Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #51
Despanan

I meant it in the sense that she get's paid for sex. I'm currently playing John Proctor in a production of The Crucible, I scream "whore" on stage quite a few times, so it's kinda in my head lately.

So no, I don't think it's immoral. Pathetic maybe, but not immoral.

Honestly I think this is just a publicity stunt. As I said earlier, there was already a British girl who tried to do this two years ago, (except, instead of a wealthy supermodel, she was a lesbian art student, who was selling her technical virginity on ebay to pay for grad school or something.) Unless I'm mistaken the British government shut that down immediately.

Now I'm not familiar with the intricacies of Italian Law (If that is indeed the country she's trying to do this out of) but I'd wager a guess that they don't look too kindly on it.

Think about it, it's perfect. A "Devout Catholic Supermodel" offers to sell her virginity. Everyone starts talking about her, (because seriously, if she wasn't doing this we wouldn't know who she was) multiple offers come in, and then the government shuts it down. Instant star-power; and it's not her fault she doesn't have to go through with the offer, it was against the law. Oh well.

She'll probably get invited onto talk shows and get's to rail against the world's "prudish" culture. Before you know it, movie parts are being lined up, then reality shows, then book deals. WAY more than a million dollars rolls in and she doesn't even have to sleep with anybody. It's the ultimate cock-tease.

Anyway, this is just a theory, but it makes sense to me. After all, that one prostitute who banged the senator got an acting career and a reality show after the scandal broke, so why not this chick?
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 AM   #52
noveleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
I'm currently playing John Proctor in a production of The Crucible, I scream "whore" on stage quite a few times, so it's kinda in my head lately.
Oh, awesome. I love the Crucible. *runs away so that main topic can be resumed*
noveleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #53
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Why did you say whore rather than prostitute?
Maybe you just used it for no ulterior reason, but I want to know if it was because of the connotations of 'whore' as if what she's doing is actually immoral.

This is why I need to stop sleeping. I was about to say that.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #54
Tam Li Hua

Sounds like straight-up prostitution to me..
Old 10-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #55
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
Yeah, it makes her a whore.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for the legalization of prostitution, but lets call a spade a spade here.
A prostitute is someone who grants sexual favors for money or other payment, and most of them don't do it because they enjoy it [if any of them do.]

A 'whore' or 'slut' are derogatory terms for someone who sleeps around, regardless of payment, doesn't use protection, and enjoys it immensely.

At least, that's my understanding of things. I could be wrong, of course.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #56
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
A prostitute is someone who grants sexual favors for money or other payment, and most of them don't do it because they enjoy it [if any of them do.]

A 'whore' or 'slut' are derogatory terms for someone who sleeps around, regardless of payment, doesn't use protection, and enjoys it immensely.

At least, that's my understanding of things. I could be wrong, of course.
You are wrong.

A whore and a slut aren't the same thing, neither term has anything to do with whether or not protection is used, and neither of the terms have to do with enjoyment, but generally whores nor sluts enjoy what they're doing.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #57
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
You are wrong.

A whore and a slut aren't the same thing, neither term has anything to do with whether or not protection is used, and neither of the terms have to do with enjoyment, but generally whores nor sluts enjoy what they're doing.
I suppose you're right. I mean, a person can be a whore in more ways than just sexually, i. e., "He whored himself out to the wrong company just for the better money."

All in all, though, isn't calling someone a 'whore' or a 'slut' somewhat more insulting than saying 'prostitute'?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #58
Saya

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whore

Pronunciation:
\ˈhȯr, ˈhu̇r\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English hore, from Old English hōre; akin to Old Norse hōra whore, hōrr adulterer, Latin carus dear — more at charity
Date:before 12th century

1: a woman who engages in sexual acts for money : prostitute ; also : a promiscuous or immoral woman
2: a male who engages in sexual acts for money
3: a venal or unscrupulous person
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #59
Tam Li Hua

Yeah. Already looked the definitions on Dictionary.com.