Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
My dear I don't have that big of a door to put one horse on it, much less a show of them

no shit, cutting your tongue on a knife makes you quite angry.

*facepalm*
Excuse me, saying weird superstitions that you know of doesn't mean that you believe in them
And i did mention at the begining that my mother (not me) is superstitious
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #27
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread
Excuse me, saying weird superstitions that you know of doesn't mean that you believe in them
And i did mention at the begining that my mother (not me) is superstitious
I was actually making fun of your spelling, the logic behind the superstition, and the absurdity of the superstition, in that order. I wasn't saying you believed in them.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #28
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread
My mother is also the mother of superstition

Don't look in a broken mirror, put a horse show on the door
When you blankly stare into something just don't because you'll fight with someone
Don't wear your clothes inside out because someone will be mad at you
Don't lick a knife or you'll be an angry person...
Bells shoo devils away
... Hmm... What else?

I can't remember... When i will, i'll post again
If I'm putting baba ganoush on something I'll lick the knife afterwards ^_^ so I've debunked that one already!

I've heard the bell one before, apparently its super effective if its made of silver.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #29
Geoluhread

I usually lick the knife if i put melted cheese on something, so mom always yells "don't lick the knife!!"
Mom does also believe in the black cats thing, number 13 (especially when it's friday)...

When my grandfather died, she covered all the mirrors saying that the spirit stays in the house for sometime, and if the spirit sees itself in a mirror, it'll freak out or something, then the kept a glass of vodka with a piece of bread over it ...
It was really weird...
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Old 09-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #30
Saya

I heard about the mirrors thing too, a friend of mine who's mum is Jewish covers up the mirrors in the house when someone dies.

My mom's catholic, if she loses something she'll pray to St. Anthony until she finds it ^_^
Old 09-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #31
NightmareInShiningArmour

Where the hell do people get these superstitions from?

Sometimes I wonder if there were a bunch of people who sat in a room and where like: "Ideas anyone?" "OOH! How about we make 13 unlucky!".

Would make more sense than people who just all of a sudden believe these things..
Old 09-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #32
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
Where the hell do people get these superstitions from?

Sometimes I wonder if there were a bunch of people who sat in a room and where like: "Ideas anyone?" "OOH! How about we make 13 unlucky!".

Would make more sense than people who just all of a sudden believe these things..
For the number thirteen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskaidekaphobia

Different superstitions have different origins. In China and Japan the number four means death. I never got a good explanation for that except that they just happen to have the same letter for four and death.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #33
lucylucy

There are these two posts randomly in a path near my school people walk through to get to a variety store. The superstition is something lame like if you walk through the posts you'll have bad sex / no sex for some amount of years. I dunno how it got started. It's ridiculous, but everyone's walked around the posts since elementary school, and everyone still does.
lucylucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #34
Nocturne Midnight

Location: The center of the city where all roads meet, waiting for you.
I have one at my school. If someone lights your cigarette for you, then you owe them seven years of great sex. Also, if you're at a party & you have sex on someone's couch, you are required to buy that person two CDs.
Nocturne Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #35
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe
If the black cat jump on or over the coffins

Burn that cat and chopped the body into little pieces
for He or she will become an undestroyable zombie and that cat will bond it's power.

In Voodoo believe.....

I guess that burn the cat when they jump on the coffin is much better than find it and burn it 3 days later while running away from a godlike zombie.

ps. That was so cruel, Poor cat.
I've heard a European version of that, how it goes is if a black cat jumps over a still open grave they'll become a vampire. But no mindless unstoppable zombie, no cat bonding and so thankfully no cat killing.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #36
Solumina

On my campus there is a design where two walkways cross and at the center of the design there is a circle, supposedly if you step in the circle you will fail out (there is also an alternative story that you just wont graduate from CNU, which makes sense as a lot of people used to transfer out back when the school was less prestigious than it is now)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #37
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
Ever heard of the movie "The Number 23"?
The Jim Carey Movie,yeah I've heard of it.

Why?
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:34 AM   #38
$haDe

"Every Thursday Brandi wears an evening gown to class"

Anybody ever heard of this?

It's a short story based on my school 'native' legend

In the math test on Thursday, Brandi got in late and said that she have a fashion emergency ... She wear an evening gown.

And may times after that she always wera these kind of gown and coat.

Everytime she wear it, She turned into some kind of math genius and never ever got her grade lower than B+

Until the last day of the test there were a test about probability(spell?)
All the whole grade wear suits,tuxedos and gowns to class

Brandi got in late while all student were busy checking thier neat clothes.

She said sorry that she have a fashion emergency again.

But...!!! She wear a ski clothe,thick boots and pointy hat!!!

Brandi is the only one passed the math test. Everyone else didn't study and busy finding gown and tuxedo.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #39
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
My mom's catholic, if she loses something she'll pray to St. Anthony until she finds it ^_^
My mom ties a piece of fabric/cloth on a chair's/stool's/table's leg (i have no idea why, maybe to find it faster) O.o
Jack Osborne

add me on
Old 09-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #40
lucylucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne Midnight
I have one at my school. If someone lights your cigarette for you, then you owe them seven years of great sex. Also, if you're at a party & you have sex on someone's couch, you are required to buy that person two CDs.
That's kind of awesome. Although I end up lighting everyone's smoke coz for some reason I'm the only one who ever has a lighter and I don't want it stolen. ..that's a lot of sex.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #41
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylucy
That's kind of awesome. Although I end up lighting everyone's smoke coz for some reason I'm the only one who ever has a lighter and I don't want it stolen. ..that's a lot of sex.

In my school, You'll get a free ticket to principal's room
Old 09-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #42
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05
The Jim Carey Movie,yeah I've heard of it.

Why?
The number rules his life.

Like you said, so many things add up to 12 for you, same in the movie.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #43
Deadmanwalking_05

The number doesn't rule my life but it does strike me as kind of odd at times.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #44
lucylucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe
In my school, You'll get a free ticket to principal's room
What? For lighting someone elses smoke? Or for smoking?

Why?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #45
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:

Why?
In my old school you would get a trip for either, you can get in trouble for smoking, and you can get in trouble for having a lighter. Though plenty of students have brought lighters into school anyways, I remember one guy who had a backpack full of them. I remember when I was in elementary school you could find marks left on the back of seats by students who put the lighter directly on the seat.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #46
Mealla

Oh yeah, another one I've heard is if your nose is itching, someone's thinking about you.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #47
Deadmanwalking_05

And a common saying around my way is that if your ears are burning (warm sensation) someone is talking about you.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #48
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla
Oh yeah, another one I've heard is if your nose is itching, someone's thinking about you.
I've heard this but it's sneezing.

Quote:

Why?

For smoking.

It's illegal or...That's what they said.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:23 AM   #49
Saya

If you have a sudden chill down your spine, someone just walked over your grave.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:37 AM   #50
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
If you have a sudden chill down your spine, someone just walked over your grave.

Like... where u'll be buried, right ?