Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #51
Lounar Wolf

Slytherin of course! *howl*
Lounar Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:16 PM   #52
Dark Art

SNAPE IS AWESOME!! Well, at least, he WAS awesome...(sniff).

I kind of lean towards the idea that he killed Dumbledore on Dumbledore's own orders, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
I heard that J.K. Rowling promised that she wouldn't kill Harry Potter. I very much doubt that she will. It's a very dark story, but not quite that dark.

I'm Slytherin, too. Not because I get sorted into that house through a quiz (actually, I usually get sorted into every other house) but because I chose it. And that's what it's all about, right? Remember the second book?
Dark Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #53
Lounar Wolf

I hope Harry dies. "The one who lived" won't be alive anymore. *tryumph feeling howl* Snape still is awsome, and never won't be. Yea I can't wait for that book. But it probably won't come out for another 2 years or so.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #54
Lounar Wolf

Meh, I just have a thing for goths/evils/and twins. Man that sounded a bit prep. But evil is just me. *snake like hiss*
Old 12-14-2005, 05:23 AM   #55
Wise Child

[quote=Xnguela]Remember what happened last time they cast spells at the same time? Their wands connected. Neither could do anything. That's when Harry saw his mum & dad. Remember? So maybe Voldemort will cast an Avada Kadevara just as Harry destroys the last Horcrux?

X - I reckon Harry IS the last Horcrux. Before you can make a Horcrux you have to kill someone to split your soul, right? So maybe he hadn't made the seventh when he tried to kill Harry. That would mean Harry'd have to be all heroic & self-sacrificing & shit, and ***** it, which sucks.
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:28 AM   #56
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Terror
The book is aggrivating and far to predictable, I guessed from the end of book 4 that Snape was on the darkside..and guess what...I WAS RIGHT. Eh
Midnight Terror - not necessarily. I think it's a double-bluff - she woulda saved it for the last book if it was true I reckon.
Here's what I think: in the middle of the 6th book, Hagrid says he overheard Snape and Dumbledore arguing. Dumbledore was getting angry at SNape & telling him he'd agreed to do a mysterious "it", and had better follow through.
So when Dumbledore says "Severus, please" at the end ... he means "you have to kill me." Think about it - if Snape didn't do it, either Malfoy would kill D, taking him too far down the dark path to have a shot at redemption. Or he'd fail, in which case Voldemort would shuffle him off the mortal coil. And D's plan seems to have worked - there are a lot of bits at the end which imply that now Malfoy can come back. Like, Harry realises that Malfoy really had no idea what he was getting himself into, and starts to pity him.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #57
Dark Art

I agree with Wise Child.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #58
Dark Art

J.K. Rowling is tricky. And no, I don't think Dumbledore's coming back. I don't think Rowling would bluff that way. Although I did have someone (can't remember who) bring up a good point, which is that Dumbledore is very much associated with phoenixes, who die and are reborn...I dunno.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #59
Wise Child

I don't think so. She's made a pretty big deal out of how no spell can reawaken the dead & to the well-organised mind, death is the next great adventure (ok I've read them too much...) She's been preparing us for this since book 1 if you think about it
Old 12-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #60
Lounar Wolf

Olivers OK, not hot. Oh and I was wandering. What's the problem with Draco is?!?! In the introduse yourself here, somone said "Anyone with a Harry Potter character in there name probably isn't gothic." or something like that. Yes evil things and twins are what I like. I have many twin friends.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:26 PM   #61
Dark Art

Twins are fun. I know some three-year old twins that are the cutest things! And considering how dark the books are becoming, I think it's more than acceptable for a Goth to like Harry Potter. Unless we all insist on hating anything mainstream, regardless of its inherent value.
Yeah, Wise Child, once again I agree with you.
Sorry, Xnguela, I don't know when the next book comes out. Knowing Rowling, it won't be out for AGES.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:28 AM   #62
Wise Child

Not a clue, but on the plus side it's probably gonna be the length of a bible! Yay!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:33 AM   #63
Wise Child

Another theory, since Dark Art has my back on this - in an interview, JKR said something about Harry's eyes would be important. She always goes on about how green they are, and how they're just like his mother's. SInce green is the colour of Slytherin, I think that POSSIBLY (stay with me) Lily was the heir of Slytherin. There's this whole idea that no powers are inherently "dark", it's how you choose to use them, so would be a good twist if Harry originated from the original "dark" wizard. Also, it would explain why Voldemort gave Lily the chance to step aside before he blew her away - he's the heir of S too, so maybe he had an attack of solidarity. There's one bit, the second one I think, where V points out that there are a lot of similarities between him and Harry, so ... I reckon it's not imposible. (Do you think I need to go out and get a life? - naaah.)
Old 12-15-2005, 08:19 AM   #64
Wise Child

Yeah, well ... I don't know. Maybe she didn't know herself, and they just thought she was a Muggle. Plus, don't forget, Voldemort is half-Muggle. So power doesn't always have to come from purebloods. Not all wizards have wizard kids, you get a fair few Squibs. So, a few generations of Squibs, and just when they're forgetting there was ever magic in the family out pops Lily! Or maybe I just didn't think that one through. lol
Old 12-15-2005, 06:36 PM   #65
Dark Art

Um...sorry, Wise Child, but I don't think I can back you on this one. I think Lily really and truly was Muggle-born.
HOWEVER, I'm glad you brought up the similarities between Harry and Voldemort. Both are (or at least used to be) dark-haired, both had hideous childhoods, their wands share the same core, they both have some extraordinary powers, and so on and so forth. I really like the way Rowling did that. Normally, the protagonist and the antagonist are as diametrically opposed as possible. By making these two connected both by resemblance and their strange, mutual telepathy, I think Rowling has definitely elevated this struggle beyond a simple good vs. evil fable. It forces us to consider the differences between good and evil and what kind of choices lead to one or the other.
What do y'all think?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #66
rockandrose

Harry Potter is boring?

POTTER WILL DIE
Tuesday, December 06, 2005
By Wenn

The former Carry On actor claims Rowling is tiring of the character and wants full closure at the end of the seventh and final novel.

Dale says, "She has lived with Harry Potter so long she really wants to kill him off."

Daniel Radcliffe, who has played the part of Harry since the first movie Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone, also believes the character is destined for doom.

He recently admitted: "I would like Harry to die at the end of that seventh book. I think it would be a very good ending.

"I wouldn't want it to be sentimental. I don't like sentimental ends to books or films. I think that would undermine the darkness the rest of the books have."

http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/3471249
Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #67
Dark Art

I agree. Bad enough she demonized Snape, if she kills off Potter I'm really going to lose it.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:51 AM   #68
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Art
Um...sorry, Wise Child, but I don't think I can back you on this one. I think Lily really and truly was Muggle-born.
Yeah ... me neither. I forgot about Lily being Muggle-born while I was banging out that theory. Dagnabbit!

I really hope she doesn't kill Harry, but I have this feeling of forboding. She makes such a big deal about how death isn't the end, there are far worse things than death, anything you believe in is worth dying for (exemplified, in keeping with my Dumbledore-sacrificed-himself-deliberately theory, by the great man himself), and how to the well-organised mind death is yada yada. I get the distinct feeling she's sugaring the pill for us.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:18 AM   #69
Dark Art

The whole series is seen through Harry's eyes. If she kills Harry, it's like she's killing the reader, too. Not going to happen. Maybe we could deal with Harry's death, but mainstream peeps? They'd lynch her.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:40 AM   #70
Wise Child

Damn, I hope you're right!
Old 12-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #71
Dark Art

That Harry won't die, or that Rowling will be lynched?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:55 AM   #72
Wise Child

That Harry won't die. Bless his little cottons, he's been through enough. What that boy needs is a cup of tea and a nice foster mum and dad.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:00 AM   #73
Nemesis

I love Harry Potter..ive read all the books about 5 times..i prefer the books myself, because the films skip alot of stuff out, i know they cant put it all in otherwise it would be 5 hours but still..
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:06 AM   #74
Nemesis

I know shes written the last paragraph and shes hinted that harry might die..i hope he doesnt
Old 12-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #75
Nemesis

Yeah..she said in a television interview when she had just relased the 5th book that she had already written the last paragraph of the last book