has the backing of academia. Crowley isn't an objective source for much of anything, but he does come out of the tradition of 18th century Western esotericism, so he's a good source for that - gnosticism is different though.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
Lackluster_Heavens

Alright, thank you all for the suggestions.
Pitseleh, that book sounds fascinating, is there any translations of it that I could purchase?
And yes Sobeh, cutting out the middle man would be awsome, so i'll definatly check out Nag Hammadi Library.
Metatron, as in Enoch(sp?)?