Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
lady_cthulhu

Struggling to Cough Up Some Prose

Hey all - any of you out there got any good strategies for defeating writer's block? Because I am neck deep in it, and I've got a deadline coming up. I've got to produce a 300-some page novel by January of next year and I've got...five pages, and a crap-load of scrapped notes and a chapter outline that's about as stable as water.

Any thoughts?
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Apathy's_Child

Where are you with it - do you have the story plotted, or just a concept & a prayer right now?

When I'm writing longer pieces, I find it's helpful to start with the chapters or chapter sections you're most eager to get into. Pivotal events/most dramatic sections are often a good place to start for me with character building, otherwise I just wind up overblowing them if I try to keep the writing too strictly linear.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
lady_cthulhu

I've got a pretty solid concept, even some idea as to what actions occur where and when - the whole set is an intended trilogy, so even have a rough idea for what needs to happen in the final book. My chapter outline that does exist is pretty detailed; the problem I'm having is actually writing at all. Anytime I pick up on any part of the book, I get an almost immediate headache.

I've tried the picking up a part I'm eager to write part, and it does work pretty good. I think right now I'm just so burned out on it. I've been working on this series since 2004, but I stopped writing for two years after finishing it. Now that the first book is out though...I'll be in trouble if I can't get this going soon. So I'm really rusty, and my brain is full of nothing. Any suggestions for beating past it all?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Solumina

Sounds like you really aren't sure that you even like what you are trying to write. How much room do you have to change things?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Apathy's_Child

In that case, just discipline, I guess. Treat it like a job rather than waiting for it to "come" to you. I guess if you've still got even a small amount of plotting to do, you could try working on that for now - it might give you a chance to revise it into something new and revitalized enough to pull you out of the "so fucking sick of looking at this thing" rut.

What's it about, out of interest?

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
lady_cthulhu

I have fairly fluid room - I could change things all I want, as long as I don't kill anyone off before the third book who isn't supposed to be dead by then etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with the plot itself - as in, I have no personal issues with it - I'm just choking on creating it.

Or maybe I have issues, but more with myself than the work.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
lady_cthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
In that case, just discipline, I guess. Treat it like a job rather than waiting for it to "come" to you. I guess if you've still got even a small amount of plotting to do, you could try working on that for now - it might give you a chance to revise it into something new and revitalized enough to pull you out of the "so fucking sick of looking at this thing" rut.

What's it about, out of interest?
Hmm, you may be right about the plotting, it's a much more straightforward task and less likely to have me banging my head against the wall. I will try that.

The story itself is about a vampire who's turned against her will, but there's a metaplot involving a mad vampire trying to kill one specific vampire, by killing off all blood-bearing life in the world. Mostly the first book focuses on her trying to find a balance as a vampire and facing the one who turned her (initially she just runs away from him).

The second book deals with how she handles the aftermath of her facing her creator and him destroying some things very precious to her before she took him out, as well as uncovering the metaplot and deciding whether or not to do anything about it. Not your standard goody-vampire, I promise; she's got no qualms against killing, it's part of what she is. There's more, but this post is already really long.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
JCC

Oh God, vampire fiction. Anyway, read some books. I find that I always feel writing more after reading a good book to get the creative juices flowing.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
lady_cthulhu

Thanks everyone - I think I'm ready to start attacking this thing from different angles. Much appreciated!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #10
ape descendant

Go for a walk in the moonlight.. take a small voice recorder with you for notes. I am not terribly good with writing, but I seem to always have the best creative ideas when I'm doing something else.. like walking or dishes.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
lady_cthulhu

Thanks Miss Descendant - I will give that a shot.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
allyssa

drink two glasses of absinthe and record visions while thinking about the plot, it should take you into detail and depths you wouldn't be able to access normally.
wormwood effects the occipital lobe which is the center of language and vision.
That is why after drinking it for some years you will see giant birds swooping down, panthers or most commonly you will attend your own funeral, yet continue living...
allyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
lady_cthulhu

A tempting idea - if only absinthe weren't $60/bottle! ;( Alas, no hallucinations for the perpetually broke...
Old 07-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
allyssa

if there is an absinthe bar near you, hills is usually served but it is potent enough for the effects of the wormwood to last about one week. one glass would be about 12$. I order mine from alandia, in switzerland and have fell in love with le bleu, which louches to a beautiful aqua color and has additional herbs and citrus after notes....luckily I live in montreal and their is no limit to the thujone content of the absinthe! vive la nouvelle france!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Admiral_Happypants

One thing that can help me is to have another piece to work on that isn't related to the other. Often times when I get my head out of one story and into another I tend to get ideas for the project I'm having trouble on. Keeps you writing but lets you take a mental break from the block.
Admiral_Happypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #16
lady_cthulhu

Hi Admiral!
Thanks for the tip, I have a story I'm working on aside from the book, but I mainly think that I "racka disaprine", to quote South Park. I'm working on it though.

Allyssa, that does sound delicious! Alas, even a $12 drink is a bit much for me (lower enlisted in the Army do not make a lot of money), and I think I should be working this out on my own rather than depending on a substance to produce answers, no matter how tasty it may be. That and the US regulates thujone content, so there's no guarantee it would work anyway
Old 07-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #17
allyssa

perhaps, it is the fact that you write vampire fiction..hasn't that already been done to death, then resurrected only be even cheesier than original anne rice work...i don't think anyone can quite compete with interview with a vampire, it usually only ends up being geared for adolescent fantasy....
Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #18
lady_cthulhu

I'm afraid I have to disagree on that one. There have been plenty of vampire works since Anne Rice that I have enjoyed. Personally, I don't care for her style, it just doesn't work for me - so I think it's really a matter of taste. I enjoyed the early Laurell K. Hamiton books, the works by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Mary Downing Hahn's 'Look for Me by Moonlight' and Kim Harrison's 'Hollows' series (she's not strictly vampire, but they feature prominently).

While I understand that some people are burned out on vampire fiction, this is the second book in an already published series, so not writing it is not an option. I owe the fans I do have that second book. My main concern with the work is that it maintains the quality of the original.

As far as adolescent fantasy goes, this book actually comes with something of an age rating, and has more in common with Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' than with S. Meyer's 'Twilight'. So I'm not too worried about that aspect. It's actually my way of combating the tide of veggie vampires. It's a good enough intrigue, but it's time to go back to the roots.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #19
Saya

Let The Right One In by far surpasses Interview With A Vampire. Pisses on it. However, thats not saying much, even Salem's Lot was better.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote