Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
Joker_in_the_Pack

Dreadlocks

I'm thinking of dreading my hair when it grows out, anyone have any good how to guides?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
chal8

there's a pretty good guide and tons of tips and stuff at knottyboy,com (seems i cant post urls o.O). i am not affiliated with them in any way, but i've used their products and i can recommend them.
other than that, if you have a specific question i'll do my best to answer.. i've had dreads for about 5 years now.
chal8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Joker_in_the_Pack

I went to dreadheadhq.com and read all their how to guides, I'm just wondering what are some problems I might have while first setting them.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 10-09-2008, 02:36 AM   #4
chal8

ah, well, hm. my experience is that you should backcomb as tight as possible. the dread isn't going to 'form' or 'mature' after that like every guide i've read says. they're going to stay pretty much exactly like how you make them the first time and the hair/dread that grows out is going to look a lot different and more 'mature'. so that means you have to make the new dreads as even and tight as possible. use wax, but not too much, that will make the dreads too oily and slippery and they'll come out. after some months you can stop waxing all together. hm, or maybe just once a year or something. i don't use it anymore. i only use the knottyboy gel after showering.

oh and speaking showering, you should do it at least once a month. i've seen so many people ruin their dreads because they think they shouldn't shower at all.. their hair turns all oliy (and scalp FULL of dandruff ;___;) and the dreads just slides apart. fact is, showering and having clean, almost crips hair makes the dreads better, it hold the hair together _much_ better.! this is important! :O

hm.. what else. .. don't stress the tips too much. just use a little wax there if they seem start to unravel. when you've had the dreads some time you can just cut the undreaded tips off!

hope this helps;)
chal8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
pitchfork

It dependes much on if you want wax in your hair or not? Do you want to go for weeks without washing your hair because your dreads have to get "dreadier"?
I have a friend with dreads done without any biproducts. It's just backcombing a hell of a lot, using dreadshampoo (which doesn't leave any traces in the hair, otherwise it might get mouldy). The only thing is you have to wash them atleast once a week.
pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Joker_in_the_Pack

Yes, I read much to that extent in terms of washing. DreadheadHQ recommends weekly hair washings when the dreads are new, and then when they're "mature", you can wash them every two or three days, which is just fine by me.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
pitchfork

Well, a tip is to have someone who can help you with the dreads. My friend got to school with half of her hair dreaded and the other half loose. They got dreaded during lunchbreak in the middle of the corridor xD
Old 10-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Joker_in_the_Pack

Hahaha, sounds classic. I'm sure I can find a few of my friends to help me. I'll bribe them with pizza or something.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:35 AM   #9
pitchfork

Sounds like a plan. Good luck with your dreads ;D
Old 10-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonedblueeyes
wait maonaise is expensive! rnt u going to buy that first for the pack?
Mayonnaise on your head? Explains a lot.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:08 AM   #11
Joker_in_the_Pack

Ignoring the obvious trolling, mayonnaise would work terribly, as it is quite oily and would prevent proper dreads from truly forming. What it would do is attract flies to your head in droves.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
Solumina

Mayo actually makes a nice conditioner. Put it on damp/wet hair then rinse it off after 10 minutes, it will leave your hair soft and shiny but it is not a good idea to use on oily hair.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
Joker_in_the_Pack

Yeah, but if you want dreadlocks, conditioner (both the normal kind and things like Mayo) is the enemy.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #14
Solumina

True enough
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Kij.

There are a few good ones on YouTube.
Kij. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:08 AM   #16
korinna5555

STAY AWAY FROM KNOTTY BOY AND DREADHEAD HQ.
WAX IS YOUR ENEMY.

Seriously, all you need to do is backcomb and palmroll. I'd recommend using Dr Bronners or a similar soap in place of a commercial shampoo.

www.dreadlocktruth.com
Good website ^
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #17
PortraitOfSanity

Joker, having seen your pic, I don't think you'd look good at all in dreads. Not to be an asshole, but to be helpful.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #18
Sinjob

Wish I could help you out, seeing as I was gonna get dreadlocks 'till I went crazy and cut off all my hair >_> haha
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #19
maggot

Dread resurrection. ITS A PUN. Get it? dread instead of thread? HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!1

I have a dreadhawk, but it's a sharkfin, not a mohawk. So it's a "dreadfin." It's awesome.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #20
Xx_Goth_Clown_xX

I love Dreads Forget the Haters.

I love dreads. Im a African american Goth,and Just got my dreads in,and Dont really understand why do some stereotype dreads as being nasty,smelly,disguisting,and weird. To me its more then hair it's a way of saying who Cares what others thing dreads rock,and I love them. :-)
Xx_Goth_Clown_xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #21
Raza

We made Izta's without any chemical stuff, using crochet needles to knot the surface hair around a 'lock, a trick we picked up from a friend.

It worked well enough. Most of us had never done it before so some of the dreads are a bit erratic, like dead tree branches. Dyed black that kind of works, though, and we keep things braided in most of the time anyway.
Raza is offline   Reply With Quote