Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #6001
Ben Lahnger

Oh, and as long as I'm ranting - They make Green Hornet as a bumbler and it's a box-office smash. They make Green Lantern as a stand-up hero and it's a box-office failure? There's no way Green Lantern is a poorer film than Green Hornet was, so that doesn't explain it. I am disappointed.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #6002
Angelic Dissonance2

The Green Hornet was a stoner film. You were supposed to be on drugs.
Angelic Dissonance2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #6003
Ben Lahnger

Sooooooo ... that Green Lantern thing with the magic ring that creates things in 3D out of light and smacks the shit out of aliens ... that has no appeal to stoners?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #6004
Mr.Doobie

Equation for comedy movies:

The more skin/slapstick a comedy movies trailer shows is inversely proportional to how funny the movie is going to be.
Mr.Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #6005
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Oh, and as long as I'm ranting - They make Green Hornet as a bumbler and it's a box-office smash. They make Green Lantern as a stand-up hero and it's a box-office failure? There's no way Green Lantern is a poorer film than Green Hornet was, so that doesn't explain it. I am disappointed.
Is it a failure? I know critically its doing very bad, but box office wise I thought it was doing "okay", not as good as X-Men or Thor but not by a whole lot. And from what I gather its doing better overseas. Nostalgia Chick said something like they tried too hard to be like Iron Man and it just didn't have a whole lot going for it, and it seemed like a lot was cut out for the theatrical release like what happened to Daredevil, so I might wait for the director's cut.

I'm disappointed mostly because I like DC more than Marvel and I wish they had something other than Batman to carry them. Or Alan Moore films. So I was
hoping it would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Doobie View Post
Equation for comedy movies:

The more skin/slapstick a comedy movies trailer shows is inversely proportional to how funny the movie is going to be.
Hence why Bad Teacher is going to be god awful.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #6006
Murder.Of.Crows

Thing is people don't know what the Green Hornet is, so naturally people want to see it based on it being "something new". You ask people if they want to see Green Lantern and people think, "god, another comic book movie?"

Although that doesn't explain Scott Pilgrim's failure.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #6007
Saya

I thought Scott Pilgrim looked stupid from the trailers, I was really surprised that it was so good. Maybe it was marketing?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #6008
Murder.Of.Crows

Shame too. I loved that movie and the comic book was even better, but maybe it was the comic book that got me excited for it. I blame marketing, they really didn't show the movie's point.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #6009
MissCheyenne

My sister fell out with me and has decided that the best way to get back at me is to sell my stuff that she borrowed (stole) on ebay instead of returning it to me (bear in mind she's 25 years old and not a fucking child). It's ok though, her new bank card came to my house along with her wage slip. Wouldn't it be a shame if they got returned to sender with the words NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS written across them?

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #6010
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
Thing is people don't know what the Green Hornet is, so naturally people want to see it based on it being "something new". You ask people if they want to see Green Lantern and people think, "god, another comic book movie?"
That really doesn't scan as correct. The minute the trailer hit the internet, it was just as clear Green Hornet was a superhero movie as when Kick Ass's trailer hit the net.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #6011
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
My sister fell out with me and has decided that the best way to get back at me is to sell my stuff that she borrowed (stole) on ebay instead of returning it to me (bear in mind she's 25 years old and not a fucking child). It's ok though, her new bank card came to my house along with her wage slip. Wouldn't it be a shame if they got returned to sender with the words NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS written across them?
If you were really unethical, you could activate the card, rent two or three PO boxes locally (paying with the card), then buy all your stuff off of ebay using a couple of assumed names, paying with the card. Wait for it all to arrive at the PO boxes, then return the card to her.

What ... she's going to claim you stole your own stuff from her?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #6012
MissCheyenne

If I was unethical, I could but I won't. Mostly because I wouldn't want to get into trouble with the law for it. I think I'm just going to return them to sender and ignore it. I would report my things as stolen if I had the energy but for the prices shes selling them for, it really doesn't seem worth it and at the end of the day, clothes and jewellery can be replaced. It's a real shame she feels the need to stoop so low though, I had honestly thought better of her. Seems I was wrong and that family doesn't mean as much to her as she claims.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #6013
Saya

I'm so sorry MC. You don't need someone that spiteful in your life.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #6014
MissCheyenne

Thanks Saya. No, I don't need it, I have a million other things that need my attention right now and she's just being childish, which I simply don't have the time or energy for. If I'm honest, that sister ( I have two sisters, a brother and three half brothers) has always been nasty, selfish and extremely self centred. If she wants to be like that, it's fine because I know she'll need me before I need her.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #6015
Ben Lahnger

MC, just remember the three parts of a legitimate apology:

1) Make a sincere statement of remorse.

2) Make restitution; repair or replace (to the best of your ability) what you have lost or damaged.

3) Make a commitment to not repeat the same action that caused the harm in the first place.

What this means is that at some point in the future, if she ever comes to you and says "Hey, let's let bygones be bygones", you say "Okay, as soon as you replace my things." If I were you, I would hold her to it.

Nobody "needs" family that behaves this way.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #6016
Murder.Of.Crows

I'm sorry MC, is this by chance the thing that was bugging a couple days back? Regardless, that sucks, family should be one of those things that should be there and complete assholes about it.

Quote:
That really doesn't scan as correct. The minute the trailer hit the internet, it was just as clear Green Hornet was a superhero movie as when Kick Ass's trailer hit the net.
I was only making an assumption, not necessarily saying it was the reason. But, the thing with Kick Ass and Green Hornet, they weren't known comic books. While Green Lantern is and thus come off as less original. Also it seems that, the last two or so years have been comic book movie, one after another. People could be losing interest in them.

Another probability, could be the competition. It was released around the same time as Hangover 2 and Pirates 4.

That and Green Lantern was more of the mediocre heroes, as opposed to superman, batman, and spiderman. (so many man's, fuck.)

On a personal complaint, It's hot here, I am pissed off at everybody, annoyed beyond the bounds I am used to, and my beer is warm. And I hate beer too....
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #6017
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
I was only making an assumption, not necessarily saying it was the reason. But, the thing with Kick Ass and Green Hornet, they weren't known comic books. While Green Lantern is and thus come off as less original. Also it seems that, the last two or so years have been comic book movie, one after another. People could be losing interest in them.
That's not it; look at the box office for Thor and X-Men: First Class the last month or so. Unless you were including them. It could be too fast on the heels of those films.

[quote=Murder.Of.Crows;670980Another probability, could be the competition. It was released around the same time as Hangover 2 and Pirates 4.[/QUOTE]
... and Thor and X-men: First Class. There might be something to this, but I'm still disappointed. That Pirates crap (the weakest of the 4 Pirates films) just made it onto some list of top ten grossing films of all time. How the fuck is that reasonable?

[quote=Murder.Of.Crows;670980That and Green Lantern was more of the mediocre heroes, as opposed to superman, batman, and spiderman. (so many man's, fuck.)[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Green Lantern is a B List-er, but so is Thor ... or Green Hornet for that matter. BTW, Green Hornet has been in print in recent years, well before the movie, so there was awareness of the character in the comic community.

Well, it doesn't make much sense, but maybe it's box office overload or superhero fatigue. If Captain America does much better though, "sombody's gonna have some 'splainin' to do!"

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #6018
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Well, it doesn't make much sense, but maybe it's box office overload or superhero fatigue. If Captain America does much better though, "sombody's gonna have some 'splainin' to do!"
I agree.

I've never heard of green hornet until the movie though, so most of my assumption there was that the majority of people were the same.

I had forgotten about Thor, that was a disappointing movie.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #6019
Ben Lahnger

Really? Maybe it was because I never liked the comic and figured they couldn't make a movie about Thor without getting bogged down too much in Norse legend, so I wasn't expecting it to be good. I was pleasantly surprised by the balancing act they pulled off weighing how much of Earth and how much of Asgard to include in the film.

I also only paid $3.50 to see it. Nothing but matinées for me from now on, buddy!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #6020
Murder.Of.Crows

To me the movie was too much concentrated on "the avengers", they introduced characters without spending time developing them. Like the guy with the bow and arrow, who the hell was he?! Why did he have 7 minutes to show he is a badass and then never again seen in the movie?! Then they made to many damned references to Iron Man. The mythology was off, to a point where it annoyed me. But then again I never read the comics, but I love Norse mythology, so I was expecting too much.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #6021
Saya

Yeah Thor is to Norse mythology as Wonder Woman is to Greek. Think of it as fan fiction!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #6022
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKat View Post
*resists urge to cuddle and pet and make it all better*

Well, at least you get to take it again.
If you can make it all better I would be much obliged.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #6023
Ben Lahnger

I've been telling all my friends and relatives about the horrific drought that Texas is suffering under right now (since November) and that it's the third worst drought in the last 100 years. We got a little sprinkle today. I posted on Facebook that we got 0.8 inches of rain, and while that isn't much, at least it's a start.

Then I got family members posting things like, "So, you got that rain you've been needing. Good!"

Annoying. Lack. Of. Comprehension.

So I had to post, "Yes, we got 6% of the rain we needed. Now we're only 15 inches behind where we should be."

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #6024
BlacKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
If you can make it all better I would be much obliged.
If I knew how to do that I would be having a lot fewer problems in life right now...
BlacKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #6025
Fruitbat

Stupid families...

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote