Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
lattershed

Anxiety/Depression Tips & Tears

in this thread we depreciate anxiety disorders!
seriously, the panic attacks and constant nervousness are getting a little old. i'm really starting to get sick of it. for those of you with anxiety problems, how do you deal with it?

-m
lattershed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
Demonista_Ravenesque

Close this thread.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:08 PM   #3
lattershed

Thumbs down anxiety disorders...

...aren't fun at all. i'm really starting to get sick of being nervous all the time.
if you guys have problems with anxiety, how do you deal with it?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
lattershed

wow people really get irritated here about not using the shift key. i kind of stopped using it when i was on something awful and the indiefucks message boards, and now just don't do it out of habit.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:07 AM   #5
Jacks Girl

Smile

If i'm on my own and the nasty anxiety monster starts attacking then I tend to find something to distract myself with, usually drawing or writing. It helps me calm down and stops me from dwelling on things that make me too anxious. I havn't quite learned how to deal with it when its stronger than usual, or when I'm outdoors and it happens.
Those are some very good tactics on how to deal with anxiety darkangel29, I'll definatly be using them next time I think i'm going a little crazy.
Jacks Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:48 AM   #6
Deviant Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattershed
wow people really get irritated here about not using the shift key. i kind of stopped using it when i was on something awful and the indiefucks message boards, and now just don't do it out of habit.
I'd get back in the habit if I were you, hon.

I suffer from anxiety too. Panic attacks are the WORST! I used to think I had a heart problem (my Dad died from his bad heart) but I've since found out that panic attacks don't really harm you; they just make you feel like you're dying. Which makes me feel SO much better... *rolls eyes* It's pretty hard to relax even when you know they're just caused by a panic-induced adrenaline rush.

~ Wei Hui
Deviant Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:03 AM   #7
Queenofdarkness57

I listen to music, it's the best solution for everything!
Old 02-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #8
Deviant Kitten

Agreed, Queenofdarkness! Or I lose myself in a brilliant book or film. Anything which transports me away from my anxious thoughts is a good cure for them.

~ Wei Hui
Deviant Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #9
pitseleh

The way I deal with it is smoke copious amounts of hash and listen to intensely emotional music. Preferably something noisy and fast. Just let it all flow through me.

Maybe not the most productive way of doing it, but hey, it works for me.

(Be warned: Sometimes this method of overexposure can worsen symptoms.)
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
anchyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofdarkness57
I listen to music, it's the best solution for everything!
Agree! I smoke when i'm nervous. Not proud of it and i know it's not the best solution but well... no one's perfect. Meditation also helps me a lot. Especally before going to sleep
anchyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:09 AM   #11
Empty_Purple_Stars

I already deleted this thread once.

Why is it back AGAIN?

We have a thread for complaints, it's called " The Rant Thread "

Sigh.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:31 AM   #12
Empty_Purple_Stars

Gee, well maybe it's just me.

I don't see why we need ANOTHER thread for this..

But what the fuck do I know?

And I didn't say the subject wasn't valid..
Old 02-27-2006, 09:37 AM   #13
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh
The way I deal with it is smoke copious amounts of hash and listen to intensely emotional music. Preferably something noisy and fast. Just let it all flow through me.

Maybe not the most productive way of doing it, but hey, it works for me.

(Be warned: Sometimes this method of overexposure can worsen symptoms.)
I do exactly the same thing. Not for social anxiety - I don't really have problems with that. But just for anxiety in general. I don't do it for more than one day in a row anymore though - I did it for two weeks last year during a bad patch and the day I stopped, I felt awful. Not physically, just in my head. Sobriety just feels horrible after a while, and weed isn't even physically addictive. I can see how hard it must be for people addicted to hard stuff, if a bit of harmless mj makes reality that shitty. For that reason, I wouldn't mess with anything else - don't trust myself.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #14
Empty_Purple_Stars

It's fine. I merged them. Bad Spelling & Grammar and all.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:49 AM   #15
chloegoth

So... can we keep posting in this thread, or is there another one I should look for? I searched the rest of the "whining" threads and couldn't find it.
chloegoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:15 AM   #16
Empty_Purple_Stars

Go for it Pretty..

I will edit the thread title to something more coherent..
Old 03-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #17
Godslayer Jillian

I come from a suicidal family, but yet I can't understand how can people be altered in such ways.
I get the occasional feeling of weakness, anxiousness, and even the idea of suicide, but it just comes off when I say "Meh, it's not worth my concern"

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #18
Schneider

I have one, and it really isn't hard to do. If you don't want to be depressed or anxious just don't be it. It sounds a little wierd but if you think about it, it is perfectly logical. All feelings come from hormones in your brain which means you technically have no emotions. Emotions are triggered responses that come through years of conditioning or instinct. That's why people like or dislike things is because they are conditioned to. This goes for our basic instincts to such as fear, agression, love, hate, likes, dislikes, and yes even depression or anxieties. It's something our brain uses as a survival tool just like our five senses. However, just like our five senses, our feelings are really illusions. They don't really exist. They are only something our primal brain makes up, like pain. So if you don't want to be depressed just be happy, let go of all your cares, and just let the sun shine.
Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #19
chloegoth

I know it sounds crazy, but when I'm having an anxiety/panic attack, I go to the mall. I find that there's so much going on, and so much to look at, that it effectively distracts me and relieves the anxiety. If I sit at home and try to do something to take my mind off it, I get more stressed.

Jasmine green tea is also an effective way to calm myself down.

Last edited by chloegoth; 03-16-2006 at 01:43 PM. Reason: extraneous wordage
chloegoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #20
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneider
I have one, and it really isn't hard to do. If you don't want to be depressed or anxious just don't be it. It sounds a little wierd but if you think about it, it is perfectly logical. All feelings come from hormones in your brain which means you technically have no emotions. Emotions are triggered responses that come through years of conditioning or instinct. That's why people like or dislike things is because they are conditioned to. This goes for our basic instincts to such as fear, agression, love, hate, likes, dislikes, and yes even depression or anxieties. It's something our brain uses as a survival tool just like our five senses. However, just like our five senses, our feelings are really illusions. They don't really exist. They are only something our primal brain makes up, like pain. So if you don't want to be depressed just be happy, let go of all your cares, and just let the sun shine.
Oh man, here we go again..

Would you prefer a Casket or a Cremation?

Thought I would check in advance..

Sigh.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #21
tenet_2012

Eh... all I know is that my emotion, be it postive or negative, make me human.

When addicts go to treatment they are taught that emotion makes us whole. A popular theory is that addicts are addicts because they cannot or will not deal with their emotions.

And depression comes from a chemical inbalance in the brain.

"So if you don't want to be depressed just be happy, let go of all your cares, and just let the sun shine."

That is one of the most naive things I have ever read on this site.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:57 PM   #22
bunnicula

Even though what Scneider is saying does sound kind of naive, it is actually a (watered-down version of a) popular theory in psychology these days. I think it is true in theory, but in real life, depressed people can't just "snap out of it."

If a child grows up in an abusive home, her brain will react to situations that occur over and over, such as being yelled at or beaten, by strengthening the neural pathways in her developing brain which correspond to the sensation of fear. So the child grows up with very strong connections in the "fear center" of her brain.

Because she uses the fear connections so much, her other emotion centers, such as happiness, do not develop as strongly, and she learns to be afraid all the time, which can cause chronic anxiety. She has learned to be afraid, and in the process, changed her brain's structure, including the chemicals that cause emotions.

The child's brain actually develops differently because of her traumatic situation, causing a number of mental illnesses to develop in later life, including anxiety and/or depression. With treatment, she can re-learn how to respond to situations in different, non-fearful ways. But this is very, very difficult, and requires a great deal of self-awareness, a very long time, and a lot of therapy. It's not just "decide to think about sunshine and happiness," but in a way, it kind of is.

(That is a very brief overview of that theory- I can post more later but I am exhausted right now and my brain hurts!)
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:21 AM   #23
Shi'ark

chemical imbalances in the brain are often because of shit that happened in childhood or in life in general, think of it as biological socialization. Anxiety and Depression are the most common from of mental illness and are linked very closely with stress. It’s unlikely that chemical imbalances happen for no reason, at best we have yet to work out why and exactly how they happen in many illness’s.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:28 AM   #24
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
Chemical imbalances are there from birth, however they often don't manifest as a problem until you hit puberty, when you've got a lot more going on with the brain and body in a short period of time.

Anxiety and Depression are the most common illness because they're misdiagnosed. They're the grown-up ADHD.
Childhood Depression has become a much bigger problem in resent years, trust me on that one, I tried to kill my self when I was 11 (i'm over it now) and that had nothing to do with puberty, it was a childhood thing.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:30 AM   #25
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
Chemical imbalances are there from birth,
who told you that?