Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Catch

The Conqueror Worm: Edgar Allan Poe

If there is a deeper meaning to the poem, what do you think it is?

This is on the Internet, has an idea about the metephore. If I am following correctly when the phantom leaves and comes back, that is drug abuse to escape reality.

http://www.printnpost.com/articles/6...orm/Page1.html
Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
electrosexual

It's a beautiful poem, but I simply can't find a deeper meaning to it (even though I'm almost certain it's there).

You might be interested to know the Sopor Aeternus sang this poem in one of her songs (Entitled "The Conqueror Worm").
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
He thrusts grim reality into the face of the reader: we are all ultimately wormfood.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
YuriBR

I agree with HumanePain. I believe this is a poem about how insignificant we really are.
YuriBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Catch

How insignificant we are or how we need not cling to earthly things?
Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 AM   #6
Tin_Lizzie

Poe's work often echoes Shakespeare for me. The Conqueror Worm most reminds me of Macbeth's soliloquy: "Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more." But then Poe carries it even further by showing us the masquerade we live through, from the viewpoint of angels who are unable to interfere. The worm represents our mortality, the inevitability of death.

I think Poe was expressing the futility of life in this poem. We cling to earthly things, but to no avail. Death overtakes us all.
Tin_Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Catch

Yes, I have read the text books also. Truth be told, I wrote that article. Thought maybe if no one knew it was me, might get something useful. Luckily, everyone has taken English.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #8
Tin_Lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
Yes, I have read the text books also. Truth be told, I wrote that article. Thought maybe if no one knew it was me, might get something useful. Luckily, everyone has taken English.
*sigh* I suppose I should be flattered that you thought I didn't write my response? That you assumed anything so erudite must come from a textbook? I assure you that I read critically and formulate opinions all on my own without Cliff Notes. Mistakenly I assumed that you wanted to have an intelligent discussion. I guess that makes asses of us both.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Catch

Sorry. I thought that is what you were doing. I have taken advanced English and that is how the poem is normally inturpreted. My interpretation isn't far off from something similar, it just probes deeper into the specific meaning and evolves a slighly differnt outcome.

"Eldorado" is another poem by Edgar Allan Poe that is less definite in its meaning. I propose making this the Edgar Allan Poe thread; instead of, dedicating a new thread to all of his poetry. Here is my inturpretation, along with the poem, "Eldorado."

http://www.printnpost.com/articles/6...Poe/Page1.html
Old 05-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Tin_Lizzie

My bachelor’s in English Lit is a bit dusty, so maybe my interpretations sound stale. It’s fun to talk Lit-Crit again. Thanks.

The sing-song quality of “Eldorado” sets it apart from Poe’s usual work. I notice he uses a simple rhyme scheme and a 4-4-7 or 4-4-8 pattern to his meter. The allegory can be read easily - a knight on an impossible quest symbolizing man’s search for meaning. Jung wrote about the shadow-self and how we need to integrate our shadow in order to become a complete person. Perhaps the shadow is the knight’s subconscious mind, first touching his heart and then appearing to him when he’s physically exhausted. After searching through the temporal world without finding paradise, the knight is directed to the spiritual world beyond. Not necessarily death, but a turning away from fame and material wealth to seek something higher.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
Catch

. . . but Eldorado stills means happiness.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
I propose making this the Edgar Allan Poe thread; instead of, dedicating a new thread to all of his poetry.
Sorry, but I already beat you to it:

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=4399

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
Drake Dun

HP, Yuri, and Lizzie have it. The poem is about hubris, and it's Poe's best work IMO, although "Alone" is also top notch.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
XxBloodyrosexX

can you tell I'm a poe fanatic? Well for me I feel that it means we can't just watch our lives and the lives of others just play out and not search for anything, because though ppl do bad thing and some good if we don't do things to change while we're alive, nothing will change, but in the end, leave lagacy or none we will all die and we can't all live on, so even though you may make a differnce, wwe'll all end the same. but still what's the use of looking on at an empty face and having an empty life? That's my view. P.S Poe is da Bomb!
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
Catch

You know what would be nice, a search engine for threads.

Yes. Poe the Bomb.