Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
k3n666

I need sum advice please

Ok I just droped out of my high school and well lets just say my girlfriend is not 2 happy bout this and she says that with me dropping out getting a new job and workin later hours that we are gone fuss more and we might not be able 2 make it....so should I stay with the shitty job were after I pay my bills I can hardly buy my gas and cigs or should I take the new job and work the same hours just later @ night and make enough?
k3n666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
viscus

Birth control. That's my advice.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

Why would you drop out of high school? Isn't high school free?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
k3n666

shes on birth control
and because the high school I was @ was givin me bullshit classes so I would finish my work 2 fast and get in trouble and they wouldnt place me in advance classes
Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Solumina

Going back to school is the best thing that you can do, yeah there is some bullshit that you have to deal with but it is worth putting up with. If, however, you are set in your decision to stay out of school then get your GED, you will be able to get a significantly better paying job with one.

For the situation at hand, if you have the opportunity to make more money for the same amount of work then I say go for it. There is a greater chance for lack of money to cause tension between you and your girlfriend than you working later hours (this is assuming that since you said that it was the same number of hours as your previous job, which you had while going to school, that you were working part time and therefore you would still have some free time to spend with each other). Also if money is a big issue then try to cut back on the cigs, they are quite a costly addiction, both for your wallet as well as your health.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
k3n666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Going back to school is the best thing that you can do, yeah there is some bullshit that you have to deal with but it is worth putting up with. If, however, you are set in your decision to stay out of school then get your GED, you will be able to get a significantly better paying job with one.

For the situation at hand, if you have the opportunity to make more money for the same amount of work then I say go for it. There is a greater chance for lack of money to cause tension between you and your girlfriend than you working later hours (this is assuming that since you said that it was the same number of hours as your previous job, which you had while going to school, that you were working part time and therefore you would still have some free time to spend with each other). Also if money is a big issue then try to cut back on the cigs, they are quite a costly addiction, both for your wallet as well as your health.

Im still goin 2 school just not the high school its like a drop out school 2 get ur diploma
Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Noumi

Go back to shool!!!!

ピラール
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
$haDe

Get some part-time school ....

Did you have one in your town?

I have one, Highschool that study like in university (To have us prepared for college's life << ???)
Old 09-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
Jonathan

Hi k3n666,

Where I live, minimum wage is 8.00 per hour. The average yearly raise is 2.5%.

With a High School diploma and a two year associate degree, I am going to be making around 22.00 per hour. With fun things like medical insurance and a 401k and all that stuff. If I was more intelligent a few years ago and stayed for the Bachelor's degree I could easily be starting at 50k per year instead of needing to work up to it.

Having to decide whether to buy food, gas, or smokes is no way to live.

I can tell you with personal experience that a night shift will murder your personal life.

Get things straightened out while you can.

Good luck. I mean that.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I can tell you with personal experience that a night shift will murder your personal life.
Kind of depends on how many hours you work and what the actual shift is. Over the summer Jake was working nights full time and was still able to have plenty of fun, then again his shift started at midnight and his commute was 10 min if he hit all the red lights, so he was still able to go out to dinner, movies, even parties
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
k3n666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Hi k3n666,

Where I live, minimum wage is 8.00 per hour. The average yearly raise is 2.5%.

With a High School diploma and a two year associate degree, I am going to be making around 22.00 per hour. With fun things like medical insurance and a 401k and all that stuff. If I was more intelligent a few years ago and stayed for the Bachelor's degree I could easily be starting at 50k per year instead of needing to work up to it.

Having to decide whether to buy food, gas, or smokes is no way to live.

Get things straightened out while you can.

Good luck. I mean that.

thanks man
Old 09-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #12
k3n666

Update

Ok so I talked 2 my high school and the only way I could go back is if I dnt miss another day and even then I would have 2 hope I could and the teachers would let me catch up for the past month and a half and its will be so hard 2 cathch up and I wont get credit for the first six weeks

BUT if I missed 10 consecitive days Im out no matter if I wanna go back or not Ive been sittin here thinkin and I cant belive how stupid I was and Im not gone sit here and complain bc I know I got myself into this but I still dnt know what to do about the job o fuckin well
Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #13
Jaye Jang

k3666, Glad to hear you're getting your GED. You're going to need it if you can't get back into school. Let me give you a heads up. Without a degree you will be stuck in cra**y jobs for the rest of your life. Without a high school diploma you will be stuck in worse jobs. Your income goes up commensurate with your education level. Trust me on that one. I am stuck in two dead-end jobs and I have a degree (and I'm working on a second, more 'practical' degree). The economy is tough. The competition is tougher. Upshot: If I can't even get a decent job with a degree, where do you think you're going without even a diploma. The most you can hope for is day labor. Try to do well on your GED, at least and then try to get into some college-level classes. Find a decent job, and then work your way up to manager. That will keep the girlfriend happy, and will pay your bills. Good luck, dude.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
Jonathan

It isn't going to be easy, pretty much whichever way you decide to go.

Just remember that if you are willing to work for it, there is no situation you can't handle. If you were able to put yourself in the spot you're in, you can get yourself out.

If you get the attitude of "I know I screwed up, how can I fix this?" you can beat anything. You might not fix it in one day, but if you don't give up you can dig your way out.

Best regards
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #15
Jaye Jang

Thanks Jonathan, that's excellent advice for any situation.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

I don't necessarily agree high school is absolutely necessary, but yeah, there's no reason why not to get a GED as others said, especially as you're smart enough to get into advanced classes if they let you. But that's pretty much as much knowledge as I have, as we're probably the same age.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #17
Duane

Go back to school, and get a GED.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #18
MollyMac

Tried reading this, decided that in lieu of addressing the whole, I will say that if you go to school you have a better chance of being read and understood
Old 09-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #19
drewsilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3n666
Ok I just droped out of my high school and well lets just say my girlfriend is not 2 happy bout this and she says that with me dropping out getting a new job and workin later hours that we are gone fuss more and we might not be able 2 make it....so should I stay with the shitty job were after I pay my bills I can hardly buy my gas and cigs or should I take the new job and work the same hours just later @ night and make enough?
No, go your ass back to high school and finish, then you can get yourself a better job and not have to sweat about stuff like this.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:44 PM   #20
Mealla

I know it's what everyone has said pretty much, but it's true. Definitely do school. While I know of at least one person who's gotten by ok without a diploma, you will have MANY more opportunities and much higher pay if you at least get your diploma/GED.

Part of getting a good position/high pay is confidence, perseverance, assertiveness, and experience, but a diploma and/or degree will put you in a better position to make those count. Even the guy I know who didn't graduate high school had a very stressful and difficult time making it to a position that made ends meet.

With the economy suffering, there is going to be a lot of competition for employment, and someone with a diploma will look much better than someone without.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #21
Tralis

You need sum advice? I assume you mean infinite sums since definite sums are pretty easy. Usually I try to resolve infinite sums into integrals, if it can be confirmed it converges at a non-infinite point. If the integral can't be integrated symbolically then use a Riemann Sum to approximate its value.

But enough taunting you for your obfuscating use of SMS lingo. I'd say that living on bare bones for a few years while pursuing education is worth it. You will make the money up several times over. Even if what you learn doesn't apply to what your profession will be in the least most employers take education as a proof of merit and intelligence which makes them more likely to hire and promote you. This is especially important as automation and outsourcing become more and more attractive in a number of fields.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote