Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #26
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabetha View Post
By the way I wasn't meaning it that way, I meant I wanted to make friends and meet people like me. I live in the midle of the country so everyone is either jock or cowboy, so i'm pretty much alone and wanted to meet people like me, who understand.
See? We're getting somewhere. I like this much more than trolling and flaming.

If you are looking for pointers and to meet interesting people, you will find plenty of both here.

Moonchild ~ Fields of the Nephilim

Power ~ Fields of the Nephilim

Deiche ~ Sex Gang Children

You can also click the other vid links to the right of the link for more suggestions.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #27
Miss Absynthe

I don't think that the whole goth thing is all about the music. I don't think that any of the music I listen to would be considered particularly 'goth', but I was born with the ability to shit bats.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #28
wolf moon

You lost me at "Evanescence".

Speaking as a person who is really very quite fond of grammar: stopitstopitstopit. Don't say you're goth if you're not. Don't say you love grammar if you can't use it properly. It's silly. Trying this hard is never worth it. Just, you know, be honest and open to learning. Say you're intrigued by an idea and want to learn more about it. Don't claim you've loved Peter Murphy since you were eight. It's unnecessary.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #29
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
I don't think that the whole goth thing is all about the music. I don't think that any of the music I listen to would be considered particularly 'goth', but I was born with the ability to shit bats.
Whilst I don't believe in a goth mindset or sensibility as such, or that reading gothic lit makes you a goth any more than reading Henry Miller makes you a sex-obsessed misogynist, I must confess to liking this post rather a lot.

Quick edit: I'd also like to add a couple of classics to Graus's awesome starter list (love Moonchild):

Bauhaus - She's in Parties
The Cure - One Hundred Years
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #30
Beowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
See? We're getting somewhere. I like this much more than trolling and flaming.

If you are looking for pointers and to meet interesting people, you will find plenty of both here.

Moonchild ~ Fields of the Nephilim

Power ~ Fields of the Nephilim

Deiche ~ Sex Gang Children

You can also click the other vid links to the right of the link for more suggestions.

Thats a good selection Wolfie !!!.

Here are a few more suggestions ...

Christian Death `The Angels`

Sisters Of Mercy `Marian`

The Mission `Deliverance`

Enjoy !!!.

Hey Wolfie, did you get the photos I e-mailed to you the other week ?
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 AM   #31
Elizabetha

I listened to Moonchild and I liked it. The band itself is very... interesting yet awesome. Also I am not yet the best at grammar or English but hello, I am still in High School. I am going to college to get an English Teaching degree, then maybe i'll be up to standard but as for now, I just love and feel like English is the one subject I can excel in. Thank most of you for laying off the trying to pick at everything I say. I have aspergers so I sometimes don't get my words out right, or people misunderstand me, and i'm sorry. :-(
Elizabetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #32
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
I listened to Moonchild and I liked it. The band itself is very... interesting yet awesome. Also I am not yet the best at grammar or English but hello, I am still in High School. I am going to college to get an English Teaching degree, then maybe i'll be up to standard but as for now, I just love and feel like English is the one subject I can excel in. Thank most of you for laying off the trying to pick at everything I say. I have aspergers so I sometimes don't get my words out right, or people misunderstand me, and i'm sorry. :-(
You could have mentioned that sooner you know, you would have gotten a very different reception, as I myself am an aspergerian, and graus has two autistic children. Surely you can understand our desire for correctness. Now you wait right here untill I come back. I would give more details, but I'm off to bed, if I don't go to bed now I'll possibly be worse than drunk, not really sure if thats accurate or not as I've never been drunk. *hugs and collapses, falling asleep on thefloor*

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #33
Beowulf

Glad you liked Fields Of The Nephilim, there is another band called NFD which has some of the old Fields Of The Nephilim members in it.

NFD - 'Light My Way' video promo clip (from 'Dead Pool Rising' album)
and there is a cool band that a friend got me into a year or so ago called `Sopor Aeturnus` who are very good too ...

Best of luck with your studies !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #34
Elizabetha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
You could have mentioned that sooner you know, you would have gotten a very different reception, as I myself am an aspergerian, and graus has two autistic children. Surely you can understand our desire for correctness. Now you wait right here untill I come back. I would give more details, but I'm off to bed, if I don't go to bed now I'll possibly be worse than drunk, not really sure if thats accurate or not as I've never been drunk. *hugs and collapses, falling asleep on thefloor*
I know but people make fun of me for it so I get embarrased about it.

Beowulf: I will have to listen to them when I get home, our school blocks all the good sites. >.<
Old 11-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #35
Acharis

Yeah... Sometimes keeping it on a need to know basis avoids hassle - especially with denizens of the internet. I never bother with disclosure myself.

Anyway, back to the topic. I'm not going to tell you what to listen to - but I will share a few songs I like that would likely fall under "Traditional Goth" music.

Sample from the buffet, a few flavours fall into that amorphous food group. ^_^ Including but not limited to -

Alien Sex Fiend - Ignore The Machine
March Violets - Snake Dance
Autumn - How It Came To Be This Way
Specimen - Sharp Teeth Pretty Teeth
X Mal Deutschland - Inkubus Sukkubus

Dead Can Dance and The Cure get an honourable mention.. I see no Siouxsie and the Banshees above. Tch. Also I like the O Children song 'Ruins'. Very similar to the 80s stuff even though they formed in 2008.

Searching for "Post-punk" is handy too.

Seriously though. Be open to trying more music but listen to whatever makes you happy. I listen to those songs and a whole bunch of other stuff that would get me flamed to a greasy stain.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #36
CuckooTuli

Oh oh oh! Honourable mentions to:

Velvet Underground - Venus in Furs
Joy Division - She's Lost Control

Also anything by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds or Dog Fashion Disco. Not goth rock per se, but music that goth-lovers might like.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #37
Saya

Quote:
No worries, my grammar isn't where it should be either. One thing I find is helping is the blog Reasoning With Vampires, it's making fun of Twilight and teaching me about grammar at the same time XD
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #38
Renatus

Quote:
I know but people make fun of me for it so I get embarrased about it.

Beowulf: I will have to listen to them when I get home, our school blocks all the good sites. >.<
I find it's better to be upfront with it rather than mention it later when it can be construed as an excuse or something you made up to get away with something. Especially when it comes to the internet where you have more and more people self diagnosing, so they have an excuse to be an asshole, it's become a literal joke unfortunately.

However, from what I have seen first hand and from what I've heard through other people(one source even gave a double digit percentage), there is an unusually high amount of autistics within the goth subculture. I've even done a few calculations on this taking into account the ratio of diagnosed autistics out there, then dividing that up by how many of those are high functioning autistics to get a high functioning autistic ratio. Then I took that and went and counted all the autistics I remember seeing on this forum, comparing that with the total forum population dividing the total forum population by amount of members who actually make a decent amount of posts. All together it came out with a bit of an interesting ballpark estimate that simply served to confirm the theory that there is an unusually high amount of autistics within the goth subculture.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #39
Elizabetha

I'll listen to those bands, but as for what Renatus said people at my school make fun of me rothlessly and call me a retard and weirdo and special ed, which I am but it still hurts just the same. So I don't tend to tell people about my problems because they in turn use them against me. :-( I will say my brother is autistic as well and he is goth and I have noticed a lot of goths are autistic...I wonder why that is???
Old 11-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #40
Renatus

Quote:
I'll listen to those bands, but as for what Renatus said people at my school make fun of me ruthlessly and call me a retard and weirdo and special ed, which I am but it still hurts just the same. So I don't tend to tell people about my problems because they in turn use them against me. :-( I will say my brother is autistic as well and he is goth and I have noticed a lot of goths are autistic...I wonder why that is???
Well in real life yes you should be a bit more selective with who you tell that sort of thing, since you can't simply stop seeing people in real life. But online when you want to join a community, if they cant handle you being an autistic, then they just aren't worth your time.

As for the kids at school who make fun of you, ignore them. I realize that's easier said than done, but I managed. I found frequent library usage to come in handy. Also you may be weird and in special ed, but you're not retarded.

BTW what are your interests? and if you could also fill out an intro, but at least tell us your interests if nothing else.

As for goth autistics, it's hardly surprising when you consider how most high functioning autistics have the usual traits and background that attract people to gothic rock and the goth subculture.

As for your brother what does he think of everything we've discussed in this thread?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #41
Elizabetha

I don't know how my brother feels about this site, I haven't shown it to him just yet. I am certain he would like it. How do I fill out an intro??
Old 11-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #42
Renatus

The standard gnet intro form is here. https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=1644

Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #43
Elizabetha

1. My hobbies are reading, writing, singing, and playing video games.

2. I am from ?Indiana?

3. My favorite author is a tie between Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe.

4. Rocky Horror Picture Show.

5. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Aerosmith wedding song

6. Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) funeral song

7. I want to die in a tornado, with a nice breeze.

8. I want a black casket with a purple lining.

9. My favorite outfit is my black mini skirt, black kiss t-shirt, my black and red checkered jacket and my brown boots.

10. Understanding, when you're a little kid people always think, "Oh she's just a little girl it's ok."

11. My favorite band is Blood On The Dance Floor.

12. I am a senior in High school and want to get a masters in English Education.

13. I live in the country so I have no goth friends to relate to.

14. I'm a girl.