Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
Draconysius

Christian music

I despise christian music. I don't care about the fact that the lyrics express a religious belief. What makes me despise it so much is the fact that most self-proclaimed "christian" music is so fake. Most christian bands tack on the label just to sell to their target demographic; often just tacking on "we love jesus" once in every song to make it credible as christian.

I also love how a lot of christian metal bands claim to spread the message of god's love, especially in song titles like "death to the heathens" or "burn in hell", etc. Not to mention a lot of them tack on "christian" to their music in a way that screams "we're superior to all other music". Of course, the sound rarely differs from so-called "heathenistic" music, except sometimes it's often softened down into a chewable pop form. Of course, I'm generalizing, though I've yet to meet a christian band that's anything more than a marketing tool.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
bleedingheart344

Yes, kind of like Creed. They suck... >_> Seriously, I know what you're talking about. I also hate the fans of christian music, you know, the ones you see with their hands raised to the air and swaying as if propelled by a religious force?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I do like a Christian rock band. But others call them Christian rock. The lead singer even said once in an interview that he is not a preacher, he's an entertainer. He likes to express his views in his music though.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Aaroneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
I despise christian music. I don't care about the fact that the lyrics express a religious belief. What makes me despise it so much is the fact that most self-proclaimed "christian" music is so fake. Most christian bands tack on the label just to sell to their target demographic; often just tacking on "we love jesus" once in every song to make it credible as christian.

I also love how a lot of christian metal bands claim to spread the message of god's love, especially in song titles like "death to the heathens" or "burn in hell", etc. Not to mention a lot of them tack on "christian" to their music in a way that screams "we're superior to all other music". Of course, the sound rarely differs from so-called "heathenistic" music, except sometimes it's often softened down into a chewable pop form. Of course, I'm generalizing, though I've yet to meet a christian band that's anything more than a marketing tool.
The Christian factor in music terribly irks me, although my brother is a fan of a few of the bands (i.e P.O.D, Creed). I do think that there are artists who subscribe to the Christian music segment because they truly want to express religion through music; they're just not necessarily as mainstream as the ones who are in it for the money. Then again, that's true with much of the music scene that's developed.

Technically, bands are permitted to make music about whatever they please thanks to the U.S's First Amendment. And, while I don't particularly like Christian music, I try to make peace with it, and, as much as I am reluctant to, realize that there's probably someone out there who feels the same way about the music I listen to.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
TopHaggardDoll

I am so gunna get flamed for this....but...to be honest, it's not just Christians bands.

You see....Satanic bands do it too, i'm personally not a fan of Christianity or Satanism. Both Christian and Satanic bands are just....hypocritical beyond belief.
I believe if you're gunna say **** religion...then **** them all! They're all basically the same! You can't just condemn one religion then say yours is great, especially when both have a book with set rules and some twat in a robe preaching about how awesome that particular religion is. Satanism is ridiculous, yeah! live life how you want! great! Then why do we need Satanism to exist!? It renders itself pointless....live by these rules....but you can live life how you want!
If you need a book to tell you that you can live life the way you want to, then you're pretty pathetic.

Plus, the reason Satanism exists is because of Christianity. Those two religions basically thrive off of eachother (with Christianity it's probably the fear of Satanism...not Satanism itself) but want rid of eachother.

In general, I just don't like music that attempts to promote a certain religion, there are much more interesting subject matters to explore other than regurgitated lyrics about Satan/God.

Of course, these bands can write what they want, i'm not saying they shouldn't be able to....I just don't bloody like it. :P It really fuels alot of anger in me.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
djaeternum

My main problem with it is that it exudes a naïve positivism that just makes me wonder if they're taking a lot of drugs or if they really see the world in such a way?

I guess it's just a different reality for them that they sing about, it's just not mine and I don't understand it.
djaeternum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
DeathChii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
I am so gunna get flamed for this....but...to be honest, it's not just Christians bands.

You see....Satanic bands do it too, i'm personally not a fan of Christianity or Satanism. Both Christian and Satanic bands are just....hypocritical beyond belief.
I believe if you're gunna say **** religion...then **** them all! They're all basically the same! You can't just condemn one religion then say yours is great, especially when both have a book with set rules and some twat in a robe preaching about how awesome that particular religion is. Satanism is ridiculous, yeah! live life how you want! great! Then why do we need Satanism to exist!? It renders itself pointless....live by these rules....but you can live life how you want!
If you need a book to tell you that you can live life the way you want to, then you're pretty pathetic.

Plus, the reason Satanism exists is because of Christianity. Those two religions basically thrive off of eachother (with Christianity it's probably the fear of Satanism...not Satanism itself) but want rid of eachother.

In general, I just don't like music that attempts to promote a certain religion, there are much more interesting subject matters to explore other than regurgitated lyrics about Satan/God.

Of course, these bands can write what they want, i'm not saying they shouldn't be able to....I just don't bloody like it. :P It really fuels alot of anger in me.
lol you want get flamed for that, I totally agree.
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
Draconysius

Quote:
You definitely have a point. There are a good number of bands out there that use Satanism as a gimmick; a gimmick that attracts people by either shock, or relation. Most of the poseur goth bands today, Manson and HIM especially, use Satanism in their image and their music because it creates controversy.
So I guess both sides are guilty of fakers.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
Velvet_Mansfield

I have yet to hear an original sounding Christian band. It seems to me they rip off whatever genre happens to be popular at the moment, water it down for their target audience, and then claim it's so much better than everything else out there.

Personally, it's not the religious beliefs behind the music (Christian/Satanism etc.) that bother me as much as the fact that the music is for the most part totally uninspired and completely unoriginal. The religion is usually a marketing tool used to sell to a specific audience.
Velvet_Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
deafasadoornail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet_Mansfield
I have yet to hear an original sounding Christian band. It seems to me they rip off whatever genre happens to be popular at the moment, water it down for their target audience, and then claim it's so much better than everything else out there.

Personally, it's not the religious beliefs behind the music (Christian/Satanism etc.) that bother me as much as the fact that the music is for the most part totally uninspired and completely unoriginal. The religion is usually a marketing tool used to sell to a specific audience.
THAT is what bothers me. I have no problem with actual Christian music -- most of the chants and a lot of the old hymns are quite beautiful. And some of the gospel stuff is awesome. What makes me feel like my drawers are full of sand is when musicians write a bunch of fake drivel then put it to a rock/metal/rap soundtrack because it makes them sound "hip."

News flash, people: it doesn't make you sound hip. It makes you sound cheezy. And it doesn't help you "reach your audience" either because most of them are helpless on the ground, laughing.

I have no idea what to say about the arm-waving, because it's frightened the crap out of me since I was a tiny tot in church. I wonder if those people would be so eager to wave their arms if they realized that it's the same behavior engaged in by brainwashed masses during political rallies in such free and democratic places as North Korea.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
Aidess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius

I go to church.
and on Thursday im travelling to Sheffield just to see a christian band, that arent metal, more 'cheesy rock' of the sort.
but i dont think christian bands arer about the music.
Christian Metal is about getting the word of christanity to people that listen to Metal to knwo that Metal isnt all about Satanism, Anti-War, Anti- christianity and Blashphemic Lyrics.

Christian bands dont try and make themselves superior, its just that they are noticed and christianity is such a big religion itself, looks superior.
if you get what i mean.
x
Aidess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
Tha Duckman

I was into a Christian rock band a few years back called Delirious. They were pretty good.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:

There's no such thing as Satanic rock.
As Drac said, the bands just use Satanism as a gimmick.
But I sort of get your drift, only we have to modify some things.
Christian rock (not all, though) is hypocritical.
'Satanic' bands are not hypocritical, but they're nothing than geek dipshits that want to feel badass.

What I do have to point out is this:
You can't just condemn one religion
Yes they can. They're 'satanic' wannabes, not anti-theists.
Plus, the reason Satanism exists is because of Christianity
Not really. The only thing that would have been different is the name. You're thinking of devil-worshipping, not satanism. Although as we're talking about bands, those 'satanic' bands do get closer to devil-worshipping than to real satanism.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
Tha Duckman

I'm gonna start a toaster worshipping death metal band, with hits such as "I Burn Yr Fuckin' Bread!!!" and "Stick A Fork In It!!!"
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:21 PM   #15
Godslayer Jillian

I'd buy a CD.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM   #16
KontanKarite

I find lots of lyrics in Cruxshadows songs to be highly spiritual and have Christian undertones in them to an extent. Well, in a way, they talk about the same kinds of virtues without tacking the name Jesus or the word Christian in it.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 PM   #17
Circle V

My two absolute favorite bands-- 16 Horsepower and Woven Hand-- are led by the same devout Christian man. I would mistake neither for generic "Christian rock," however-- both are darker and deeper than most bands could ever be. Look for 16 Horsepower on Youtube, if you wish to see.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 PM   #18
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
There's no such thing as Satanic rock.
As Drac said, the bands just use Satanism as a gimmick.
But I sort of get your drift, only we have to modify some things.
Christian rock (not all, though) is hypocritical.
'Satanic' bands are not hypocritical, but they're nothing than geek dipshits that want to feel badass.

What I do have to point out is this:
You can't just condemn one religion
Yes they can. They're 'satanic' wannabes, not anti-theists.
Plus, the reason Satanism exists is because of Christianity
Not really. The only thing that would have been different is the name. You're thinking of devil-worshipping, not satanism. Although as we're talking about bands, those 'satanic' bands do get closer to devil-worshipping than to real satanism.
If they are going to condemn a religion, then they shouldn't pretend to be part of another, it's just as bad if you're pretending, if not worse.
Exalting a religion you don't believe in is even more ridiculous than if you actually believed in it. Infact, I've had this argument with a particularly difficult band member who wanted me to write satanic lyrics despite the fact none of us are satanists. I flat out refuse to write lyrics about bloody satan! *wants to scream* (sorry had to get that bit off of my chest)

I know the difference between devil worship and satanism. These morons probably don't know what they believe though...at the end of the day, you're right, they're just morons that drink beer, PRA1ZE SAITAN!, have sex and like tits.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #19
Circle V

An example of 16HP lyrics-- these are more overtly religious than usual. Note the Abel/able homonym usage...

Black Soul Choir by 16 Horsepower

Ain't none ever seen the face of his foe, no
He ain't made of flesh & bone
He's the one who sits up close beside you
And when he's there you are alone

Every man is evil, yes, and every man a liar
And unashamed with the wicked tongues sing
In the black soul choir

Yes and no man ever seen the face of my lord no
Not since he left his skin
He's the one you keep cold on the outside, girl
He's at your door let him in

O I will forgive your wrongs
Yes I am Abel
And for my own I feel great shame
I would offer up a brick to the back of your head boy
If I were Cain
Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 PM   #20
Circle V

Link to song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HO9My5_H6dg or http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bcg5WnShwHQ (solo live)
Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 AM   #21
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I like Extol. Awesome, powerful metal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extol

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #22
evilpoppy

I find the biggest problem with Christian Rock is that it comes from a particular expression of Christianity that I don't identify with.

I am not a big U2 fan, but I find they way they explore issues of faith and justice more helpful than the average American Evangelical Teenager's.
evilpoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Instead of just hating Christian music, why not hate the Christian music that uses it as a gimmick?
But...how do you know if it's a gimmick or not? That's not your call to make. You can say you don't like the sound of it, but once again, why generalize?

Besides, every genre of music has bands that ruin their reputation for the rest of them. Cinema Strange for example. That's a terrible fucking band, but I'm not going to hate all music flavored with goth or deathrock.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #24
Nitocris

I cannot listen to Christian music despite being a Christian because I think the majority of it is extremely tacky and fake. It's like they take a normal, good music style and whitewash and cheapen it.
I have much more respect for secular bands who ocassionally speak about their religious faith instead of ram-rodding it down everyone's throat.
Nitocris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #25
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I like Anberlin.

They're not exactly metal, they're more like rock/alternative. But they're still labeled Christian (although they don't call themselves that.)

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote